Global warming is not people’s most pressing concern

Sunsettommy

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2018
Another article showing yet another poll showing global warming is not a concern.

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Guest opinion by Tom Harris

Selected Excerpt:

"We often hear claims that man-made climate change is our greatest threat. But according to a recent Gallup poll, very few people in the United States actually believe it is. Indeed, even the United Nations own polling reveals that respondents across the world rate climate change last among issues they would like the UN and governments to focus on. No matter how long the list, climate change is always last."

LINK

Another article showing yet another poll showing global warming is not a concern.

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

"We often hear claims that man-made climate change is our greatest threat. But according to a recent Gallup poll, very few people in the United States actually believe it is. Indeed, even the United Nations own polling reveals that respondents across the world rate climate change last among issues they would like the UN and governments to focus on. No matter how long the list, climate change is always last."

LINK
Couple of things. Tom Harris the author is besides someone who works as a climate denier also a mechanical engineer. Not anyone with what would be a relevant degree.
The link provided is a dedicated climate denier website. that in itself doesn't have to be a problem, if the claims made are sourced, which they aren't. Still not a problem if I could find the relevant polls. Here we do have a problem. Global Warming Concern Steady Despite Some Partisan Shifts This is the latest gallup poll on climate. I do not find the relevant polling data and nothing to suggest that only 2 percent find climate not a pressing concern. the actual number stands at around 50 percent. So not only does your link starts from a bias, and doesn't source. When the claims are checked with the claimed source they appear to be false.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

LINK
Oh and by the way. Even if all of this wasn't true. How do people's OPINIONS have any relations with FACTS. If people don't deem something important does that by default mean it isn't? Pretty sure people don't think lightning hitting them is a major issue. I don't think that opinion allows them to play with a kite in a thunderstorm though.

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

LINK
Shows conservative propaganda is working

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

LINK
Oh and by the way. Even if all of this wasn't true. How do people's OPINIONS have any relations with FACTS. If people don't deem something important does that by default mean it isn't? Pretty sure people don't think lightning hitting them is a major issue. I don't think that opinion allows them to play with a kite in a thunderstorm though.
Are you saying there are FACTS that support the agw theory?

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

LINK
Shows conservative propaganda is working
typical left wing retort

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

LINK
Sure there are. The question is are you willing to accept facts when they are presented?

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

LINK
Sure there are. The question is are you willing to accept facts when they are presented?

Hmmm by facts do you mean models and filling in holes with assumption, like our 2000 year old savage ancestors did with God?

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

LINK

Hmmm by facts do you mean models and filling in holes with assumption, like our 2000 year old savage ancestors did with God?
No, with facts I mean facts. Like for instance the FACT that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. The FACT that humans have been pumping that greenhouse gas into the air at a higher and higher rate. The FACT that the average global temperature is rising. You know FACTS.

Watts Up With That?

August 1, 2018

Selected Excerpt:

LINK

No, with facts I mean facts. Like for instance the FACT that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. The FACT that humans have been pumping that greenhouse gas into the air at a higher and higher rate. The FACT that the average global temperature is rising. You know FACTS.
Correlation doesnt mean causation.

No it doesn't but then the burden of proof then switches to you. If you accept that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and you accept that humans are pumping this gas into the air at an ever increasing pace. Then you have to provide me with a reasoning why CO2 wouldn't act as a greenhouse gas in this case. See it's not enough to not be satisfied with an explanation. You need to be able to provide an alternative one. I gave you 3 different facts, that support a conclusion. If you want to invalidate that hypothesis you need to come up with a better one that fits those facts. There are of course other facts available but these are the core ones.

No it doesn't but then the burden of proof then switches to you. If you accept that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and you accept that humans are pumping this gas into the air at an ever increasing pace. Then you have to provide me with a reasoning why CO2 wouldn't act as a greenhouse gas in this case. See it's not enough to not be satisfied with an explanation. You need to be able to provide an alternative one. I gave you 3 different facts, that support a conclusion. If you want to invalidate that hypothesis you need to come up with a better one that fits those facts. There are of course other facts available but these are the core ones.
You need an alternative? How about there isnt enough FACTS out there to have me believe man is disrupting the planets climate.
We contribute an extra 5-7% of carbon in the atmosphere(estimates i have seen). Yes, that miniscule amount is throwing natural climate change off balance?
Basically, I have no interest in disproving a theory with no actual facts to begin with.
Not to mention, by all accounts, our climate SHOULD be changing right now. We are at the end of an interglacial. Couldnt that mean we are still gradually warming? Or its just another blip like how temps dropped .5 degrees between 1880 and 1910, then started rising fast? Could it be the opposite? Who knows!? We have been recording weather patterns for 150 years or so...
We dont even fully understand our planet. Why fill in holes? It seems intellectually dishonest to me.

You need an alternative? How about there isnt enough FACTS out there to have me believe man is disrupting the planets climate.
We contribute an extra 5-7% of carbon in the atmosphere(estimates i have seen). Yes, that miniscule amount is throwing natural climate change off balance?
Basically, I have no interest in disproving a theory with no actual facts to begin with.
Not to mention, by all accounts, our climate SHOULD be changing right now. We are at the end of an interglacial. Couldnt that mean we are still gradually warming? Or its just another blip like how temps dropped .5 degrees between 1880 and 1910, then started rising fast? Could it be the opposite? Who knows!? We have been recording weather patterns for 150 years or so...
We dont even fully understand our planet. Why fill in holes? It seems intellectually dishonest to me.
Intellectually dishonest to me is claiming a theory has no actual facts to begin with, and at the same time NOT arguing the FACTS provided. That was my first question. Are you willing to accept facts when they are provided? I purposely gave the most basic of facts and now when you can't argue them retreat in what I can only consider, your accepted belief. That is to me as intellectually dishonest as you can possibly be.

Intellectually dishonest to me is claiming a theory has no actual facts to begin with, and at the same time NOT arguing the FACTS provided. That was my first question. Are you willing to accept facts when they are provided? I purposely gave the most basic of facts and now when you can't argue them retreat in what I can only consider, your accepted belief. That is to me as intellectually dishonest as you can possibly be.
I do not deny carbon is a green house gas. Why would i? That is a fact. Even water vapor is.
However, that still doesnt prove at all that we are causing the climate to change.

I do not deny carbon is a green house gas. Why would i? That is a fact. Even water vapor is.
Sure, and if you heat up the Earths temperature then it stands to reason that more water will turn into vapor. This means that the effects of even a slight increase in the amount of greenhouse gasses would have consequences beyond the initial increase, the effect would be accumulative. If you want to argue the amount that human behavior has influenced the climate I would have a harder time, since that requires more scientific knowledge then I have. But just by providing the facts that I did. I can at least prove that man has SOME influence on the climate.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
Even AGW scientists dont really believe in it
"ok folks, my speech is over with. Hope you enjoyed the conference on how meat will destroy Earth! Now excuse me while i fly away in my personal jet and eat a 21 ounce t-bone to go to another conference to complain about shit i cant actually prove!"

"ok folks, my speech is over with. Hope you enjoyed the conference on how meat will destroy Earth! Now excuse me while i fly away in my personal jet and eat a 21 ounce t-bone to go to another conference to complain about shit i cant actually prove!"
So the fact that people are hypocrites proves that they don't believe in climate change? It's impossible to be hypocritical about your beliefs? Is that now your new claim? Appeal to hypocrisy
That is a logical fallacy if I've ever seen one.

Last edited:
So the fact that people are hypocrites proves that they don't believe in climate change? It's impossible to be hypocritical about your beliefs? Is that now your new claim? Appeal to hypocrisy
It certainly doesnt give them much credibility, does it?
Its like a parent yelling at a kid about smoking cigs while puffing on one at the same time. The kid is going to make fun of them in their mind.

Its like a parent yelling at a kid about smoking cigs while puffing on one at the same time. The kid is going to make fun of them in their mind.
No, it actually doesn't speak to their credibility at all. Hence the logical fallacy. Everyone is a hypocrite to some extent or another. You claimed intellectual dishonesty a couple of posts ago, when being yourself intellectually dishonest. It's human.
By the way Harley, I don't want to claim that you are a liar, stupid or any of the sort. But I, just like I believe you, are trying to let the strength of the argument speak for itself. And I don't believe your arguments are at all strong at the moment. You don't believe in man made climate change, fine. But you don't seem to have a better reasoning for the increase in global temperature that fits the available information. You also fly in the face of almost the entire scientific community, people who are trained to gather and analyze that information without bias.

No, it actually doesn't speak to their credibility at all. Hence the logical fallacy. Everyone is a hypocrite to some extent or another. You claimed intellectual dishonesty a couple of posts ago, when being yourself intellectually dishonest. It's human.
By the way Harley, I don't want to claim that you are a liar, stupid or any of the sort. But I, just like I believe you, are trying to let the strength of the argument speak for itself. And I don't believe your arguments are at all strong at the moment. You don't believe in man made climate change, fine. But you don't seem to have a better reasoning for the increase in global temperature that fits the available information. You also fly in the face of almost the entire scientific community, people who are trained to gather and analyze that information without bias.
Not for nothing, doesn't it worry you, that in order to be a climate change denier people have someone with no relevant degree come out with a FAKE gallup poll. I mean if the case was strong by itself, why don't you have climatologists coming out of the woodwork posting peer reviewed articles that destroys the entire thing. Not saying nobody is publishing on the subjects but the basic premise of man made climate change isn't being seriously disputed.

Forum List

Back