Glock

Maybe Kagom and the other Californians can have soe tape recordings made and scare away the bad guys.

And some origami handguns :rolleyes: :D

Mr. P said:
Thanks, snowman.
I've seen that and picked up a lot of good information at that site in the past.
Amazing the gun would still function after all that abuse.

No problem. In addition to Glocks I love the Springfield XD, but I'm really a 1911 guy at heart.

What did you end up going with? Or, which way are you leaning?

kagom said:
Great. I have to wait another 3 years to own a gun. Oh well.

Then you should get some rifles to help pass the time (You're already 18 right?)

No problem. In addition to Glocks I love the Springfield XD, but I'm really a 1911 guy at heart.

What did you end up going with? Or, which way are you leaning?

Leaning toward the Glock 19. A 9mm is effective and the ammo is cheaper for practice. I have a S&W Model 19-4 .357 but shooting it a lot is expensive.

Leaning toward the Glock 19. A 9mm is effective and the ammo is cheaper for practice. I have a S&W Model 19-4 .357 but shooting it a lot is expensive.
I'd recomend looking carefully at the G23, same frame size but in 0.40 S&W. Check the local prices- the ammo is not much more than 9mm, but was designed in 1999 by Smith and Wesson specifically for its stopping power.

I'm not sure where you guys live but here in KKKalifornia .40 S&W runs about $2 more per box of 50 if you're comparing within the same brand.

Usually I buy the Remington UMC 250 round value packs at Wally World if I'm just going out plinking. On the Cheaper Then Dirt website there's a pretty steep price differential: 9mm $46/250 rounds, 40S&W $58/250 rounds.

Glockmail, I'm with you 100% on the effectiveness of .40 S&W as a personal protection round. But for me the difference in price isn't that small.

Anyway, whether Mr. P goes with the G19 of the G23 he'll have an excellent weapon. I'm partial to the G17, but I have fairly large hands.

I'm not sure where you guys live but here in KKKalifornia .40 S&W runs about $2 more per box of 50 if you're comparing within the same brand.

Usually I buy the Remington UMC 250 round value packs at Wally World if I'm just going out plinking. On the Cheaper Then Dirt website there's a pretty steep price differential: 9mm $46/250 rounds, 40S&W $58/250 rounds.

Glockmail, I'm with you 100% on the effectiveness of .40 S&W as a personal protection round. But for me the difference in price isn't that small.

Anyway, whether Mr. P goes with the G19 of the G23 he'll have an excellent weapon. I'm partial to the G17, but I have fairly large hands.

Honestly I have not checked out the price difference, only that the FMJ rounds I buy at the range are fairly cheap, but those are only for making holes in paper and getting the feel of the weapon back into my hand. I keep hollow points behind plastic tipped pre-frags in my magazine when I carry, and neither of those are cheap in any caliber. But since I haven't had to use any of them, on an annualized basis they are very cheap.

Is the 17 a large frame? I have a 27, which in my big hand is a two finger job.

So how are your the trigger pulls, glockmail/snowman?

I dry fired a G19 and the pull was 'clicky' or 'ratchety'. I understand this is common with glock and the .25 cent fix takes care of it. Alittle filing on the trigger bar from what I remember reading smooths it out.

I dry fired a G19 and the pull was 'clicky' or 'ratchety'. I understand this is common with glock and the .25 cent fix takes care of it. Alittle filing on the trigger bar from what I remember reading smooths it out.
I had that problem once, but fixed it with a drop of oil in what I expect is that same mechanism. It is a mass produced piece, after all.

Eh, they're usually more expensive. But I'm 19, therefore it's actually 2 years :D

Ruger 10/22 dude. The funnest little rifle there ever was.... $200

Great first firearm.

Mr. P said:

The overtravel/reset takes a bit of getting used to (very noticeable if you fire it side by side with a 1911) but I personally don't find it to be unbearable. As Glockmail said, a few drops of oil should do the trick. If you end up deciding that you'd like to modify the trigger, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have a gunsmith do it unless you've completely disassembled a Glock frame before and have prior gunsmithing experience.

Ruger 10/22 dude. The funnest little rifle there ever was.... $200

Great first firearm.

The overtravel/reset takes a bit of getting used to (very noticeable if you fire it side by side with a 1911) but I personally don't find it to be unbearable. As Glockmail said, a few drops of oil should do the trick. If you end up deciding that you'd like to modify the trigger, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have a gunsmith do it unless you've completely disassembled a Glock frame before and have prior gunsmithing experience.

No gunsmith, that's why it's called the .25 cent fix.

Read about how-to. Simple really.

No gunsmith, that's why it's called the .25 cent fix.

Read about how-to. Simple really.
I'd be up for it. The wost that can happen is that you mess up ione 25 cent part, and have a gunsmith replace it.

But then again, I use old milk jugs and a houshold iron to repair gouges in my skis. And strings and oak blocks to align the wheels on my car.

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud.

I've read about the $0.25 trigger job and was going to do one but was worried that it might void the warranty (I get paranoid about my guns).

I'm just playing the Devil's advocate :razz:

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud.

I've read about the $0.25 trigger job and was going to do one but was worried that it might void the warranty (I get paranoid about my guns).

I'm just playing the Devil's advocate :razz:

I modify my own M1911A1's, a FAR superior weapon to a Glock, IMO, and I will agree with snowman .... if you don't have any education/experience as a gunsmith, let a gunsmith do it. It's little enough piece of mind for the price.

The way I see it, and always have, is, if you have the tools half a brain the library and now the net, there’s nothing you can’t do repair wise for the most part. I seldom pay anyone for a repair of any kind.

I’ll admit though getting older, I’m growing tired of fixing stuff.

Forum List

Back