“Global Warming” Blizzard Hits Across U.S.

Hmmm...... Such a strange time to have a blizzard, the first week of February. Never happened before, right?

Still 55 here in Portland, Oregon, and one of my dumb schrubs is blooming.

Portland is always a great deal warmer than everything east of Hood River in the wintertime.

Snow is very rare here, but last year was the worst here since 1980. We had one day of snow here this winter. That is pretty much normal. Quite a few years, we don't get any.

Portland is always a great deal warmer than everything east of Hood River in the wintertime.

Snow is very rare here, but last year was the worst here since 1980. We had one day of snow here this winter. That is pretty much normal. Quite a few years, we don't get any.

Well, I have lived in Oregon and Washington since the early '40's. And snow every winter was the norm for Portland up until the 70's.

Portland, Oregon-- long-term cold and snow records and ice storms and silver thaws

Winter 1949 and Winter 1950

The winters of both 1949 and 1950 provided residents with two back-to-back horrific winters, which shattered many records, combining both extreme cold and deep snowfalls. Most of those marks were so extreme that they are still easily standing today, eg. in the extreme cold category, the average daily low in January 1949 was 21.0 degrees, and in January 1950 it was 21.2 degrees, both breaking the old "coldest month" record that had been set in 1888. Since 1950, the only cold even approaching these records was January 1985, when the mean monthly temperature was 26.8. But in the cold category, the really outstanding events of Winter 1950 were two out of the three times in history that Portland has been below zero!

Portland's all-time record low was set on February 2, 1950 at 3 below zero. Salem's second-coldest all-time low of 10 below was set on January 31, 1950 (Salem's absolute lowest is 12 below).

Deep and long-lasting snows! The winters of 1949 and 1950 gave stunned residents the experience of living in true "Snow Belt" cities, with weeks-long snow on the ground, and many very cold days with snow deeper than 10 inches on the ground....January 1950's snowfall dwarfs modern contenders, with an awesome 41 inches falling during the long, cold month (the much-touted heavy snows of Decemer 2008 totalled only about half of 1950's)...... Also of interest regarding the winter of 1949 is the little-known fact that a very unusual early-season cold invasion occurred approx. October 19-21, 1949, setting all-time record lows for the dates that in 2005 have still not been beaten-- such low temp. records are found for cities ranging all up and down the West Coast, from Olympia, WA (23 degrees), to Portland, Oregon (27 degrees), to Medford, Oregon (20 degrees), to Sacramento, Calif.(35 degrees)-- and even as far south as Douglas, Arizona on the Mexican border (31 degrees)....This type of major cold air invasion was similar to the range and power to the Siberian Express of February, 1933, which set all-time cold records across several States that have never been beaten.

The Big Picture of Historic Long-term Portland Snowfalls, compliments of Steve Pierce, AMS: During the period of 1871 to the present, Portland's all-time records for snowfall include, at number one, the winter of 1892-93, with 60.9 inches of snow.... The winter of 1949-50 came in third with a total of 44.5 inches, while winter 2008-2009 is (as of January 14) only in 20th place, with a total of 21.3 inches. Within the past ten years, the next-highest contender was the winter of 2003-2004, with 12.3 inches.

Ice Storm 2004 was decidedly puny in comparison to many of the cold and snow events in Portland's historic record, for example January of 1950, or the winter of 1968-69 (see below)....The winter of 1919-1920 is still a record-holder in some categories (see below)

I am sooooooooo sick of snow! Why TF did I ever leave Michigan for the Mid-Atlantic? Two fucking feet of snow? Again? At least in Michigan when snow is expected, folks don't treat it like the Apocalypse. :rolleyes:.

Apparently, Delaware (Biden's state) has almost-marshal law going on - state fines if one is on the road.

Crazy. Yeah, it's unusual, but it's not the Apocalypse.

I am sooooooooo sick of snow! Why TF did I ever leave Michigan for the Mid-Atlantic? Two fucking feet of snow? Again? At least in Michigan when snow is expected, folks don't treat it like the Apocalypse. :rolleyes:.

Apparently, Delaware (Biden's state) has almost-marshal law going on - state fines if one is on the road.

You are hallucinating---You are NOT cold and that is NOT snow. Statistics don't lie.

You are hallucinating---You are NOT cold and that is NOT snow. Statistics don't lie.
I thought that little piece of paper tasted a bit funny. But, it had a pretty picture printed on it. Or, was that a hallucination, too? :eek:

I thought that little piece of paper tasted a bit funny. But, it had a pretty picture printed on it. Or, was that a hallucination, too? :eek:

You ate what appeared to you as snow :eek:

You must treat it as yellow or you're doomed

And, I just picked up my new car on Monday. Now it just looks like an Indian (oops...Native American) burial mound covered in snow in the front. Can't tell it's a car. And, I can't drive it!

*whine*

And, I just picked up my new car on Monday. Now it just looks like an Indian (oops...Native American) burial mound covered in snow in the front. Can't tell it's a car. And, I can't drive it!

*whine*

That's the least of your worries. When that snow melts with the glaciers, you will be under water.

*whine*

That's the least of your worries. When that snow melts with the glaciers, you will be under water.
Oh noes!

Guess I should have bought a yacht?

Waterworld, here I come. How will the drive-throughs work, I wonder?

*whine*

Oh noes!

Guess I should have bought a yacht?

Waterworld, here I come. How will the drive-throughs work, I wonder?

"Drop your order on an anchor, please and you order will be floating up to you shortly"

oh noes!

Guess i should have bought a yacht?

Waterworld, here i come. How will the drive-throughs work, i wonder?

"drop your order on an anchor, please and you order will be floating up to you shortly"
and if i order a 44 oz fountain coke?

this will be the 44th superbowl,obama is the 44th president,there are 44 days from christmas to the superbowl,the saints franchise is 44 years old,on superbowl sunday it will be 4 years and 4 months since katrina,& the saints won in 4 minutes and 44 seconds of overtime to make it to the superbowl!

Forum List

Back