Globull Warming

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Aug 16, 2009
Adjuntas, PR , USA
Lake_Imja_Tsho_1997-500.jpg

Himalayan Glaciers Not Melting

Submitted by Doug L. Hoffman on Fri, 11/13/2009 - 15:26

According to a flurry of recent reports by the BBC and other mass media, the glaciers in the Himalayan mountains are melting at a furious pace. Of course this is taken as proof that climate change is still taking place at an ever accelerating rate, despite the fact the global temperatures have remained flat for the past decade. What, then, explains the rapidly retreating Himalayan glaciers? Nothing, because the glaciers are not shrinking. A new report by a senior Indian glaciologist states that the glaciers remain frozen and quite intact, thank you.

The report by Vijay Kumar Raina, formerly of the Geological Survey of India, seeks to correct widely spread reports that India's 10,000 or so Himalayan glaciers are shrinking rapidly in response to climate change. It's not true, Raina says. The rumors may have originated in the Asia chapter of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC's) 2007 Working Group II report, which claims that Himalayan glaciers “are receding faster than in any other part of the world and, if the present rate continues, the likelihood of them disappearing by the year 2035 and perhaps sooner is very high if the Earth keeps warming at the current rate.” Evidently, the bogus reporting was based on measurements from only a handful of glaciers."

I can believe there is some climate change going on. Fact is it would be nice to be a few degrees warmer. But that man is causing the earth to warm up? That's almost as funny as Dinosaur farts.

Now that global warming is being uncovered as a farce it is now called climate change!!!! all bullshit!!!!

The left say that man is the cause of global warming by releasing CO2 into the air.
It has been a long time since I was in school but don't we do that every time we breathe?
So to do my part to stop global warming I have decided on my own to cut down my breathing by 15%.
Since I started I realized how much I look like Brad Pitt whenever I look into the mirror whenever I do this. Also I have been out on three dates with Jennifer Aniston and Megan Fox.heh heh heh and I scored twice.

My dopey brother has tried to get me to stop by saying that it was normal to breathe and he also told me that plants require carbon dioxide to grow and produce food.....

I am so confused by global warming.
My brother is working late tonight so I think I will start holding my breath now.
Maybe that hot chick thirteen from the TV show House will show up tonight to make Jennifer jealous.

I will let you guys know later how my night went.

Granny thinks dat global warmin' is a buncha bunk...
icon11.png

Why There's a Big Chill in a Warmer World
January 02, 2018 | WASHINGTON — Anchorage, Alaska, was warmer Tuesday than Jacksonville, Florida. The weather in the U.S. is that upside down. That's because the Arctic's deeply frigid weather escaped its regular atmospheric jail that traps the worst cold. It then meandered south to the central and eastern United States. And this has been happening more often in recent times, scientists say.
Why is it so cold?

Super cold air is normally locked up in the Arctic in the polar vortex , which is a gigantic circular weather pattern around the North Pole. A strong polar vortex keeps that cold air hemmed in. "Then when it weakens, it causes like a dam to burst,'' and the cold air heads south, said Judah Cohen, a winter storm expert for Atmospheric Environmental Research, a private firm outside Boston. "This is not record-breaking for Canada or Alaska or northern Siberia, it's just misplaced,'' said Cohen, who had forecast a colder than normal winter for much of the U.S.

Is this unusual?

Yes, but more for how long - about 10 days - the cold has lasted, than how cold it has been. On Tuesday, Boston tied its seven-day record for the most consecutive days at or below 20 degrees that was set exactly 100 years ago. More than 1,600 daily records for cold were tied or broken in the last week of December, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. For Greg Carbin of the National Weather Service's Weather Prediction Center, the most meaningful statistics are how last week's average temperature was the second coldest in more than a century of record-keeping for Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit and Kansas City, third coldest in Pittsburgh and fifth coldest in New York City.

575E709D-2879-4C23-B939-604E0AB7F16E_cx0_cy1_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

A layer of ice is broken into pieces floating along the banks of the Hudson River at the Palisades Interstate Park with the George Washington Bridge in the background, Jan. 2, 2018, in Fort Lee, New Jersey.​

Is it just the U.S.?

Pretty much. While the United States has been in the deep freeze, the rest of the globe has been toastier than normal. The globe as a whole was 0.9 degrees (0.5 degrees Celsius) warmer than normal Tuesday and the Arctic was more than 6 degrees warmer than normal (3.4 degrees Celsius), according to the University of Maine Climate Change Institute's analysis.

What’s next?

The cold will continue and could actually worsen for much of the East Coast this weekend because of a monster storm that's brewing in the Atlantic and Caribbean, what meteorologists are calling a "snow hurricane'' or "bomb cyclone.'' But forecasters don't think the storm will hit the East Coast, keeping most of the snow and worst winds over open ocean, although parts of the Northeast are still likely to get high winds, waves and some snow. "For the Northeast, this weekend might be the coldest of the coldest with the storm,'' said Jason Furtado, a University of Oklahoma meteorology professor. "We could be ending (the cold snap) with a big hurrah.''

What makes the polar vortex move?

See also:

Record Cold Weather Kills 9 Across US
January 02, 2018 - The record-shattering cold gripping most of the United States has been blamed for at least nine deaths in recent weeks and forecasters say the worst is yet to come.
The National Weather Service issued wind chill advisories and freeze warnings Tuesday for 40 U.S. states. "Arctic air mass will bring a prolonged period of much-below-normal temperatures and dangerously cold wind chills to the central and eastern U.S. over the next week,” NWS tweeted. Hard freeze warnings remain in effect through Wednesday in typically balmy states, including Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. Temperatures fell to -13 Celsius (8.6 Fahrenheit) near Cullman, Alabama, and -7 Celsius (19.4 Fahrenheit) in Mobile, Alabama.

City officials opened warming shelters across the South as cold temperatures brought rare snow flurries as far south as Austin, Texas. In Savannah, Georgia, where the average high temperature in January is 16 Celsius (61 Fahrenheit), the temperature hovered at -1 Celsius (30.2 Fahrenheit) at noon Tuesday. Hospitals across the U.S. are seeing a surge in emergency room visits for hypothermia and other ailments as temperatures plunge well below freezing. The central U.S. has borne the brunt of the frigid temperatures since the snap began around Christmas. Omaha, Nebraska, broke a record dating back more than 130 years as teeth chattered in temperatures of -29C (-20 Fahrenheit). While Aberdeen, South Dakota, saw the mercury fall to -36C (32.8 Fahrenheit), breaking a record set in 1919.

EF4D7F73-7312-4DB9-9B03-3E818B3548D6_w650_r0_s.jpg

The sun reflects off of snow and ice on a farmer's frozen field in Ronks, Pennsylvania​

Arctic temperatures also caused problems on waterways, for both waterfowl and boats. Firefighters in Richmond, Virginia, freed a swan that was stuck for hours Monday in the middle of a frozen pond. In New York, transportation officials suspended the Newburgh-Beacon commuter ferry service on Tuesday because of icy conditions on the Hudson River. In Florida, several water parks in Orlando are closed because of the extreme temperatures, CNN reported. Tourists visiting the Horseshoe Falls at Niagara Falls snapped photos of flowing water that had turned to icicles.

The Atlantic White Shark Conservancy reported frozen sharks were washing on beaches south of Boston. Meanwhile, forecasters are tracking a storm that could bring snow and ice to the East Coast later this week. The private AccuWeather forecaster said the cold snap could combine with a storm brewing off the Bahamas to bring snow and high winds to much of the Eastern Seaboard as it heads north on Wednesday and Thursday.

Record Cold Weather Kills 9 Across US

And that bunch bunk just gave us a record year of rain, fire, and cold. LOL Love to read the prattlings of uneducated asses, pretending to know something of science. Particularly a few years after their predictions have made asses of them.

Global warming melting Greenland...
shocked.gif

Greenland is melting
The front lines of climate change run through the rapidly warming Arctic. The changes taking place on this faraway, frozen island will be felt much closer to home, wherever you live. From the top of the world, meet the scientists looking for clues of what to expect from a warming world.
Like a bowling ball on a skating rink, the black geodesic sphere of the East Greenland Ice-Core Project’s communal living space stands out against the endless white nothingness of the Greenland ice sheet. But the real action at East GRIP is under the surface. Researchers are drilling through more than 2.5 kilometers of ice, down to the bedrock below. The ice is sliding fast — for a glacier — toward the sea. Scientists here want to know why. The answer may hold clues to the future of the world’s coastal cities. Greenland is melting. As it melts, it adds roughly 1 millimeter of water per year to global sea levels. And the pace of melting is quickening.

If all the ice covering the world’s largest island were to thaw, sea levels would rise roughly 6 meters. Scientists don’t know how fast, or how likely, that is to happen. East GRIP is looking for evidence to inform both those questions. The answers are a matter of growing urgency. The seas are rising faster. And the same processes at work on Greenland’s glaciers at the top of the world could send vast sections of Antarctica’s ice sheet into the sea as well, raising ocean levels even further.

The Arctic is warming twice as fast as the rest of the planet. Scientists studying the rapid changes gather in the small Greenland town of Kangerlussuaq, a former U.S. military base built during World War II. Through the Cold War, this outpost supplied remote radar sites watching for a nuclear attack coming over the pole. These days, military transport planes fly scientists and their equipment across 1,000 kilometers of Arctic ice to East GRIP. They make research possible here and at other far-flung scientific outposts on the vast Greenland ice sheet. Departing from Kangerlussuaq, VOA visited East GRIP and other remote corners of Greenland with the 109th Airlift Wing of the U.S. Air National Guard for a firsthand look at science in action at the leading edge of climate change.

Greenland is melting

Forum List

Back