GM reiterates Braves won't part with prospects, even for Peavy

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
This is bullshit. The Braves should get this done.

ATLANTA -- General manager Frank Wren insists the Braves won't trade their most valued prospects, apparently not even to bring Jake Peavy to Atlanta.

Speculation about the Braves' interest in Peavy has grown since the San Diego Padres confirmed they were fielding offers for the 2007 NL Cy Young Award winner.

On Sept. 29, one day after the Braves completed their first 90-loss season since 1990, Wren said he wouldn't part with the organization's top prospects.

Wren made that proclamation before knowing the Padres would consider trade offers for Peavy, but he affirmed his stance Thursday when asked about Peavy.

"From our perspective we still feel the same and we are looking to the future when that next wave of talent I spoke of arrives in Atlanta," Wren said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

ESPN - GM reiterates Braves won't part with prospects, even for Peavy - MLB

This is bullshit. The Braves should get this done.

Why? He'd be a rental for just next season until he becomes a free agent at the end, and the Braves won't give him the money he'll want. They didn't want to give Tex the money either. The Braves have always relied on their farm system to develop their talent, and they have one of the best. Why waste prospects on a rental pitcher?

If I were you, I'd be forgetting about competing for the next couple years. You guys are in rebuild mode.

Last edited:
Why? He'd be a rental for just next season until he becomes a free agent at the end, and the Braves won't give him the money he'll want. They didn't want to give Tex the money either. The Braves have always relied on their farm system to develop their talent, and they have one of the best. Why waste prospects on a rental pitcher?

If I were you, I'd be forgetting about competing for the next couple years. You guys are in rebuild mode.

We haven't competed since 1996. Yes owned the divison for another 8 years after that, but haven't truly competed since then. Our farm system is great, but this one dimensional strategy doesn't seem to be working. Besides, pitiching development has always been our strong suit, but with Mazzone gone, that development program has gone to shit. If rental pitchers is what it takes to get a rotation toghether, then so be it. Wren said he wants to add two starters in the off season, why not Peavy?

Last edited:
We haven't competed since 1996. Yes owned the divison for another 8 years after that, but haven't truly competed since then. Our farm system is great, but this one dimensional strategy doesn't seem to be working. Besides, pitiching development has always been our strong suit, but with Mazzone gone, that development program has gone to shit. If rental pitchers is what it takes to get a rotation toghether, then so be it. Wren said he wants to add two starters in the off season, why not Peavy?

Wow I didn't realize the stipulations he had in the contract extension he signed last Dec. Fucking premadonna no-trade clauses, with certain teams allowed and others not. This guy's a douche bag, and he's not really worth all that hassle, he falls apart late in games. I forgot about the extension, because he was GOING to be a FA at the end of the season. You'd have to pick up the remainder of his contract for something like 32 mil for two more years. So I was wrong, he wouldn't be a rental.

He's demanding those no-trade powers in whatever deal he may sign with a prospective team, too. I'd rather put up a couple more bucks and get Sabathia, then try and go cheap and get that kind of ridiculous stipulative bullshit.

If I were you I'd be happy with Hudson and Jurrjens, and even Hampton now that he'll be healthy. That's not a bad first 3.

Keep the prospects, I think you guys need offense right now more than starting pitching. You might want to think about unloading Francouer too, before his value goes completely down the toilet.

Trade him for some pitching if you can, and sign Vlad or Milton Bradley. They are both FA's.

If I were you I'd be happy with Hudson and Jurrjens, and even Hampton now that he'll be healthy. That's not a bad first 3.

Keep the prospects, I think you guys need offense right now more than starting pitching. You might want to think about unloading Francouer too, before his value goes completely down the toilet.

Trade him for some pitching if you can, and sign Vlad or Milton Bradley. They are both FA's.

Offense is okay, even without Tex(That still hurts though). Hudson, Jurrjens, and Hampton? Are you fucking kdding me? None of those three are a #1 starter. Hampton better not come back. If he comes back after siting his ass on the bench for the better part of three years, then I'll watch just watch footbal. :D

Offense is okay, even without Tex(That still hurts though). Hudson, Jurrjens, and Hampton? Are you fucking kdding me? None of those three are a #1 starter. Hampton better not come back. If he comes back after siting his ass on the bench for the better part of three years, then I'll watch just watch footbal. :D

I don't know man, I'm going to have to disagree with you about Hudson not being a #1. His career ERA is 3.48 with most of his career in the AL (3.17 this past season), he gives you 200 innings and stays healthy, averages about 150 K's, averages 16 wins and 7 losses, and has great stuff and great command. He is EASILY a #1 on a lot of teams. There's only a few pitchers in the NL that have better numbers than that.

And Jurrjens just completed his first full season. He did pretty damn well. 13 wins, a sub-4 ERA, 140 K's, 2/1 K to walk ratio, 188 innings...And really good stuff. I think he'll develop into a good #2.

Forum List

Back