Glenn Beck: Firefighters Right to Let Home Burn

By the standards of the liberals in this thread, if someone steals all of my belongings and I don't have insurance coverage, the insurance company should still pay me for my loss.

You guys are really fucking stupid, you know that?
No, it's actually more like this: If firefighters can put out a fire and instead stand there doing nothing they are fucktards that should find other employment.

Nope. They were doing their jobs. Period.

By the standards of the liberals in this thread, if someone steals all of my belongings and I don't have insurance coverage, the insurance company should still pay me for my loss.

No, it's actually more like this: If firefighters can put out a fire and instead stand there doing nothing they are fucktards that should find other employment.

Nope. They were doing their jobs. Period.
I find it more than a bit ironic that the words "duty, honor, country" are featured in your signature. Equipped, trained and capable firefighters watched their neighbor's home as fire consumed it. Did they have a duty to come to the aid of their neighbor? How honorable was their apathy? Was their lack of action in the best traditions of our country?

But, I suppose the words "faith, hope and charity" fall on deaf ears too.

And Conservatives want to point to this tragedy and thump their chests and proclaim the consequence of what they see as a self sufficient, Conservative community. They say Liberal values are skewed toward some weak, insufficient for survival, entitlement way of thinking.

How many Conservatives would aid in a barn raising? How many would rush to form a bucket brigade to put out a fire at their neighbors house?

I guess those neighbors should have built the barn and doused the fire on their own. anything else would constitute a redistribution of wealth.

Nice values system, Conservatives! Why don't you have your candidates run on their strong community values?

Last edited:
You can whine all you want, but the simple fact of the matter is that this guy thought he was entitled to something he did not pay for. He got his just dues. I have no pity or sympathy for him. If that makes me callous, so be it. It's who I am, and I see no reason to justify it.

Now, ask me if I were a firefighter in the same situation, what I would have done. I probably would have done what I can to help, but I don't fault those that didn't, either. The homeowner took a risk, and it didn't pay off. Lesson learned, at a great cost.

You can whine all you want, but the simple fact of the matter is that this guy thought he was entitled to something he did not pay for. He got his just dues. I have no pity or sympathy for him. If that makes me callous, so be it. It's who I am, and I see no reason to justify it.

Now, ask me if I were a firefighter in the same situation, what I would have done. I probably would have done what I can to help, but I don't fault those that didn't, either. The homeowner took a risk, and it didn't pay off. Lesson learned, at a great cost.
You pass the test. Good Conservative. Sit. Stay.

Who taught you your values? Limbaugh or Beck or Reagan?

Certainly not Lincoln or Washington or Jesus of Nazareth.

Last edited:

More often than not, I agree with you. In this case, I think you are just plain wrong... but then that is my opinion.

Immie

Actually a more accurate equivalent would be if someone was stealing all your stuff and the police were standing there for hours watching them do it.

Yep.

And who taught you your values?
Was it the kind witch of the east? Casper the friendly ghost, or maybe it was the fairy who made Pinochio a real boy?

Personally I would have helped and then when the local newspaper came I would have made a statement to the effect "Well they can thank their neighbors and friends who paid the $75, perhaps now they will rethink that gamble in the future".

Was it the kind witch of the east? Casper the friendly ghost, or maybe it was the fairy who made Pinochio a real boy?

Personally I would have helped and then when the local newspaper came I would have made a statement to the effect "Well they can thank their neighbors and friends who paid the $75, perhaps now they will rethink that gamble in the future".
actually, the likely outcome is that nearby town will cease to offer assistance to that area at all

nice how this publicity will leave even those willing to pay for the service without it

What killed truth, justice and the American way? What seeped into what passes for a conscience among this new breed of Conservative American to erode long cherished values into such silt?

When a crew of trained, equipped capable firefighters watch a neighbor's house burn down, there is no victory, only loss. The very thought of doing unto others has been traded like a penny stock for risk management and the bottom line. A gamble. A loss. A write-off or a settlement. Honor, duty, country, faith hope and charity. Buzz words of a society displaced by a gaggle of individuals.

The callousness of modern life has been burnished by a corrosive, self-centered, uncompromising political attitude that has nothing but doom writ large on its scowling face. Those faces have voices and they are daily re-inforcing the shallow values of "I got mine!" and "Tough luck pal! Your loss!".

And the pity is we all have to suffer their avarice or be dismissed as quaint relics of a by gone day.

My Pop used to say "I weep for the future." The future is now.

Nice try. Considering I've never voted Republican in my life, it's hard to call me a Conservative.

Too young to remember Reagan. Never heard a word Limbaugh and Beck have spoken, only read what the bleeding hearts here have bitched about.

More often than not, I agree with you. In this case, I think you are just plain wrong... but then that is my opinion.

So be it. I'm just pointing out the fallacy in the homeowner's logic, and the logic of those defending his actions.

Actually a more accurate equivalent would be if someone was stealing all your stuff and the police were standing there for hours watching them do it.

Yep.

Nope. Already pointed it out. Police coverage is paid for by taxes to cover ALL citizens regardless of their ability or decision to pay taxes. Fire coverage is not. It's a fact. Deal with it.

What killed truth, justice and the American way? What seeped into what passes for a conscience among this new breed of Conservative American to erode long cherished values into such silt?

When a crew of trained, equipped capable firefighters watch a neighbor's house burn down, there is no victory, only loss. The very thought of doing unto others has been traded like a penny stock for risk management and the bottom line. A gamble. A loss. A write-off or a settlement. Honor, duty, country, faith hope and charity. Buzz words of a society displaced by a gaggle of individuals.

The callousness of modern life has been burnished by a corrosive, self-centered, uncompromising political attitude that has nothing but doom writ large on its scowling face. Those faces have voices and they are daily re-inforcing the shallow values of "I got mine!" and "Tough luck pal! Your loss!".

And the pity is we all have to suffer their avarice or be dismissed as quaint relics of a by gone day.

My Pop used to say "I weep for the future." The future is now.

Sorry but we don't live in Oz.
You see, like it or not, everything has to be paid for. And $75 a year is a small price to pay for fire protection.
And as far as those slogans you bring up such as "I got mine" etc...those are not sayings usually said by gainfully employed middle class Americans - these statements are usually reserved for people who are anything but conservatve.
And BTW...did you ever read about who donates the most to charites?

And if your house catches fire because the firefighters refuse to put out the fire next door because he didn't pay his bill, do you still think they were doing what was right? Imagine if it burned so hot that once it got started it took out the whole neighborhood because the firefighters refused to put it out when it started in a house that hadn't paid their bill.

There is no excuse for this.

And if your house catches fire because the firefighters refuse to put out the fire next door because he didn't pay his bill, do you still think they were doing what was right? Imagine if it burned so hot that once it got started it took out the whole neighborhood because the firefighters refused to put it out when it started in a house that hadn't paid their bill.

That is the reason the firefighters were there, to contain the fire. They did their jobs. Sorry if you think their job is to provide service to someone who didn't pay for it.

actually, the likely outcome is that nearby town will cease to offer assistance to that area at all

nice how this publicity will leave even those willing to pay for the service without it

There should always be a price for service without the protection contract. Just like breaking your hip & going to the hospital after you failed to pay your monthly $100 insurance premium for 6 months. Instead of throwing you out or shooting you in the head like a horse, they will still do a hip replacement & charge you $55,000.

They should not have been assholes when they missed an opportunity to make a lot of money by charging a 100 times higher per fire rate & save someone major hardship. This high rate will still send a message ensuring people pay their bill. This could have been a win win for everyone.

Because of their stupidity everyone loses. The fire department still had to be called out to contain the fire, the family lost everything & are relying on friends, family & charity. Also their insurance carrier will end up paying for all this needless damage which will drive up everyones homeowners insurance rates in the area. People reap what they sow.

Last edited:
At least we now know what a "Tea Party" America would look like.

That is the reason the firefighters were there, to contain the fire. They did their jobs. Sorry if you think their job is to provide service to someone who didn't pay for it.

Another person's house caught fire, at which point they finally did their job. Why should that neighbor have to deal with damage to his home which could have been prevented, he paid his $75.

Another person's house caught fire, at which point they finally did their job. Why should that neighbor have to deal with damage to his home which could have been prevented, he paid his $75.

The $75 is to put out your house if it catches fire, not to prevent it from catching fire. If there were some way to prevent fires, we wouldn't need a fire department. :cuckoo:

The $75 is to put out your house if it catches fire, not to prevent it from catching fire. If there were some way to prevent fires, we wouldn't need a fire department. :cuckoo:
In that case the fire department committed gross negligence. They knew a nearby house was on fire. They should have known the risk of that fire spreading. They were, after all, trained as fire fighters. They failed in their job to contain the fire. Because you said that was the reason they were there.
That is the reason the firefighters were there, to contain the fire. They did their jobs.
How then did they do their job other than poorly and shamefully?

In that case the fire department committed gross negligence. They knew a nearby house was on fire. They should have known the risk of that fire spreading. They were, after all, trained as fire fighters. They failed in their job to contain the fire. Because you said that was the reason they were there.
That is the reason the firefighters were there, to contain the fire. They did their jobs.

There's also the possibility that they could have failed at putting out the man's house if they tried. What's your point?

There's also the possibility that they could have failed at putting out the man's house if they tried. What's your point?
So both doing nothing or doing something and possibly failing are standards of due diligence and not to be considered negligence? How is this possible? Are the good people of Tennessee expected to pay for essential fire fighting services and then get a department that's playing Hamlet with emergencies?

"To douse, or not to douse? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to aid my neighbor, or take five, and watch the fire spread?"

Forum List

Back