GM is trying to bring down the VOLT price

The primary cost of an EV remains the battery. Several companies are working on this, a pair of them in Portland, Oregon. When the price of the battery is brought down by an order of magnitude, and the power increased at the same time by a factor of 2 to 10, we will see EVs become the vehicle of choice.

GM announced that it had sold 321 Chevy Volts. This is in addition to the 326 Volts sold in December, indicating 647 have so far reached customers.
Just think! At this rate, in only 463 years, everyone in America will have a Chevy Volt! Good job guys! :lol:

Economics 101. What do you do with an expensive product nobody wants to buy? Lower the price and keep your fingers crossed.

The primary cost of an EV remains the battery. Several companies are working on this, a pair of them in Portland, Oregon. When the price of the battery is brought down by an order of magnitude, and the power increased at the same time by a factor of 2 to 10, we will see EVs become the vehicle of choice.

How are these good again?

Obama told him so.

For people who just need a runabout car, or have a very short commute they will eventually be superior to ICE based cars. Just look at all the crap you can get rid of when you remove the engine. Engine, coolant, alternator, fuel system, exhaust, etc.

You basically remove many of the things that require maintenance, and only get a few new items back. Your maintenance costs go down a whole lot based on what I see.

Thier downside is still limited range and overall power, as well as charge times. Charge times will stop being an issue once you get the time it takes to charge down to the time it takes to fill the gas tank.

They should give them away. After all, they're into the American taxpayers for billions. We've already bought the damn things.

I wouldn't want one even if you gave it to me for free. I have no use for a sub-compact car. My hobbies and activities require me to be able to move significant amounts of material in the vehicle with me at times. The Volt/Leaf and any of those other "Rollerskates with Inflated Egos" are not the sort of vehicle I would ever even consider purchasing.

321 Volts vs. 87 Leafs is not exactly Record Shattering Volume.

Just sayin'.

They should give them away. After all, they're into the American taxpayers for billions. We've already bought the damn things.

I wouldn't want one even if you gave it to me for free. I have no use for a sub-compact car. My hobbies and activities require me to be able to move significant amounts of material in the vehicle with me at times. The Volt/Leaf and any of those other "Rollerskates with Inflated Egos" are not the sort of vehicle I would ever even consider purchasing.

You do have a lot of baggage.

Government_Motors__99390_zoom.jpg

Me, neither. Simply not practical for my purposes.

That's how we feel. There's no way the five of us (plus a dog) would fit into a Volt. We purposely bought the car we did (Honda Pilot) so we could separate the three kids from each other. Stopped the insanity on long car rides!

I always thought of those tiny cars as aerobic sneakers on wheels . . .trying to appeal to wimmenz and such.

Vans and pickups are the prime candidates for a retrofit to battery power. Acres of room underneath and in the engine compartment. Bodies that on most are designed to last longer than most cars. Use hub motors, and you can get rid of the weight of the engine, transmission, driveline, and the exhaust system. Also the internals of the third member.

We have everything but the battery already. That is the one factor that we lack. ReVolt's zinc-air may do the trick, if they can create one that they can manufacture at a reasonable price.

Vans and pickups are the prime candidates for a retrofit to battery power. Acres of room underneath and in the engine compartment. Bodies that on most are designed to last longer than most cars. Use hub motors, and you can get rid of the weight of the engine, transmission, driveline, and the exhaust system. Also the internals of the third member.

We have everything but the battery already. That is the one factor that we lack. ReVolt's zinc-air may do the trick, if they can create one that they can manufacture at a reasonable price.

The electric car and, eventually Hydrogin, arethe only things that frightens the greedy sand dwellers. I agree with you totally. I think we are very close to a viable alternative to the gasoline engine. I really hope to own an electric car before I pass on.

Forum List

Back