Global Warming

It's really simple: do a controlled experiment where the only variable is 200/PPM of CO2...can you do that? Why is that so fucking hard?

Like I said, no, I can't make another Earth. But if you like, take a look at Venus. Its hotter than Mercury, but twice as far away from the Sun. Why do you think that is?

Well I don't claim to be a scientist and haven't done any serious formal study of the solar system since college. (And did precious little then.) But I'll take a wild stab at an answer.

1) Mercury has a negligible atmosphere and therefore nothing to keep the heat from diffusing into space.

2) Venus has a very dense atmosphere, so a whole bunch of heat it receives from the Sun stays put.

Specifically, Venus's atmosphere is 97% Co2

It's really simple: do a controlled experiment where the only variable is 200/PPM of CO2...can you do that? Why is that so fucking hard?

Like I said, no, I can't make another Earth. But if you like, take a look at Venus. Its hotter than Mercury, but twice as far away from the Sun. Why do you think that is?
Now, you're dumb on purpose.

Venus has an atmosphere which isn't blown away by the solar radiation wind, like that of Mercury.

Please tell us that you aren't that blatantly stupid......

Please......

But how could Venus's atmosphere make that big of a difference when its less than 1% of the total weight of Venus? That's ridiculous! Its a TRACE amount of stuff and you're telling me it makes that big a difference!?!?

Power is still out in a lot of areas here in Westchester NY because we GOT 2 FUCKING FEET OF GLOBAL WARMING DUMPED ON US.

Westchester, NY is apparently the only place in the world that counts. I guess we should toss out data from the rest of the world, like here:

No Snow in Vancouver: Winter Olympics In Trouble? | Peter Greenberg Worldwide
Olympics in Vancouver are sweating out an unseasonably warm stretch of spring-like weather.

and ONLY use data from where YOU live. Is that scientific enough for you?

But given how much of the supposedly peer reviewed consensus of science supporting global warming has now been discredited or declared suspect

You mean, like less than 1% of it? Wow, yeah, that's a lot

You obviously don't read much even of what is posted on your own thread. Do you get out much?

1.1 million hits

"climate change" - Google Scholar

And they've all been debunked in the past few months.

Sure.

You obviously don't read much even of what is posted on your own thread. Do you get out much?

1.1 million hits

Sure.

Professor Watson, who served as chairman of the IPCC from 1997-2002, said: “The mistakes all appear to have gone in the direction of making it seem like climate change is more serious by overstating the impact. That is worrying. The IPCC needs to look at this trend in the errors and ask why it happened.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7026932.ece

do you enjoy being a useful idiot?

1.1 million hits

Sure.

Professor Watson, who served as chairman of the IPCC from 1997-2002, said: “The mistakes all appear to have gone in the direction of making it seem like climate change is more serious by overstating the impact. That is worrying. The IPCC needs to look at this trend in the errors and ask why it happened.”

UN must investigate warming ‘bias’, says former climate chief - Times Online

Where does he say that AGW has been entirely debunked?

Doctor: Well del, there's good news! It would appear your cancer isn't as serious as we thought it was.
del: That means it doesn't exist, I can just ignore it, and there will be no problems, right?

1.1 million hits

Sure.

UN must investigate warming ‘bias’, says former climate chief - Times Online

Where does he say that AGW has been entirely debunked?

Doctor: Well del, there's good news! It would appear your cancer isn't as serious as we thought it was.
del: That means it doesn't exist, I can just ignore it, and there will be no problems, right?

where did i say it had?

i will tell you that knowing that the report is peppered with *mistakes* and *errors* makes me less likely to believe any subsequent claims made by IPCC. knowing that it troubles the former chairman of the IPCC, who presumably knows more about climate science than i do, troubles me.

your inability to grasp nuances is not my problem.

i will tell you that knowing that the report is peppered with *mistakes* and *errors*

Which report?

Is it the 996 page "Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change" ?

Or the 976 page "Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change"?

Or the 800+ page "Contribution of Working Group III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007"?

Or is it from one of the previous three assessments?

Because I for one find it amazing that in less than 3000 pages there's a handful of errors.

i will tell you that knowing that the report is peppered with *mistakes* and *errors*

Which report?

Is it the 996 page "Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change" ?

Or the 976 page "Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change"?

Or the 800+ page "Contribution of Working Group III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007"?

Or is it from one of the previous three assessments?

Because I for one find it amazing that in less than 3000 pages there's a handful of errors.

i have no doubt that the list of things you find amazing includes some phenomena that many take for granted, like the sun coming up in the east or getting wet if you stand out in the rain.

keep swinging

1.1 million hits

Sure.

I'm glad to see that you are coming around and now agree that much or most AGW hysteria has been debunked, though you are being a bit extreme when you say that ALL the evidence for global warming has been debunked because it hasn't. In fits and starts and with variations spanning fairly long periods, the Earth has been in a warming trend since the last ice age. On that much any credible scientist will agree.

But the fact is that the CO2 has continued to increase unabated for some time now--a trend that is in no way unprecedented--while the warming trend has not followed suit proportionately. In fact the scientific community has pretty well conceded that it hasn't followed suit at all for some years now.

But can I ask you a question?

Why is it so important to you to believe that humankind is dangerously warming up the planet? Why are you so resistant to look at any data that suggests otherwise? Do you have stock in some green energy company? GE stands to make billions, for instance, if Cap and Trade passes. Or are you employed by virtue of some government grant that won't be renewed if the global warming hoax is finally accepted by even the religionists?

i have no doubt that the list of things you find amazing includes some phenomena that many take for granted, like the sun coming up in the east or getting wet if you stand out in the rain.

Though many people do take it for granted, the sun doesn't actually rise in the east. Its actually the Earth spinning on its axis that makes it appear like the sun in rising, when in actual fact, the sun, wrt Earth, hasn't moved much at all.

I'm glad to see that you are coming around and now agree that much or most AGW hysteria has been debunked,

Uhh, no. It hasn't been debunked at all.

But the fact is that the CO2 has continued to increase unabated for some time now--a trend that is in no way unprecedented--
Please tell me the last time this much CO2 was released this quickly.

while the warming trend has not followed suit proportionately.
It isn't suppose to follow suit proportionally. Its not a linear effect.

In fact the scientific community has pretty well conceded that it hasn't followed suit at all for some years now.

No they haven't. Did you just make that up or are you parotting it from someone else?

Why is it so important to you to believe that humankind is dangerously warming up the planet?
It isn't important to me to believe that.
Why are you so resistant to look at any data that suggests otherwise?
I'd love to. There isn't any.
Do you have stock in some green energy company?
I own stock in British Petroleum, Entergy, Fuji Heavy Industries, Intel, and I own some shares of a small-cap index fund. So yeah, I guess there's a few green stocks in the small-cap fund. Why do you ask?

GE stands to make billions, for instance, if Cap and Trade passes.
Good for them. I take it you're against GE providing jobs?

Or are you employed by virtue of some government grant that won't be renewed if the global warming hoax is finally accepted by even the religionists?

Hey, you have a view which opposes mine, so you must work for an oil company.

Though many people do take it for granted, the sun doesn't actually rise in the east. Its actually the Earth spinning on its axis that makes it appear like the sun in rising, when in actual fact, the sun, wrt Earth, hasn't moved much at all.

wrt? what is wrt?

i'll put *common, universally understood phrases* on the list of things of which you are incapable of understanding.

wrt? what is wrt?

i'll put *common, universally understood phrases* on the list of things of which you are incapable of understanding.

wrt - "with respect to"

sorry, we were talking about science, i thought you were familiar

wrt? what is wrt?

wrt - "with respect to"

sorry, we were talking about science, i thought you were familiar

thanks-i'm familiar with science.

are acronyms a science now?

Forum List

Back