GM may have electric car breakthrough

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
August 9, 2012 by TOM KRISHER

General Motors' CEO says a small battery company backed by the automaker is working on breakthrough technology that could power an electric car 100 or even 200 miles (160 or even 320 kilometers) on a single charge.

100 miles isn't that big of a advancement unless it can be recharged within 30 minutes...On the other hand 200 miles would be.:eusa_shhh:

If, and it's a big if, that GM has a breakthrough, current Volt buyers will be pissed (but thatz okay, cuz there isn't many of them).

General Motors' CEO says a small battery company backed by the automaker is working on breakthrough technology that could power an electric car 100 or even 200 miles (160 or even 320 kilometers) on a single charge.

100 miles isn't that big of a advancement unless it can be recharged within 30 minutes...On the other hand 200 miles would be.:eusa_shhh:

It's still not economical. Are you supposed to go out and rent a car every time you travel further than that, like on a family vacation?

It's still not economical. Are you supposed to go out and rent a car every time you travel further than that, like on a family vacation?

Volt buyers are stupid.
They could have saved a helluva alot more 'bread' by buying a primo bicycle for their urban commutes.

If, and it's a big if, that GM has a breakthrough, current Volt buyers will be pissed (but thatz okay, cuz there isn't many of them).

I wouldn't begrudge any "Volt II" owners a better product then what us Volt I owners have received. If I needed more than my Volt delivers, I wouldn't have bought it, but as it stands it has plenty of range for roosting around suburbia and does it's job great. So Volt II may go farther on a charge? Cool! But the Volt I does just fine...unless I want to try and commute in from the Xurbs or something, and then its replacement wouldn't be a Volt II, but an econobox of some sort.

Volt buyers are stupid.
They could have saved a helluva alot more 'bread' by buying a primo bicycle for their urban commutes.

You buy what you want with your dough, and don't be telling me what to buy with mine. I haven't been to a gasoline station and forced to buy foreign based fuels in more than a month at tnis point, try that with your monster truck. And when bicycles grow decent air conditioning, let me know and I'll give one of those a try, otherwise the Volt choice looks quite a bit smarter than you imply.

The model T ford was a bag of crap.
It had limited range, was slow and needed quite a lot of work to keep the thing on the road.
Fuel, although several types were usable, wasn't always easy to get.

People bought the thing by the millions.

To the posters who knock new technology as imperfect.
Get a life just after you turn your brains on.

It had limited range, was slow and needed quite a lot of work to keep the thing on the road.

You should turn yours on instead of regurgitate what the DNC feeds you. Do you know why so many people bought Model-T's?

Obviously you don't so let me help you:

It was the first car that was affordable to to general population.
The Volt is not afforable to the general population.

You should turn yours on instead of regurgitate what the DNC feeds you. Do you know why so many people bought Model-T's?

I did know why.
However, the same idea holds true.
Imperfect technology improves. If everyone waits for the improved version, it'll never happen.

Think positive - your life works out better than if you're a moaning old pillock.

I did know why.
Imperfect technology improves. If everyone waits for the improved version, it'll never happen.

Think positive - your life works out better than if you're a moaning old pillock.

Thinking positive isn't going to bring the Volt down to something affordable.

More information

(Update) August 9, 2012 by TOM KRISHER

A small battery company backed by General Motors is working on breakthrough technology that could power an electric car 100 (160 kilometers) or even 200 miles (320 kilometers) on a single charge in the next two-to-four years, GM's CEO said Thursday.
Speaking at an employee meeting, CEO Dan Akerson said the company, Newark, California-based Envia Systems, has made a huge breakthrough in the amount of energy a lithium-ion battery can hold. GM is sure that the battery will be able to take a car 100 miles (160 kilometers) within a couple of years, he said. It could be double that with some luck, he said. "I think we've got better than a 50-50 chance," Akerson said, "to develop a car that will go to 200 miles on a charge," he said. "That would be a game changer." GM's current electric car, the Chevrolet Volt, goes about 35 miles on a charge and has a small gas motor that generates power to keep the car going after that. Few competitors have electric cars with more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) of range. Tesla Motors' Model S can go up to 300 miles (480 kilometers), but it has a much larger battery and can cost more than twice as much as a Volt. Nissan's Leaf and Ford's Focus electric cars both claim ranges of around 100 miles (120 kilometers), but that can vary with temperature, terrain and speed. Envia said earlier this year that its next-generation rechargeable lithium-ion cell hit a record high for energy density. The company said the new battery could slash the price of electric vehicles by cutting the battery cost in half. GM Ventures LLC, the automaker's investment arm, put $7 million into Envia in January of 2011.
Read more at: GM may have electric car breakthrough (Update)

Last edited:

That is true. What brings the Volt down below the median new car price in America are the subsidies, which are great, and of course, make it completely affordable. Unless you define "affordable" as some 15 year old, 200k clunker, rather than a modern, new, quiet, fast and gasoline free, made in America marvel of modern engineering.

If you can afford the median car price in America, you can afford a Volt. So can "the general population" afford a median priced new car in America nowadays, or not?

At this point electric cars have a number of problems to overcome before the masses accept them.
1. Range even a 100 mile range is too short, to be acceptable they must have the same range as a gas powered vehicle. Meaning at least 300 miles.
2. Time to recharge... Should be equivalent to filling the tank on you gas vehicle. Otherwise a second vehicle is needed for longer trips.
3. Battery life. Now I believe that some batteries are warrantied for 5 years and 100,000 miles
It would cost you upwards of 5 grand to replace the battery. Think of how that will affect the resale value of the 4 year old Prius with 93,000 miles.
Electric cars are not ready for Prime time just yet.

Last edited:

I did know why.

This is easy enough.
I don't buy apple product because they cost more and don't work as well for me, as Android.
I don't rant on about how crap Apple is.

The volt my not work for you but it will for many and those people will encourage development of cheaper, better cars in the future.

What you're also missing is, that same technology is used in many other things.
The latest electric motorbikes are getting pretty good.
They're faster and go further than ever before and are likely to become popular very soon.

I'm taking a serious look at one.

You are aware that we had electric cars in the 1800s -- aren't you? And some of them probably had close to the range of a Chevy Volt.. New tech no.. But packaged a helluva lot more nicely...

I mock it from a BIG PICTURE point of view. Because SOMEONE has to care where all the additional electricity is gonna come from when you move transportation from oil to electric.
Especially when I'm supposed to buying squiggly bulbs, turning down my thermostat and watching the lights go out in the airport while I'm trying to read. We need to get real about the messages that are being sent. Having some folks feed their EVs and having Safeway keep their signs on all night -- whilst I freeze my buns off and grab 1W phone chargers out of the wall --- that's not even comical..

You are aware that we had electric cars in the 1800s -- aren't you? And some of them probably had close to the range of a Chevy Volt.. New tech no.. But packaged a helluva lot more nicely...

I mock it from a BIG PICTURE point of view. Because SOMEONE has to care where all the additional electricity is gonna come from when you move transportation from oil to electric.
Especially when I'm supposed to buying squiggly bulbs, turning down my thermostat and watching the lights go out in the airport while I'm trying to read. We need to get real about the messages that are being sent. Having some folks feed their EVs and having Safeway keep their signs on all night -- whilst I freeze my buns off and grab 1W phone chargers out of the wall --- that's not even comical..

Short sighted.
As EVs become more efficient, the internal combustion engine will be a thing of the past.
The infrastructure argument is really very silly.
There were no petrol stations before the motor car became popular but the power grid is already in place and will be upgraded to cope with the new demand.
Demand that will, eventually, be served by alternative energy, not oil.

The US is dependent on oil and most of that is middle eastern oil.
The US government knows this and wants freedom from that dependency.

Big picture time.

Forum List

Back