Glory

Moi

Sep 2, 2003
The ONLY GOOD place
This is an old movie, but I just watched it again on HBO. I'm reminded of when I saw the previews I thought what serious miscasting this was but I would give them each an Oscar...they were so believeable. Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Andre Braugher and Cary Elwes really became their characthers.

I loved the movie.

I agree, great movie. And, yeah, Matthew Broderick does sound like an odd choice for a Civil War movie, but he pulled it off really well.

The music score is great in this movie. I also liked Gettysburg which also had a good music theme. The problem is they are not big money makers.

Agreed, pandering to the masses is so rampant. I'm glad that the people who made Glory did so anyway- it's made it's money off of me b/c I've seen it in the theatre and every year since on video.

I wasn't as impressed with Gettysburg but that's probably because it was so long and spread out. The town itself is one of my favorites of all time.

I think that new movie Cold Mountain that's coming out is about the civil war (or takes place during it). Apparently, it's supposed to be really good.

Agreed, pandering to the masses is so rampant.

This is so true, especially in movies. I can kind of see where the studios would want to pander to the masses, though. All told, between marketing and everything, they put an average of $50-75 million into a major movie, I can see why they would want to appeal to the largest audience possible. Unfortunately, for people like me who think the masses are a bunch of idiots, we kinda get screwed.

Now I have to agree Moi, I saw Glory for the first time down with my Dad when he was living in SC - I thought that was a GREAT movie, and the music fit it Perfectly. I had my Father make me a CD from it, listened to it the whole ride home. Mind you, I was riding with just Jaelynn and Jared. Jared wasn't thrilled and gave me the "AGAIN" everytime I played it! hehehe! but it was good. I had no idea it was playing on HBO or I would have watched it. I am sure it will be playing again and again, so will look for it.

Originally posted by Moi
I wasn't as impressed with Gettysburg but that's probably because it was so long and spread out. The town itself is one of my favorites of all time.
That would be great to be so close to so much history and be able to visit those places. There is a different mind set as it relates to history in the west.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
That would be great to be so close to so much history and be able to visit those places. There is a different mind set as it relates to history in the west.
I do feel somewhat fortunate. I was born in NY but raised in Virginia. My backyard, literally, was the Bull Run Battlefield (aka Manassas). All thoughout Virginia there is history- both revolutionary and civil war. Same history in NY except that the civil war isn't actual battlefields though.

I am also fortunate that my family came here in the 1920 and 1940 timeframe so the US history was very important in my family as they wanted to know their new country very well.

Why do you say it's different out west? There must be a lot of rich history out there as well.

There is history, but it is much younger. I remember living in New York for a few years, someone I knew was telling me about a house that was 400 years old in his home town. At the time he told me that it actually seemed a little surreal to think of a 400 year old house, becuase I just was not used to such a thought. Nothing out here is that old.
Also I believe you have more of a connection to history if you can see it or be around it. Most of the our countries more historical periods were in your area, ie the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Now of course there is plenty of history out West and it is important to remember as well. You can go see battlefields or residences of historical people in our nation's history, that is great. But I can go see Ghost Towns, those are cool.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jimnyc
Zia....New York.... I wonder....Hmmmm

What is it that you wonder, JIMNYC?

Thank you Eric for the welcome.

Originally posted by zia_nayawka
What is it that you wonder, JIMNYC?

I know this retarded girl that works down the road from me, your name just reminded me of her. You don't have any roots in Canada, do you? :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back