Glenn Beck is correct...again

Glenn Beck is right about the fact that the progressive movement of the 20th century has infected both sides of the political spectrum. Its the reason why RINO republicans and blue dog democrats. RINOs instantly agree with anything that the far left says while blue dogs instantly agree with most of what republicans say. Its like the progressive in both parties instantly agree with each other while the non-progressives in both parties see eye to eye on most issues.

The question is: Does left and right or democrat or republican matter that much anymore?

To answer the question, no.

However, one could just as easily argue that the Conservative Movement of the last 30 years has "Infected" both sides of the political spectrum.

In addition, the premise that "RINOs instantly agree with anything the far left says" is utterly false. If that were true, we would have passed several legislations last year that didn't get passed.

And the premise that "blue dogs instantly agree with most of what republicans say" is also false. It was true in the case of health reform because they were paid off by the Insurance industry.

So if what you said is what Glenn Beck actually said, then Glenn Beck is wrong.

other than taking a brand new baby nation and creating the strongest, most envied, most properous and most generous nation in the world in a mere 300 years....I guess nothing at all.

And exactly what has liberal progressiism done for America?

You obviously approach this from a contemporary conservative revisionist position as calling our founders conservatives is clearly an oxymoron. The only one somewhat conservative would be Hamilton. Conservatives "supported George III in the American Revolution. Fully a third of the population of the colonies didn’t even want independence."

After asking this and never receiving a substantive answer, maybe it is an unfair question, and in truth, as someone wrote above conservatives are really just a brake on going too far. But in their adherence to tradition even the bad becomes acceptable. It took a civil war to free the slaves.

For those interested in the reactionary conservative approach to life see this book. Harvard University Press: The Rhetoric of Reaction : Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy by Albert O. Hirschman

Oh to your last question: Check out FDR and LBJ sometime. http://frontal-lobe.info/liberal.html

Last edited:
I had a discussion a few days ago about liberal progressives and conservative progressives.

There was one person who insisted liberal progressives are good, while conservative progressives do not exist.

I think progressives hide behind party labels, on both sides.

There is no conservative party, a conservative cannot be a progressive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SQrNpkd29o&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - progressive 1.wmv[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDSz8h6cqhc&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - progressives 2.wmv[/ame]

Sorta amazing that Beck can take a significant American movement towards better living conditions for all and make it something bad. It shows clearly that he is only about propaganda and has little knowledge of American history.

"The Progressive Movement was an effort to cure many of the ills of American society that had developed during the great spurt of industrial growth in the last quarter of the 19th century. The frontier had been tamed, great cities and businesses developed, and an overseas empire established, but not all citizens shared in the new wealth, prestige, and optimism.

Efforts to improve society were not new to the United States in the late 1800s. A major push for change, the First Reform Era, occurred in the years before the Civil War and included efforts of social activists to reform working conditions, and humanize the treatment of mentally ill people and prisoners.

Others removed themselves from society and attempted to establish utopian communities in which reforms were limited to their participants. The focal point of the early reform period was abolitionism, the drive to remove what in the eyes of many was the great moral wrong of slavery.

The second reform era began during Reconstruction and lasted until the American entry into World War I. The struggle for women's rights and the temperance movement were the initial issues addressed. A farm movement also emerged to compensate for the declining importance of rural areas in an increasingly urbanized America.

As part of the second reform period, Progressivism was rooted in the belief, certainly not shared by all, that man was capable of improving the lot of all within society. As such, it was a rejection of Social Darwinism, the position taken by many of the rich and powerful figures of the day."

The Progressive Movement

Sorta amazing that Beck can take a significant American movement towards better living conditions for all and make it something bad. It shows clearly that he is only about propaganda and has little knowledge of American history.

"The Progressive Movement was an effort to cure many of the ills of American society that had developed during the great spurt of industrial growth in the last quarter of the 19th century. The frontier had been tamed, great cities and businesses developed, and an overseas empire established, but not all citizens shared in the new wealth, prestige, and optimism.

Efforts to improve society were not new to the United States in the late 1800s. A major push for change, the First Reform Era, occurred in the years before the Civil War and included efforts of social activists to reform working conditions, and humanize the treatment of mentally ill people and prisoners.

Others removed themselves from society and attempted to establish utopian communities in which reforms were limited to their participants. The focal point of the early reform period was abolitionism, the drive to remove what in the eyes of many was the great moral wrong of slavery.

The second reform era began during Reconstruction and lasted until the American entry into World War I. The struggle for women's rights and the temperance movement were the initial issues addressed. A farm movement also emerged to compensate for the declining importance of rural areas in an increasingly urbanized America.

As part of the second reform period, Progressivism was rooted in the belief, certainly not shared by all, that man was capable of improving the lot of all within society. As such, it was a rejection of Social Darwinism, the position taken by many of the rich and powerful figures of the day."

The Progressive Movement

Sorta amazing that you think Beck was 'making bad' a movement because it was working toward better living conditions for all Americans. He would be the first to say that the motives are not always suspect. Probably many in the Progressive movement are fantatically convinced they hold the moral high ground and the best intentions and superior motives. But as the old cliche' goes, the road to hell is paved with seemingly good intentions as is manifested in Marx, Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Castro and Che.

Beck is 'making bad' a movement that is fuzzy thinking and muddled in its notions and produces far more misery and chaos than it produces better living conditions for all Americans (or anybody else.)

There is no question some of the early progressive ideas worked for the betterment of society Child labor safety issue etc , but like all power structures they just went to far now they are unredeemable.

I think you will see the idependent ranks grow in the coming months.

I would change right now but I want to vote in the Republican primaries, depending on how they come out, I might very well switch, might still switch before then...in fact, what am I doing sitting here...

We should all at the very least be concerned that Glen Beck has taken on the role of educator in our culture.

I don't have a problem with it ,I fact check what he says. He has failed to mislead in any factual manner. You are not required to agree with any conclusion he arrives at.

[SIZE=+1]Quotes[/SIZE]
"A new poll finds Fox News as the only network that more people say they trust than distrust. Here are the trust/don't trust spreads: Fox 49 to 37, CNN 39 to 41, NBC 35 to 44, CBS 32 to 46, and ABC 31 to 46. Analysis: 'These numbers suggest quite a shift in what Americans want from their news. A generation ago Walter Cronkite was the most trusted man in the country because of his neutrality. Now people trust Fox the most precisely because of its lack of neutrality. It says a lot about where journalism is headed.'"
-- Political Wire, Link

The average American, the one who can't find Texas on a f-ing map, is stupid so talking stupid gives Glenn an advantage.

I agree with both avatar and truth.
Independents will gain numbers, and most will be on the conservative side.

Personally, I would be thrilled to see both parties collapse, then I wake up from my sweet dream and they are all still there with their hands in my pockets.

The only problem I see with this idea of the independents moving further to the right is that the majority of republcians who would and have switched to calling themselves independents have already done so.

So I seriously doubt there will be another mass exodus from the republican party anytime soon. However, with the way they are going it could be possible.

On the flip side there are still many on the left who could start calling themselves independent.

Then we can have a majority of independents be Independents INO. Although with how many republicans flipped over in the last year we may already be to that point. LOL

Wrong again folks the conservatives are bought and sold and dont give a rats ass about you.

The conservatives are not growing, the hate of all bought people is growing.

This is not going to benifit your views.

There is a rant if you ask me.

COnservatism.....leave me alone, let me earn my living and let me be responsible for myself and my family. If you wish to conduct business with me, please feel free. If you prefer not, please feel free not to.

Liberalism....I prefer all get what they need despite what they give...and I want all of you...everyone one of you...to get involved in this cause and give to the cause..and since I am not 100% convinced that you will give to the causes I care most about, I want to take from you and give to the causes of my choosing.

Now you tell me...which one would require the "buying" of people?

LOL I just love it when a dishonest hack tried to define the parties according to his own dishonest and biased OPINONS and then is thanked for doing so and being dishonest and biased. LOL

Did the right mind when bush started giving tax dollars to religious charities as part of this faith-based initiatives??

Most liberals didn't support the invasion of iraq, righties did, and yet I didn't hear righties complaining for the left when the left's tax dollars were "wasted" on a venture that the left did not support. Why is that??
The right seems perfectly fine with taking and using of "other people's money" when it suits their needs but then they trot out this BS argument to excite their base when the money is intended for something they don't support and unfortunately it works everytime. LOL

All, every one, of the people I have met or talked to since the discussion on health care started have expressed concern that the govt would just make it worse. None, not one, said they wanted a public option for healthcare, except of course some posters on this board and on huff and puff.
where are they?

LOL Get out more and stop talking to yourself. LOL

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/S...Politics_Today_Stories_Teases/10049NBCWSJ.pdf

Note the Rs have a worse rating than the dems.

The people are now mad at the dems for NOT pushing it through like the Rsw would do with their aganda.

the r's always have a worse rating on msnbc, and the d's always have a worse rating on fox.
What is your point?
They have become so entrenched it hard to see any difference between them.

Funny but I don't see your poll that counters his. Why is that??

You know, those last several years, probably few of us would have wanted George W. Bush to run for a third term. I sure didn't.

But I wonder how many who voted for Barack Obama would have preferred George W. Bush to Obama now?

I bet next to none.

You might be wrong there Truth. At least that cowboy know how to protect this country. Wish I could say the same of Barrry.

Really?? let's compare.

On w's watch the shoe bomber

On obama'watch the underpants bomber.

Same type of scenario the only real difference is the location of the bomb. Luckily both failed.

Furthermore, concerning the lack of communications between departments and flow of info wasn't W supposed to have corrected that already?? I guess he failed. LOL

Next,

On W's watch the DC sniper

On obama's watch the Ft hood killer.

Both crazy people killing Americans.

Then you have the fact that on W's watch US embassies overseas have been attacked, which has counted as US soil in past rightwing arguments.

So how did W keep us safe?? Care to explain that with anything other than misinformed rants??

Last edited:
We should all at the very least be concerned that Glen Beck has taken on the role of educator in our culture.

I don't have a problem with it ,I fact check what he says. He has failed to mislead in any factual manner. You are not required to agree with any conclusion he arrives at.

The art of propaganda often involves spreading lies without telling lies.

[SIZE=+1]Quotes[/SIZE]
"A new poll finds Fox News as the only network that more people say they trust than distrust. Here are the trust/don't trust spreads: Fox 49 to 37, CNN 39 to 41, NBC 35 to 44, CBS 32 to 46, and ABC 31 to 46. Analysis: 'These numbers suggest quite a shift in what Americans want from their news. A generation ago Walter Cronkite was the most trusted man in the country because of his neutrality. Now people trust Fox the most precisely because of its lack of neutrality. It says a lot about where journalism is headed.'"
-- Political Wire, Link

The average American, the one who can't find Texas on a f-ing map, is stupid so talking stupid gives Glenn an advantage.

You're wrong. If you read the analysis of why people answered Fox News it is precisely because they get ALL perspectives there instead of just left biased ones. In other words, Fox News, more than any of the others, is seen as the most neutral news source available in the mainstream media.

Glenn Beck is right about the fact that the progressive movement of the 20th century has infected both sides of the political spectrum. Its the reason why RINO republicans and blue dog democrats. RINOs instantly agree with anything that the far left says while blue dogs instantly agree with most of what republicans say. Its like the progressive in both parties instantly agree with each other while the non-progressives in both parties see eye to eye on most issues.

The question is: Does left and right or democrat or republican matter that much anymore?

no it doesn't. At All.

We need to all be way more informed about who the person is we are voting for and pay attention to who they tell us they are.

Forum List

Back