Global picture of greenhouse gases emerges from research flights

R

rdean

Global picture of greenhouse gases emerges from pole-to-pole research flights | R&D Mag

The far-reaching field project, known as HIPPO, ends this week (September 9, 2011), and has enabled researchers to generate the first detailed mapping of the global distribution of gases and particles that affect Earth's climate.

The team also found that black carbon particles—emitted by diesel engines, industrial processes, and fires—are more widely distributed in the atmosphere than previously thought.

Such particles can affect climate in various ways, such as directly absorbing solar radiation, influencing the formation of clouds or enhancing melt rates when they are deposited on ice or snow.

"What we didn't anticipate were the very high levels of black carbon we observed in plumes of air sweeping over the central Pacific toward the U.S. West Coast," says NOAA scientist Ryan Spackman, a member of the HIPPO research team.

-----------------------------------------------

How Republicans hate that awful word "Research". Well, they could put Republican scientists on figuring out ways to "deny". There many not be many, but the few that there are, are very well unknown.

Been that way for a while.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/jaffegroup/publications/116400a.pdf

China's mercury flushes into Oregon's rivers
Contaminant - A fifth of the poisonous metal found in the Willamette is from outside North America
Friday, November 24, 2006
The Oregonian
The inky smoke belched by chimneys in Chinese cities such as Linfen and Datong contains mercury, a
metal linked to fetal and child development problems. Trace amounts of the poison can take less than a
week to reach Oregon, where research suggests that about one-fifth of the mercury entering the Willamette
River comes from abroad -- increasingly from China.
Mercury and other airborne contaminants collect over China during the winter and spring until Siberian
winds arrive bearing dust from expanding Chinese and Mongolian deserts. Every five or six days, the winds
flush out eastern China, sending dust and pollutants such as ozone precursors high over the Pacific, says
Russ Schnell, observatory and global network operations director for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration.
"The ozone on the West Coast in a few years will be controlled not by California and Oregon," Schnell says.
"It will be controlled by China." The incoming pollution bucks a U.S. trend toward cleaner skies and water.

Republicans want that for us. Think of all the low paying jobs.

Contaminant - A fifth of the poisonous metal found in the Willamette is from outside North America
The Oregonian
The inky smoke belched by chimneys in Chinese cities such as Linfen and Datong contains mercury, a
metal linked to fetal and child development problems. Trace amounts of the poison can take less than a
week to reach Oregon, where research suggests that about one-fifth of the mercury entering the Willamette
Mercury and other airborne contaminants collect over China during the winter and spring until Siberian
winds arrive bearing dust from expanding Chinese and Mongolian deserts. Every five or six days, the winds
flush out eastern China, sending dust and pollutants such as ozone precursors high over the Pacific, says
Russ Schnell, observatory and global network operations director for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration.
"The ozone on the West Coast in a few years will be controlled not by California and Oregon," Schnell says.
"It will be controlled by China." The incoming pollution bucks a U.S. trend toward cleaner skies and water.

Gosh, that reads almost as bad as hydraulic fracturing in the U.S.

But aren't you the same guy that's touted China's advancements in solar achievements?

Global picture of greenhouse gases emerges from pole-to-pole research flights | R&D Mag

The far-reaching field project, known as HIPPO, ends this week (September 9, 2011), and has enabled researchers to generate the first detailed mapping of the global distribution of gases and particles that affect Earth's climate.

The team also found that black carbon particles—emitted by diesel engines, industrial processes, and fires—are more widely distributed in the atmosphere than previously thought.

Such particles can affect climate in various ways, such as directly absorbing solar radiation, influencing the formation of clouds or enhancing melt rates when they are deposited on ice or snow.

"What we didn't anticipate were the very high levels of black carbon we observed in plumes of air sweeping over the central Pacific toward the U.S. West Coast," says NOAA scientist Ryan Spackman, a member of the HIPPO research team.

-----------------------------------------------

How Republicans hate that awful word "Research". Well, they could put Republican scientists on figuring out ways to "deny". There many not be many, but the few that there are, are very well unknown.

What happened to your thread about CO2 attracting asteroids?

So does Obama. He's owned by those same corporate interests. You can't deny that.

Oh please. I thought Republicans were owned by corporations and democrats by unions.

When CEOs give 9 to 1 to Republicans, but the people who work there, janitors and secretaries, give 9 to 1 to Democrats, there is indeed a huge difference. Is there anyone who can't understand that? It's so "obvious".

Don't forget the Republican Party being 90% white. That also makes a difference.

See, everything is actually complex, not "simple".

The Oregonian
Administration.

Gosh, that reads almost as bad as hydraulic fracturing in the U.S.

But aren't you the same guy that's touted China's advancements in solar achievements?

H, they are doing both. Hedging their bets.

So does Obama. He's owned by those same corporate interests. You can't deny that.

Oh please. I thought Republicans were owned by corporations and democrats by unions.

When CEOs give 9 to 1 to Republicans, but the people who work there, janitors and secretaries, give 9 to 1 to Democrats, there is indeed a huge difference. Is there anyone who can't understand that? It's so "obvious".

Don't forget the Republican Party being 90% white. That also makes a difference.

And Republicans are for tax breaks for the rich and abolishing Social Security and Medicare.

That's because the rich don't need Social Security and Medicare. Only the middle class does.

And Republicans are for tax breaks for the rich and abolishing Social Security and Medicare.

That's because the rich don't need Social Security and Medicare. Only the middle class does.

The sad fact is the vast majority of Republicans need SS and Medicare. They fight against their own self interest.

Please Mr. Ryan, can you slam my face with a "shit pie"?

gettinghimsplattered.jpg

Oh, thank you Mr. Ryan. Can I have another piece?

The sad fact is the vast majority of Republicans need SS and Medicare. They fight against their own self interest.

gettinghimsplattered.jpg

Your right about this....Most republicans are on SSI and Medicare...When you have over two generations of something that is so important for retirement of people that have worked all there lifes it becomes a across the board issue that is supported by large portions of every party.

Do we need to fix it, sure if there is a problem with it, but the republicans will likely lose a third of there base if they keep doing what Perry did. :eusa_whistle: I'm a republican voter that will be greatly turned off if old people that worked all there life's get fucked over. They worked hard for it and deserve it! I'm a straight line republican voter.

Some one that worked for 40 years of there lifes, and is now old surely doesn't deserve to be hurt. I'm sure a third or more of my party will agree!

Last edited:
Most conservatives realize this. It is only the 'Conservatives' that are advocating the end of SS and Medicare. Both conservatives and liberals realize that we have to make some changes in both to adjust for the future.

Today, when so many 'pension' plans seem to evaporate when the company is purchased or goes bankrupt, SS is more important that ever. It was a similiar situation in the Great Depression that demostrated the need for such a program. Where people saw the property and business that they had worked for all their lives, and were depending on for income in the declining years suddenly become worth almost nothing, and there was nothing that they had done to cause that.

SS is the third rail for good reason. If you want to see where Perry is coming from, take a good look at his support for the volunteer fire departments in Texas that are fight so valiantly to save people's homes in that drought ravage state.

gettinghimsplattered.jpg

Your right about this....Most republicans are on SSI and Medicare...When you have over two generations of something that is so important for retirement of people that have worked all there lifes it becomes a across the board issue that is supported by large portions of every party.

Do we need to fix it, sure if there is a problem with it, but the republicans will likely lose a third of there base if they keep doing what Perry did. :eusa_whistle: I'm a republican voter that will be greatly turned off if old people that worked all there life's get fucked over. They worked hard for it and deserve it! I'm a straight line republican voter.

Some one that worked for 40 years of there lifes, and is now old surely doesn't deserve to be hurt. I'm sure a third or more of my party will agree!

The Republican leadership and the base are very separate. The leadership wants to get rid of Obama for both a mixture of race and because they want to drain this country dry. The Republican base just can't stand having a black president. They hate Obama so much, they can't see past his skin color to look and see how that their leadership is screwing them over. Calling Obama a radical is "code" for black. He has done nothing radical. Especially compared to the very radical Republican Party.

Just a heads up to all the environmental nutters who troll in here....and a public service announcement for people like Ian, wire, West, Frank, Dave et. al...............

Make sure to show up in here on election night next year. I got a library full of gay MSPaint Photobucket Classics ( ALREADY) that are going to make the k00ks hair stand on end. You know how miserable they are already. That night, these people are going to be suicidal.......and Im going to be rubbing the salt in the wound with spectacular amounts of glee.........and internet party conservatives wont soon forget. A 180 degree antithesis of 4 years prior.

ANd by the way.........to my fellow deniers, a tip for some must watch TV on election night next year. If you watch nothing else on TV next year, make double sure to tune into MSNBC on election night to watch those bozo anchors chewing their arms off. This past November, watching Olbermann sitting behind that desk like he had a veritable telephone poll up his pooper was a rip..........and Im chomping at the bit to watch this communist asshole ODonnell shitting his shorts on live TV. And just to know when you see his level of misery, yo know you're watching the same level of misery going on all across the country with every single fcukking nutter k00k you see on these boards, but particularly in this forum. Naive whackjobs like Chris..........mofu might be doing a building jump that night. Its all good.........make sure to pop on here at some point in time bro's............

Scientists go out and get data which they study.

Republicans, who don't believe in evolution, don't. Hmmm, who to believe?

Forum List

Back