GM to temporarily close 20 plants

How many plants does GM have in North America?

Not sure...They have been closing plants since June. I tried to find out how many, but no luck as of yet.

Anyone know?

I am not a fan of unions. I have no problem with the concept and see value in it. Provided it truly worked in the best interest of the worker and protected the longevity of the company, so the worker has job security.

The UAW is a good example of how to not run a union. The union which represented Westinghouse workers from my personal experience is how to use a union to destroy the workers job security. I would hate to see the UAW make the same mistakes.

In turn, the worker can use some help in dealing with the company. A union is one option. So the union can play a proactive role, if they choose to and they really need to choose that now. Just as all parties do. The more blame shoving and pissing matches which take place, the less chance the workers and the taxpayers have of the best solution being found and frankly they have the most at stake. IMO.

GM to temporarily close 20 plants to slash output - Yahoo! News

Those that are layed off can thank the Union and a bull headed GOP minority.

No matter what happens, there will need to be layoffs. Hopefully they will be temporary. The fact is that they are not selling that many cars right now. Just making more of them will only create a glut of cars that nobody wants, at least not at the current prices. Selling them below cost to keep people employed is not a solution.

And the bullheaded Dem majority? The vote was 52-35 and there is a Dem majority. Where the fuck were they?

Bidding on Obama's Senate seat? I don't know but I am glad that I did not buy GM stock last week, as I was planning. But the UAW has got to let go of their perks. I am close to the point of saying, let the Big 3 go undeer and see what happens. Still, with all those white collar SOBs at the top who will beating the pavement, there will be many, many line workers and associated industries who will be hurting.

My prediction is Bush will dip into the 700 Billion to keep the country out of a depression. Obama will certainly prop the Big 3 up.

Forum List

Back