GM crops myth

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by RodISHI, Jan 29, 2010.

1. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Feeding the world with GM food is a myth push on the general population for a buck and control over the masses just like Obamacare, and The National Animal Identification System (NAIS).

We used to go into Gary's store in Eagleville, MO fairly often. He died suddenly just a few months ago. Monsanto thug threatening him does not surprise me at all. Monsanto's rep, “Monsanto is big. You can’t win. We will get you. You will pay.” Monsanto owns cargill, the CEO of Cargill was at WF as CEO until a few years ago, he was still on the borad last I had read. In our case WF just used the sheriff/have gun will travel here to do there dirty work.
    Video worth watching.
    The Funny Farm: MONSANTO IS WAY MORE EVIL THAN I EVER COULD HAVE IMAGINED

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    What a dishonest, spin of a thread. So one GM crop isn't as sufficient and that means all of its a crock? and the second, link, what does that have to do with GM crops?

This is the type of shit that is preventing nutrient deprived african nations and other starving nations from receiving GM crops that can overcome micronutrient malnutrition that effects millions.

"Golden Rice" was developed 10 years ago which is packed with Beta Carotene, precursor of vitamin A I believe, but has not taken off thanks to this disinformation and ignorant fears from people, a lot in Europe who are against GM.

There is also a GM modified crop whichi is the main crop in Africa, because it can grow anywhere and doesn't require a lot of water. It's the major source of food in many African nations, but it lacks nutrients. The GM modified one has an protein added into it that leads to the production of more nutrients, 40X more, which would help end the micronutrient malnutrition labeled the "silent killer" due to the slow starvation that occurs.

GM crops could be bought by grain makers, cereal makers, etc so companies can make money, and given to these starving nations. We can have cereals and bread packed with more nutrients that the natural version can.

Also there are GM crops that provide natural pesticide resistance

There are some questionable Monsanto things that go on, like if their GM crops spills onto a neighboring farm and they charge them with patent infringement. But then again, they spent lots of money developing the products, and they should make money off of it as any business should. If farmers steal their product and try to get it for free, they should be charged with infringement. I wonder how many of those cases were farmers who actually stole it, instead of their claims that it just blew onto their farms.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    GM is really about controlling the Seed supply. And the resulting profits.

why I use heirloom seeds in my garden.

4. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    No, its about a business. If you want the benefits of GM crops, you have to pay for it, becuase the company spent money on it.

You don't have to have GM crops if you don't want to.

why should companies give their product away for free? How to make a profit if the selling of the seeds is a one time deal?

And scientist want to make foods more hearty, easier to grow. Not everybody is a corporate giant like monsanto, and GM crops can have wonderful benefits. Everything isn't some giant conpiracy

5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,103
    GM crops are helping to feed the world.

6. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200

They haven't even realized the potential, thanks to European meddling and their ignorant fears of GM. Read a Scientist article about how European countries are influencing african nations to resist GM crops, plus the fact their isn't strong science in those countries, so they are already no informed and can be easiliy swayed.

Golden rice was ready to go 10 years ago, and nothing ever happend with it thanks to the irrational and ignorant fears of GM

7. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    You evidently are behind on the times with the disinformation you like to spread.

Wow even an original main sponsor of golden rice is back tracking. Wonder why is that, do you know?

Did you know that based on the information for these particular GM seeds from the industry that if they are calculated into real figures of dietary needs that it would take 3.7 kilograms /8.1 pounds of dry weight rice to actually sustain the dietary needs of vitamin A for a pregnant woman? That much dry rice is about nine kilograms/nineteen pounds of cooked rice a day! In order for a pregnant woman to get the daily needed of vitamin A from Golden Rice she would have to eat nine kilograms/eight pounds of that rice a day.

Does one really have to be a scientist to know that plant pollen spreads naturally?

Can you tell me what is really happening to the bee colonies and what now is killing the butterflies ?

If you can answer the bee and butterfly question in truth and honesty then add in that why the bats are dying off rapidly too. Or just keep on showing you are stuck in propaganda mode for unethical profiteers and just can't break the habit.

That myth is already busted.

Golden Genes and World Hunger: Let Them Eat Transgenic Rice?

8. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    wow, you quote some guy, cutting out the rest, and totally misconstrue it. "it needs more development" how is that backtracking? its a fact

Sorry, 1 billion people starving in the world, there is no myth to that. 'the money made form the "rich world", as I already mentioned, would allow them to give it to the poor world for free. Why did you ignore that?

Yes, There can be spreading and I mentioned if its non intentional they should be able to sue, but I"m willing to bet many of the claims are done intentionally. And its very easy for them to make sterile plants that don't produce seeds. I'm really surprised they haven't already done that, so I can see that issue going way in the future. But that likely costs a lot more than having regenerated seeds.

You can't even google it without seeing a bunch of biased, anti GM bullshit websites, no wonder so many are ignorant

This website seems to cover GM crops pretty good, bringing up the issues and concerns
    Genetically Modified Foods: Harmful or Helpful?

9. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Your rhetoric is bogus. If the rich gave a damn about people they would not be peddling tainted food to the middle class and the poor to make a profit and turn right around and try to tax the people for what they are doing as they destroy nature.

Since you will not answer that question about the butterflies let me help you out. Then again you may claim that studies at the Cornell University the late 90's are "just biased, anti GM bullshit".
    BBC News | SCI/TECH | Scientists discuss GM threat to butterflies

It may be okay with you that GM foods are killing the environment but it is not okay with millions of others.

It may be okay with you that companies like this go around and threatened and cheat citizens but it is not with me or millions of others who value freedom.

Now let us step up and look at this ten years after that initial Cornell report.

People around the globe are asking, "Where have all the butterflies gone?" Excuses from cell phone to climate change have been used as reason why the sudden decrease in the population of the butterflies by GM company bloggers. Spreading misinformation to lull the public into accepting this scam of stealing life. Scientist who studied these ill effects and report the GMO devastation that has spread like cancer around the globe have been threatened, fired and institutions have been stripped of grant money that normally keep these independent studies going.

Environmental Effects of Genetically Modified Food Crops -- Recent Experiences | Union of Concerned Scientists

Say No To GMOs! - July 2009

Saving the Seeds of the Next Green Revolution by Fred Pearce: Yale Environment 360
    Why I Still Oppose<Br> Genetically Modified Crops by Verlyn Klinkenborg: Yale Environment 360
    David Cronin: Monsanto shouldn't grow GM corn in Europe | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Environmental Toxins

10. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I even stated it in my earlier response, did you even bother reading it?

By charging grain and other food companies in this country, who can afford it, packing foods with even more vitamins and minerals, than a company can still make money and give their product to the impoverished nations.

You deny that a billion people in the world are suffering from malnutrition, many literally starving to death?