Glory

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Moi, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is an old movie, but I just watched it again on HBO. I'm reminded of when I saw the previews I thought what serious miscasting this was but I would give them each an Oscar...they were so believeable. Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Andre Braugher and Cary Elwes really became their characthers.

I loved the movie.

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I agree, great movie. And, yeah, Matthew Broderick does sound like an odd choice for a Civil War movie, but he pulled it off really well.

3. Jack

Jack "Dirty Jack"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The music score is great in this movie. I also liked Gettysburg which also had a good music theme. The problem is they are not big money makers.

4. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Agreed, pandering to the masses is so rampant. I'm glad that the people who made Glory did so anyway- it's made it's money off of me b/c I've seen it in the theatre and every year since on video.

I wasn't as impressed with Gettysburg but that's probably because it was so long and spread out. The town itself is one of my favorites of all time.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I think that new movie Cold Mountain that's coming out is about the civil war (or takes place during it). Apparently, it's supposed to be really good.

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    This is so true, especially in movies. I can kind of see where the studios would want to pander to the masses, though. All told, between marketing and everything, they put an average of $50-75 million into a major movie, I can see why they would want to appeal to the largest audience possible. Unfortunately, for people like me who think the masses are a bunch of idiots, we kinda get screwed.

7. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Now I have to agree Moi, I saw Glory for the first time down with my Dad when he was living in SC - I thought that was a GREAT movie, and the music fit it Perfectly. I had my Father make me a CD from it, listened to it the whole ride home. Mind you, I was riding with just Jaelynn and Jared. Jared wasn't thrilled and gave me the "AGAIN" everytime I played it! hehehe! but it was good. I had no idea it was playing on HBO or I would have watched it. I am sure it will be playing again and again, so will look for it.

8. zia_nayawka

zia_nayawka Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great movie!

9. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    welcome Zia !:)

10. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    That would be great to be so close to so much history and be able to visit those places. There is a different mind set as it relates to history in the west.