Glorifying the single mother?

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
Has anyone noticed in the last few years, the glorifying of the single mother? At least once a day my Facebook feed shows yet another "single mothers are superheroes" or some such thing.

Why?

Single mothers= women who choose poor life partners.

What is with the attempt to turn caring for your own child into some sort of special achievement? :confused:

Has anyone noticed in the last few years, the glorifying of the single mother? At least once a day my Facebook feed shows yet another "single mothers are superheroes" or some such thing.

Why?

What is with the attempt to turn caring for your own child into some sort of special achievement? :confused:

Its not just with single moms. Parts of our society see the need for positive reinforcement with regards to just about everything. While this by itself is not bad, it is the subsequent taboo on pointing out certain life-choices can be detrimental that causes problems in my opinion.

Why?

after my father died, my mom was a single mother of six.

did she choose a poor life partner?

I never said we should trash single mothers, and I never said they were to blame for divorce. I said if you're a single mother, you choose poorly in a father for your child.

However, I don't think we should be holding up the status of single parent as something wonderful or that caring for your own child as something special.

I never said we shpd trash single mothers, and I never said they were to blame for divorce. I said if you're a single mother, you choose poorly in a father for your child.

However, I don't think we should be holding up the status of single parent as something wonderful or that caring for your own child as something special.

so is this 50% of the male population is the fault of women who choose to commit to taking care of their offspring

Why?

No I wouldnt say she did.

However I'm speaking of the majority, not the minority. I wouldn't say most single mothers are that way due to death.

Last edited:
I never said we should trash single mothers, and I never said they were to blame for divorce. I said if you're a single mother, you choose poorly in a father for your child.

I agree - but sometimes, making the right choice simply is not that easy.

See? By even pointing out the concept, you are being attacked by someone from the left.

You might have qualified you response to limit it to single mothers who give birth to kids without even considering the need for a father post conception. That would limit your critique to those who create their own situation.

However people like truthmatters will still try to deamonize you because critisizing something a progressive beleives is a "protected group" is the equivalent of secular heresy.

plus it makes you a big meanie.

Why?

No I wouldnt say as did.

However I'm speaking of the majority, not the minority. I wouldn't say most single mothers are that way due to death.

i would say 100% of marriages come without guarantees

What I have noticed is the gloryifing of unwed mothers.
Not a good thing.
We had lots less of them when they were an embaressment.

Not a good thing.

i would agree with this.

I have no issue with someone trying to make an unwed mother feel better about herself, after all a person with self worth will probably be a better parent, and the situation is what it is.

It becomes an issue when taken to an extreme, where even considering that, hey, maybe if you want to have a kid you need at least a "partner" and the means to provide for your offspring becomes being "mean."

No I wouldnt say as did.

Your are correct.

However, I think there is a difference in parents who are divorced and the "single parent " status.

No I wouldnt say as did.

Your are correct.

However, I think there is a difference in parents who are divorced and the "single parent " status.

well then where does the poor choice in life partner come in, if there is no partnership to begin with?

Not a good thing.

i would agree with this.

I have no issue with someone trying to make an unwed mother feel better about herself, after all a person with self worth will probably be a better parent, and the situation is what it is.

It becomes an issue when taken to an extreme, where even considering that, hey, maybe if you want to have a kid you need at least a "partner" and the means to provide for your offspring becomes being "mean."

Yes, exactly.

I would never suggest that single mothers should be shunned or feel shamed. However I don't think holding the status of single parent up as something special is good either.

Single Mom's are the future of this country.
Traditional marriage is considered a joke...
Now the Democrat party is pushing gay marriage and single Mom's as the way to go..

I bet the Democrat party loves OCTOMOM....

Forum List

Back