Global Warming Blamed for Deaths of ‘80,000 Reindeer’

Yes, we need evidence. Your word doesn't mean jack shit. My common sense tells me that this information is discernible from the fossil record. Many actual scientists in various paleontological fields produce and verify these data. I am quite certain they know this topic better than you.

And since you seem to be unable to produce any evidence and, instead, start yammering about "common sense", I think the question is settled - you just lack the balls to admit it.

Yes, we need evidence. Your word doesn't mean jack shit. My common sense tells me that this information is discernible from the fossil record. Many actual scientists in various paleontological fields produce and verify these data. I am quite certain they know this topic better than you.

And since you seem to be unable to produce any evidence and, instead, start yammering about "common sense", I think the question is settled - you just lack the balls to admit it.
Try laying off the soy products, dude. You are way way too emotional about this. A purported 1C rise is not causing species to go extinct.

How many new species were added during this time? To get the proper perspective you need to do a material balance so to speak, not count the species you think have gone extinct.

Show us data supporting your contention or bail dude.
That's my point, the data does not exist. You are relying on data in a vacuum. Show me the causation for the extinctions were a result of a 1C rise in temperature over 250 years.

The data do exist. You have seen them in this thread.

Global temperatures have risen by 1.08C since 1910, a period of 106 years.

The data indicate a very good chance that the Earth is entering the 6th great mass extinction.

951px-Global_Temperature_Anomaly.svg.png

By NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies - Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Analysis Graphs and Plots, Public Domain, File:Global Temperature Anomaly.svg - Wikimedia Commons

The data do exist. You have seen them in this thread.

Global temperatures have risen by 1.08C since 1910, a period of 106 years.

The data indicate a very good chance that the Earth is entering the 6th great mass extinction.

951px-Global_Temperature_Anomaly.svg.png

By NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies - Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Analysis Graphs and Plots, Public Domain, File:Global Temperature Anomaly.svg - Wikimedia Commons
Really? That's what you believe that means? What were the temperature rises of the other mass extinctions?

I did not present the temperature increase as evidence of a high extinction rate. I presented that data earlier in this very thread. I presented the temperature data to correct your claim that we'd only had a 1C rise over 250 years.

you enviromental and animal-rights cupcakes need to get a life!

Global Warming Blamed for Deaths of ‘80,000 Reindeer’ - Breitbart
More than 90 percent of all organisms that have ever lived on Earth are extinct. As new species evolve to fit ever changing ecological niches, older species fade away. But the rate of extinction is far from constant. At least a handful of times in the last 500 million years, 50 to more than 90 percent of all species on Earth have disappeared in a geological blink of the eye.

Though these mass extinctions are deadly events, they open up the planet for new life-forms to emerge. Dinosaurs appeared after one of the biggest mass extinction events on Earth, the Permian-Triassic extinction about 250 million years ago. The most studied mass extinction, between the Cretaceous and Paleogene periods about 65 million years ago, killed off the dinosaurs and made room for mammals to rapidly diversify and evolve.

The causes of these mass extinction events are unsolved mysteries, though volcanic eruptions and the impacts of large asteroids or comets are prime suspects in many of the cases. Both would eject tons of debris into the atmosphere, darkening the skies for at least months on end. Starved of sunlight, plants and plant-eating creatures would quickly die. Space rocks and volcanoes could also unleash toxic and heat-trapping gases that—once the dust settled—enable runaway global warming.

An extraterrestrial impact is most closely linked to the Cretaceous extinction event. A huge crater off Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula is dated to about 65 million years ago, coinciding with the extinction. Global warming fueled by volcanic eruptions at the Deccan Flats in India may also have aggravated the event. Whatever the cause, dinosaurs, as well as about half of all species on the planet, went extinct.

Massive floods of lava erupting from the central Atlantic magmatic province about 200 million years ago may explain the Triassic-Jurassic extinction. About 20 percent of all marine families went extinct, as well as most mammal-like creatures, many large amphibians, and all non-dinosaur archosaurs. An asteroid impact is another possible cause of the extinction, though a telltale crater has yet to be found.

Largest Ever Die-Off

The Permian-Triassic extinction event about 250 million years ago was the deadliest: More than 90 percent of all species perished. Many scientists believe an asteroid or comet triggered the massive die-off, but, again, no crater has been found. Another strong contender is flood volcanism from the Siberian Traps, a large igneous province in Russia. Impact-triggered volcanism is yet another possibility.

Starting about 360 million years ago, a drawn-out event eliminated about 70 percent of all marine species from Earth over a span of perhaps 20 million years. Pulses, each lasting 100,000 to 300,000 years, are noted within the larger late Devonian extinction. Insects, plants, and the first proto-amphibians were on land by then, though the extinctions dealt landlubbers a severe setback.

The Ordovician-Silurian extinction, about 440 million years ago, involved massive glaciations that locked up much of the world's water as ice and caused sea levels to drop precipitously. The event took its hardest toll on marine organisms such as shelled brachiopods, eel-like conodonts, and the trilobites.

Happening Now?

Today, many scientists think the evidence indicates a sixth mass extinction is under way. The blame for this one, perhaps the fastest in Earth's history, falls firmly on the shoulders of humans. By the year 2100, human activities such as pollution, land clearing, and overfishing may have driven more than half of the world's marine and land species to extinction.

Mass Extinction, Mass Die-Off Information, Prehistoric Facts -- National Geographic

I did not present the temperature increase as evidence of a high extinction rate. I presented that data earlier in this very thread. I presented the temperature data to correct your claim that we'd only had a 1C rise over 250 years.
And I have presented that the rise is caused by natural cycles of glacial-interglacial phases. So what? Do you not realize that there were similar events? Or do yu think today's saw tooth behavior is different than the other saw tooth behaviors?

Wow... doesn't that look like we have a problem!!!!

proxy-based_temperature_reconstruction.png

Not really. It is all part of a natural cycle that has been occurring for the past 400,000 years. Now do you understand?

epica_temperature.png

Forum List

Back