Glitter power

R

rdean

Glitter-size Photovoltaics could Revolutionize Solar Energy

Sandia National Laboratories scientists have developed tiny glitter-sized photovoltaic cells that could revolutionize the way solar energy is collected and used. The tiny cells could turn a person into a walking solar battery charger if they were fastened to flexible substrates molded around unusual shapes, such as clothing.

"Eventually, units could be mass-produced and wrapped around unusual shapes for building-integrated solar, tents and maybe even clothing," he said. This would make it possible for hunters, hikers or military personnel in the field to recharge batteries for phones, cameras and other electronic devices as they walk or rest.

-------------------

Glitter - new energy?

If you had a portable electric heater, in the winter, all that glittered would not be cold!

If you had a portable electric heater, in the winter, all that glittered would not be cold!

If you go to this site How Many Solar Panels Do I Need? [www.altenergyweb.com] and click on their solar panel estimator towards the top you can get a fairly accurate assessment of what it would take to run one 1500w electric heater all day in the winter. In the months of Nov-February we have an average insolation value of 3 at my locale.

I would need 100 200W solar panels for an installation cost of about $80,000 assuming $20k for installation and gear and batteries and $600 per 200W panel, which is the cheapest I could find. Buy Solar Panels from Top Manufacturers at Lowest Prices

How many of their shirts I would have to hang out to generate that same amount of electricity I am not sure, but the panels would cover 1700 square feet minimum and weigh 4080 pounds, not including accessories or brackets.

Perhaps you should practice reading the whole article, Screammy. They are talking of using such small solar collectors to charge cell phone and small batteries.

The developments in qdot technology by Voxtel of Oregon will soon make very inexpensive solar cells of all sizes possible, with an efficiency rating of 40% or more. At those efficiencies, and at the projected prices, well below the present best of First Solar, $1 a watt manufacturing cost, a home owner would be foolish not to have his own solar generation.

Select the text box that the title is in, and then right-click your mouse to bring up the context-sensitive menu. Select "Custom Animation", which will bring up the animation menu.
If you want it to change colors, create it in the color you want the animation to be done in. Then when you have added the animation, you can go to the "Effect Options" menu...from there, go to the "after animation" drop-down box, and choose the color that you want it to show up in once the animation is over.

Forum List

Back