Global cooling or global warming?

I remember reading this report not long after it came out. Yet there are still fruitcakes out there that seem to read a predicted cooling into it. LOL

http://www.wmconnolley.org.uk/sci/iceage/nas-1975.html

The 1975 US National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council Report
UNDERSTANDING CLIMATE CHANGE: A program for action
Review by W M Connolley
This little-read report appears to serve as a useful summary of the state of opinion at the time (aside: I was prompted to read this by someone who thought the report supported the ice-age-was-predicted threoy [1]: as all too often happens, the report when actually read does no such thing...), which opinion was (my summary) "we can't predict climate yet, we need more research".
I know of only two places where this report is referred to in "current" debate (you know others? good: mail me: [email protected]): the page from the Cato Institute (discussed on the main page, the main quote from which is "There was even a report by the National Research Council of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences reaching its usual ambiguous conclusions"), and in a page from sepp [remember, children, a link from this page does not imply endorsement of the contents...], an excerpt from which is below:

1975 = not long ago? :eusa_eh:

not to change the subject,but i read in the paper today that an old fart escaped from some nursing home in Portland Oregon clutching a Globe yelling something about it getting hotter by the minute and ill show those basterds.....had soiled diapers too....anyone hear about that?......

Can't debate the subject, old boy? Too ignorant and dishonest?

Both the Greenland and Antarctic Caps melting at accelerating rates. North Polar sea ice gone before midcentury. Clatrate outgassing already starting in the Arctic Ocean. Outgassing of CO2 and CH4 far greater than predicted in the permafrost.

But not to worry, scientifically illiterate doofeses on an internet message board know that it is all a "Lib'
b
BU'ral" conspiracy:cuckoo:

did Nancy change your depends before you left?.....just askin....

Both the Greenland and Antarctic Caps melting at accelerating rates. North Polar sea ice gone before midcentury. Clatrate outgassing already starting in the Arctic Ocean. Outgassing of CO2 and CH4 far greater than predicted in the permafrost.

But not to worry, scientifically illiterate doofeses on an internet message board know that it is all a "Lib'
b

Have you ever said anything that could be considered intelligent? Just asking.

I don't pretend to be any type of expert on Global warming or global cooling. But I do have to ask.......

How did we get the last Ice age? Or the one before that?

How did all that Ice melt? I know it couldn't have been dinosaur farts. And no one was driving around in any SUV's.

Climate change I can live with. We adjust to it. Mans fault? I doubt it.

Ame®icano;1671817 said:
I remember reading this report not long after it came out. Yet there are still fruitcakes out there that seem to read a predicted cooling into it. LOL

http://www.wmconnolley.org.uk/sci/iceage/nas-1975.html

If you remember THAT, you sure remember experts predictions that "global cooling" will create so much ice at the earth poles, and once ice breaks it will create wave big enough to wipe out coastal cities. Since cooling didn't really happen, the same scientists came up with the warming theory, where if we do nothing, will reach a fever pitch and we’ll have flooding of all the coastal cities, the American heartland will turn into a desert, and most of the earth’s species will become extinct.

Since it wasn't cooling, then it wasn't warming, it gotta be cooling again... And all that was planted by "scientists" that are not able to predict tomorrow's weather accurately, much less decades in advance. Meanwhile, some wannabe scientists are cashing in... Hello Al.

Experts as in Von Daniken? Man, are you full of shit. No scientists predicted that at all. The PNAS article says it all.

I didn't say it was in your article. I reffered to climate experts from that era.

Check out what scientists predicted back in 1970s era.

The Cooling World - Newsweek

I don't pretend to be any type of expert on Global warming or global cooling. But I do have to ask.......

How did we get the last Ice age? Or the one before that?

How did all that Ice melt? I know it couldn't have been dinosaur farts. And no one was driving around in any SUV's.

Climate change I can live with. We adjust to it. Mans fault? I doubt it.

OK, Ollie, here are some sites where you can find some answers. Ice ages.

Milankovitch Cycles

Milankovitch Cycles and Glaciation

The episodic nature of the Earth's glacial and interglacial periods within the present Ice Age (the last couple of million years) have been caused primarily by cyclical changes in the Earth's circumnavigation of the Sun. Variations in the Earth's eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession comprise the three dominant cycles, collectively known as the Milankovitch Cycles for Milutin Milankovitch, the Serbian astronomer who is generally credited with calculating their magnitude. Taken in unison, variations in these three cycles creates alterations in the seasonality of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface. These times of increased or decreased solar radiation directly influence the Earth's climate system, thus impacting the advance and retreat of Earth's glaciers.

Here is where you can read about the study of Greenhouse Gases. It is an American Institute of Physics site;

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

If you will go scientific sites and read carefully what the real scientists are predicting, you might find that the adaptation to what is coming is going to rather painful.

Ame®icano;1671936 said:
Ame®icano;1671817 said:
If you remember THAT, you sure remember experts predictions that "global cooling" will create so much ice at the earth poles, and once ice breaks it will create wave big enough to wipe out coastal cities. Since cooling didn't really happen, the same scientists came up with the warming theory, where if we do nothing, will reach a fever pitch and we’ll have flooding of all the coastal cities, the American heartland will turn into a desert, and most of the earth’s species will become extinct.

Since it wasn't cooling, then it wasn't warming, it gotta be cooling again... And all that was planted by "scientists" that are not able to predict tomorrow's weather accurately, much less decades in advance. Meanwhile, some wannabe scientists are cashing in... Hello Al.

Experts as in Von Daniken? Man, are you full of shit. No scientists predicted that at all. The PNAS article says it all.

I didn't say it was in your article. I reffered to climate experts from that era.

Are you shitting me!!!!!!!!!! I quoted from a peer reviewed scientific article and you throw out Newsweek? Come on, I didn't even think you were that ignorant. Go to the scientific journals of that period and show me where a significant number of articles were predicting a quick and imminent ice age.

Ame®icano;1671936 said:

Are you shitting me!!!!!!!!!! I quoted from a peer reviewed scientific article and you throw out Newsweek? Come on, I didn't even think you were that ignorant. Go to the scientific journals of that period and show me where a significant number of articles were predicting a quick and imminent ice age.

Newsweek's sources are the same as yours. :eusa_whistle:

Ame®icano;1671936 said:

Newsweek's sources are the same as yours. :eusa_whistle:

He didn't read it. It's easier to say "are you shitting me?"

He probably believe in everything stated in Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth.

Here is what's behind it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbLK4RZDdzI]YouTube - Al Gore once again exposed as disingenuous fraud[/ame]

b

Have you ever said anything that could be considered intelligent? Just asking.

yea i called you a fucking idiot...just sayin...

1975 = not long ago? :eusa_eh:

not to change the subject,but i read in the paper today that an old fart escaped from some nursing home in Portland Oregon clutching a Globe yelling something about it getting hotter by the minute and ill show those basterds.....had soiled diapers too....anyone hear about that?......

Can't debate the subject, old boy? Too ignorant and dishonest?

you cant debate someone who will not give someone who disagrees with them any credit at all.....you dipshit believe what Al Gore says.....and thats it...end of story......

I gave you the sites where you could find the number of scientific articles on global warming and cooling in the 70s. There were even links to some of the articles. You give back articles from a weekly magazine that is hardly considered a reputable scientific source, Newsweek. And political statements concerning your disdain for Al Gore.

I really don't give a damn what you think, you are determined to ignore reality. However, when you post bullshit concerning the what the scientists were saying in the past and present, I will present the data to set the record straight.

There is no consensus.

No scientific consensus about global warming « An Honest Climate Debate

Going on 20 years. BS then, BS now.

Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus

Man made? Nah.

Climate Change: Breaking the "Political Consensus"

There is no consensus.

"Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly ... . As a scientist I remain skeptical." -- Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson, the first woman in the world to receive a Ph.D. in meteorology and formerly of NASA who has authored more than 190 studies and has been called "among the most pre-eminent scientists of the last 100 years."

Warming fears are the "worst scientific scandal in the history ... . When people come to know what the truth is, they will feel deceived by science and scientists." -- U.N. IPCC Japanese Scientist Dr. Kiminori Itoh, an award-winning Ph.D. environmental physical chemist.

"The IPCC has actually become a closed circuit; it doesn't listen to others. It doesn't have open minds ... . I am really amazed that the Nobel Peace Prize has been given on scientifically incorrect conclusions by people who are not geologists." -- Indian geologist Dr. Arun D. Ahluwalia at Punjab University and a board member of the U.N.-supported International Year of the Planet.

"The models and forecasts of the U.N. IPCC "are incorrect because they only are based on mathematical models and presented results at scenarios that do not include, for example, solar activity." -- Victor Manuel Velasco Herrera, a researcher at the Institute of Geophysics of the National Autonomous University of Mexico.

"It is a blatant lie put forth in the media that makes it seem there is only a fringe of scientists who don't buy into anthropogenic global warming." -- U.S. Government Atmospheric Scientist Stanley B. Goldenberg of the Hurricane Research Division of NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

"Even doubling or tripling the amount of carbon dioxide will virtually have little impact, as water vapor and water condensed on particles as clouds dominate the worldwide scene and always will." -- Geoffrey G. Duffy, a professor in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering of the University of Auckland, New Zealand.

"After reading [U.N. IPCC chairman] Pachauri's asinine comment [comparing skeptics to] Flat Earthers, it's hard to remain quiet." -- Climate statistician Dr. William M. Briggs, who specializes in the statistics of forecast evaluation, serves on the American Meteorological Society's Probability and Statistics Committee and is an associate editor of Monthly Weather Review.

"For how many years must the planet cool before we begin to understand that the planet is not warming? For how many years must cooling go on?" -- Geologist Dr. David Gee, the chairman of the science committee of the 2008 International Geological Congress who has authored 130 plus peer-reviewed papers, and is currently at Uppsala University in Sweden.

"Gore prompted me to start delving into the science again and I quickly found myself solidly in the skeptic camp ... . Climate models can at best be useful for explaining climate changes after the fact." -- Meteorologist Hajo Smit of Holland, who reversed his belief in man-made warming to become a skeptic, is a former member of the Dutch U.N. IPCC committee.

"Many [scientists] are now searching for a way to back out quietly (from promoting warming fears), without having their professional careers ruined." -- Atmospheric physicist James A. Peden, formerly of the Space Research and Coordination Center in Pittsburgh, Pa.

"Creating an ideology pegged to carbon dioxide is a dangerous nonsense ... . The present alarm on climate change is an instrument of social control, a pretext for major businesses and political battle. It became an ideology, which is concerning." -- Environmental Scientist Professor Delgado Domingos of Portugal, the founder of the Numerical Weather Forecast group, has more than 150 published articles.

"CO2 emissions make absolutely no difference one way or another ... . Every scientist knows this, but it doesn't pay to say so ... . Global warming, as a political vehicle, keeps Europeans in the driver's seat and developing nations walking barefoot." -- Dr. Takeda Kunihiko, vice-chancellor of the Institute of Science and Technology Research at Chubu University in Japan.

"The [global warming] scaremongering has its justification in the fact that it is something that generates funds." -- Award-winning Paleontologist Dr. Eduardo Tonni, of the Committee for Scientific Research in Buenos Aires and head of the Paleontology Department at the University of La Plata.

Scientists abandon global warming 'lie'

Check out this creep...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7rmajxxnc]YouTube - AL GORE: Global Warming Testimony @ Congress 3.21.07[/ame]

Zoom, you claim that there is no consensus. Yet every Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and every major University states that global warming is occuring, and that the primary cause is anthropogenic GHGs.

Monkton has a degree in education, not in the sciences. And most of what he states reflects a basic ignorance of science, and what scientists are stating today.

Americano, whatever you think of Al Gore is immaterial to the debate. The Earth is warming, and we are the principle cause of that warming.

Zoom, you claim that there is no consensus. Yet every Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and every major University states that global warming is occuring, and that the primary cause is anthropogenic GHGs.

Monkton has a degree in education, not in the sciences. And most of what he states reflects a basic ignorance of science, and what scientists are stating today.

Um ... there's that lie again ... we already went over this, no "every" ... not by a long shot, just the ones you agree with.

Um ... there's that lie again ... we already went over this, no "every" ... not by a long shot, just the ones you agree with.

Name those that do not.
Scientific societies warn Senate: climate change is real - Ars Technica

Next week, the Environment and Public Works committee is scheduled to begin debate on the Senate's version of a bill intended to begin limiting US greenhouse gas emissions, with a vote scheduled for early November. In advance of that hearing, a collection of 18 US scientific organizations has sent an open letter to members of the Senate, reminding them that climate change is a real phenomenon, and the best available evidence indicates it's being driven by human activities. The unusually blunt language is coupled with an offer: the US scientific community stands ready to provide assistance to anyone who is looking for further information in advance of taking legislative action.

The organizations that have signed the letter cover a wide range of interests and expertise, from the Crop Science Society of America to the American Statistical Society and the American Geophysical Union. The letter starts by saying that the group hopes to remind the Senators of the current consensus of the scientific community, then gets right down to business. "Observations throughout the world make it clear that climate change is occurring, and rigorous scientific research demonstrates that the greenhouse gases emitted by human activities are the primary driver," the letter reads. "These conclusions are based on multiple independent lines of evidence, and contrary assertions are inconsistent with an objective assessment of the vast body of peer-reviewed science."

Forum List

Back