Gloria Steineim is a Gnat!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Right-Wing Women Have Accepted Their Own Subordination | Gloria Steinem | Big Think

“Any group of people that has been subordinate absorbs the idea of our own subordination and that it is natural and comes to think that the only way to survive is to identify with the powerful.” That is what has happened to many right-wing women who vote Republican, says Steinem.

Why are all these women like Gloria Steinem and Erica Jong, who are frankly no longer that relevant, coming out of the woodwork?

Their ideas of 2nd wave feminism, that you don't need a man, that you can find true self-fulfillment in a career as opposed to marriage and having children, have FAILED many women. To cast out phrases like "Stockholm Syndrome" shows how desperate these left- wing women are. Screeching how important it is for women to work, to prove how "equal" we are to men, have left women disappointed, dissatisfied, and disenchanted. That premise failed women and the generations of ill-supervised children who were raised by TV, the internet, and the pop culture.

Ms. Steinem, it's not about reproductive rights, it's about what you do with the children after they are born. But you don't know anything about that. You denied yourself the opportunity to be a mother. You aborted your unborn baby and now you have to justify why that was the right decision for you. Doesn't it gall you to see strong conservative women like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann with their husbands and children? They always look so happy. Yes you can find happiness in being a mother! What gets you even more is that they've been able to have successful relevant careers! They are in prominent positions and their voices carry weight! Women are realizing that they've been duped by 2nd wave feminists like yourself. People like you and Erica Jong are becoming like gnats that I need to flick off from my sweater.

Yes, I see fear in the eyes of all the liberals. Things are going to get very dirty on the road to the 2012 election.

stong vocal women are never out of vogue. the women on this board prove that.
i'd like to see women speak up a bit more when a "political chick" (by that i mean any women in politics) gets unfair treatment from the press. i don't like it when organisations such as n.o.w switch it on and off to suit their own politics and agenda, be consistent.... great thread p.c. !

i should also add that as a conservative republican/libertarian, i was delighted to see that hillary clinton, yesterday, looked and sounded far more presidential, than obama ever has. she has great depth of knowledge and substance. also it was great to see the dems in power, struggling with the same problems (secrets and wikileaks) that they have so vehemntly attacked us for, for years.
what's good for the goose. there can be no double standard for either subject.

Last edited:
Women who know who they are don't need to be "strong and vocal." They already come over as strong and confident and the "silence" of their confidence speaks much louder than the wails of weak/resentful women who have never embraced their own self-worth as women.

Right-Wing Women Have Accepted Their Own Subordination | Gloria Steinem | Big Think

“Any group of people that has been subordinate absorbs the idea of our own subordination and that it is natural and comes to think that the only way to survive is to identify with the powerful.” That is what has happened to many right-wing women who vote Republican, says Steinem.

Why are all these women like Gloria Steinem and Erica Jong, who are frankly no longer that relevant, coming out of the woodwork?

Their ideas of 2nd wave feminism, that you don't need a man, that you can find true self-fulfillment in a career as opposed to marriage and having children, have FAILED many women. To cast out phrases like "Stockholm Syndrome" shows how desperate these left- wing women are. Screeching how important it is for women to work, to prove how "equal" we are to men, have left women disappointed, dissatisfied, and disenchanted. That premise failed women and the generations of ill-supervised children who were raised by TV, the internet, and the pop culture.

Ms. Steinem, it's not about reproductive rights, it's about what you do with the children after they are born. But you don't know anything about that. You denied yourself the opportunity to be a mother. You aborted your unborn baby and now you have to justify why that was the right decision for you. Doesn't it gall you to see strong conservative women like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann with their husbands and children? They always look so happy. Yes you can find happiness in being a mother! What gets you even more is that they've been able to have successful relevant careers! They are in prominent positions and their voices carry weight! Women are realizing that they've been duped by 2nd wave feminists like yourself. People like you and Erica Jong are becoming like gnats that I need to flick off from my sweater.

Yes, I see fear in the eyes of all the liberals. Things are going to get very dirty on the road to the 2012 election.

Don't you find it somewhat odd that the feminist movement had no problem becoming a national force in politics, given so many women are, according to you, entirely happy with the status quo?

I remember back when my mother worked side by side making crayons for Binny and Smith but got paid about 80% as much as the man doing exactly the same job in the same factory floor.

I remember back when any women who had sex was a slut but every man doing the same thing was a swinging bachelor.

I remember when beating your wife wasn't a crime, but a right of marriage.

You think those things were okay?

You think we ought to go back to those days?

Don't you find it somewhat odd that the feminist movement had no problem becoming a national force in politics, given so many women are, according to you, entirely happy with the status quo?

I remember back when my mother worked side by side making crayons for Binny and Smith but got paid about 80% as much as the man doing exactly the same job in the same factory floor.

I remember back when any women who had sex was a slut but every man doing the same thing was a swinging bachelor.

Women who know who they are don't need to be "strong and vocal." They already come over as strong and confident and the "silence" of their confidence speaks much louder than the wails of weak/resentful women who have never embraced their own self-worth as women.

subsitute "conservatives" for women in the above statement, it works... then try "srong and vocal conservative women"

and

"I remember when beating your wife wasn't a crime, but a right of marriage."

too dramtic, wife beating was never a right of anything.... in this country

Last edited:
http://bigthink.com/ideas/24765“Any group of people that has been subordinate absorbs the idea of our own subordination and that it is natural and comes to think that the only way to survive is to identify with the powerful.” That is what has happened to many right-wing women who vote Republican, says Steinem.
And of course Liberal women would never try to subordinate others and become powerful through intimidation. Oh no, never! :uhoh3:

Liberals and Feminists in general only advocate freedom of choice if they are the only choice.

I would venture to say that there are families out there where the man is subordinate to the woman.

Why are they coming back from ... obscurity? The political climate is changing in a direction they do not wnat and they believe they can help stem the conservative movement by appealing to their fan base. And people tend to surround themselves with people that think the same so they are probably out of touch with reality.

http://bigthink.com/ideas/24765“Any group of people that has been subordinate absorbs the idea of our own subordination and that it is natural and comes to think that the only way to survive is to identify with the powerful.” That is what has happened to many right-wing women who vote Republican, says Steinem.
And of course Liberal women would never try to subordinate others and become powerful through intimidation. Oh no, never! :uhoh3:

Liberals and Feminists in general only advocate freedom of choice if they are the only choice.

touche'

I've done "womens work" and "My wifes job"

I would like to never do that crap again. It's the hardest job with the least thanks out there.

this crap that woman are subordinat is crap.

My wife was in the hospital for 10 days, it was a blessing the house didn't burn down or get infested with something. I was more than happy to go back to getting things down from the top shelf and opening jars.

And she works!

You truly didn't get PC's post, did you? "Status quo" has nothing to do with it. The feminist movement was a bitter, sometimes violent, movement to go to war with men. Women "morphed" themselves into being ruthless men in a woman's body - far more devious and dangerous than some of the ruthless men they so wanted to be. They degraded and derided women who CHOSE to be stay-at-home wives and moms. They created a deep chasm of "worthy women" and "non-worthy women." Women lost a hell of a lot more than they gained from the feminist movement.

"Women who had sex" were looked down on, yes - but in those days the sense of morals was a great deal higher than it is today. Also, those "loose women" were the exception rather than the rule. Today, "loose women" are celebrated and passed around from man to man and/or woman to woman. It doesn't matter anymore.

"Beating your wife" was never a right of marriage. Did it happen? Unfortunately, yes. Has it continued? Yes - and much worse than it was "back in those days."

There were successful women in the male dominated professional arena long before the feminist movement. They didn't have to stomp the hell out of men and/or emasculate them in order to get ahead.

Is the world a better place because of the feminist movement? No.

Gotta love the left... they champion "group-think", and anybody who steps out of line is labelled... well, pick a label.. crazy, stupid, ignorant, insane, subordinate, whore, bimbo, dumb, redneck, neanderthal...

Hilarious.

Very well stated, Granny. :clap2:

My girlfriend knows Gloria Steineim. She says she is a very poised and happy person. Extremely intelligent, funny and comfortable in her skin, she's aged gracefully...and still lives well.

Wife beating wasn't a crime?

Please post a link to the very date that a law was passed and who passed it, that made beating your wife a crime.

and when you fail, please have the courtesy to apologise for lying.

Here's what I think: it's none of your business what makes me, or any right-wing women, happy.

As for "I remember when beating your wife wasn't a crime, but a right of marriage.

You think those things were okay?"...

it may be rhetorical, but it is truly one of the stupidest gambits I have seen.
How idiotic to equate acceptance of being beaten with loving one's children enough to give up some of the perks of modern life, or the exhilarations of an outside-the-home career....

You are usually not this much of a bonehead, so I'll chalk it up to you just having a bad day, or a bout of sincope.

Now, let's see if you remember some of these great moments in gender-history:

1. Radical feminism, proceeds from “a doctrine of original sin: The world’s evils originate in male supremacy.” Patai and Koertge, “Professing Feminism: Cautionary Tales from the Strange World of Women’s Studies,” p. 183

Must I accept this view, or accept being beaten?

2. Radical Feminists claim roles to be ‘socially constructed,’ which means that everything about men and women, sans organs of reproduction, can be altered by changes in the social and cultural environment.

Must I accept this view, or accept being beaten?

3. Feminists refuse to recognize the accomplishments of conservative women. Jeane Kirkpatrick, Margaret Thatcher, Sarah Palin, none could be recognized or honored. Apparently there are men, women, and people who might otherwise have qualified as women but have chosen to be Republicans instead.

Does that mean that these great women are beaten at home?

4. According to Simone de Beauvoir in an interview with Betty Friedan “No woman should be authorized to stay at home and raise her children. Society should be totally different. Women should not have that choice precisely because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one.” “Sex, Society, and the Female Dilemma,” Saturday Review, June 14, 1975, p. 18.

a. Like all totalitarian movements, the goal is not to give more freedom, but to take away choice. Should I assume that this is your view, as well?

I am a Democrat because I believe in women's right to choose. I mean, not a church school or a tax shelter, or something like that, obviously. Let's be reasonable.​

The left supports a woman's right to choose...but some of them look down on her if she chooses to keep her child.

Forum List

Back