Glenn Beck: Firefighters Right to Let Home Burn

This fire department was not private or corporate. It was a community fire department ran like a union by their democratically elected dictator. You pay your dues or to hell with you. These type people will burn your business, house, attack you for going to work, not paying dues & not voting the right way. These rank & file were instructed by their communist leader to let it burn in order to teach the community to follow orders & pay dues or else. This was Mafia style protection payment crap.

This had zero to do with republican ideology. Private citizens would have pitched in & helped their fellow man or came to an agreement on what it would cost to risk firemens life & equipment to battle the blaze or lent them their equipment to fight the fire.

The problem with that being that the equipment doesn't belong to those individual private citizens or the firefighters, so it's not their decision to make on loaning it out.

As far as I'm concerned, this community made a bad choice when it set up the system, and the homeowner made a bad choice when he decided not to comply with the system where he lives. It's not actually anyone else's responsibility to make up for those bad choices.

The community really made a bad decision when it eliminated the volunteer fir department.

better question;

how many house fires did the FDNY respond to that were outside of their legal jurisdiction?
Where I live, it is quite common for surrounding fire depts to assist in putting out fires in neighboring jurisdictions so the fires won't spread.

I believe the neighbor who paid his $75.00 should sue the Fire Department and the Mayor for allowing the fire to spread to his house at which point they finally did something. It was the Fire Departments fault for ALL the damage the fire did to his house and he has every right to sue. Bet that changes their rules real quick.

I would imagine that just seeing the results of their policy splashed across the national news has accomplished that.

This fire department was not private or corporate. It was a community fire department ran like a union by their democratically elected dictator. You pay your dues or to hell with you. These type people will burn your business, house, attack you for going to work, not paying dues & not voting the right way. These rank & file were instructed by their communist leader to let it burn in order to teach the community to follow orders & pay dues or else. This was Mafia style protection payment crap.

This had zero to do with republican ideology. Private citizens would have pitched in & helped their fellow man or came to an agreement on what it would cost to risk firemens life & equipment to battle the blaze or lent them their equipment to fight the fire.

The problem with that being that the equipment doesn't belong to those individual private citizens or the firefighters, so it's not their decision to make on loaning it out.

As far as I'm concerned, this community made a bad choice when it set up the system, and the homeowner made a bad choice when he decided not to comply with the system where he lives. It's not actually anyone else's responsibility to make up for those bad choices.

The community really made a bad decision when it eliminated the volunteer fir department.

I think they've figured that out now. :eusa_whistle:

Next, our Conservatives will support turning people away from Emergency rooms if they haven't paid up on their premiums. Wait for it.

Nope. Its better to let illegals and such all get free services at Emergency rooms. That way it just puts the entire hospital out of business and no one can get help.

That's so much more compassionate.

A liberal checking in here to agree with you. Fancy that.

The wife and I have had to go to our local emergency room three or four times in the past six or so years. The scene when we went was always the same - the waiting room was packed with mostly Hispanic people, the vast majority of whom did not have a medical emergency. They were merely seeking help for their children who had colds or similar, minor medical problems.

Why were they in the emergency room? No health insurance. The result for the folks who were in there with genuine emergencies? A minimun four-hour wait before even being able to see a doctor.

There are free clinics, so why are the uninsured people allowed to pile into the emergency room?

Where I live, it is quite common for surrounding fire depts to assist in putting out fires in neighboring jurisdictions so the fires won't spread.

I believe the neighbor who paid his $75.00 should sue the Fire Department and the Mayor for allowing the fire to spread to his house at which point they finally did something. It was the Fire Departments fault for ALL the damage the fire did to his house and he has every right to sue. Bet that changes their rules real quick.

I would imagine that just seeing the results of their policy splashed across the national news has accomplished that.
more than likely they will end their service to that community and the community will have to step up and get their own service or try and join a regional fire service on a taxed basis

Nope. Its better to let illegals and such all get free services at Emergency rooms. That way it just puts the entire hospital out of business and no one can get help.

The wife and I have had to go to our local emergency room three or four times in the past six or so years. The scene when we went was always the same - the waiting room was packed with mostly Hispanic people, the vast majority of whom did not have a medical emergency. They were merely seeking help for their children who had colds or similar, minor medical problems.

Why were they in the emergency room? No health insurance. The result for the folks who were in there with genuine emergencies? A minimun four-hour wait before even being able to see a doctor.

There are free clinics, so why are the uninsured people allowed to pile into the emergency room?

Yeah right, there's free clinics all over the place. You can't turn around without banging your nose into one. :confused:

more than likely they will end their service to that community and the community will have to step up and get their own service or try and join a regional fire service on a taxed basis
There are Federal grants to help the community or the regional fire depts that might serve them. Of course CON$ might object to Fed tax dollars with their strings being spent locally.

Welcome to Assistance to Firefighters Grants

Fire departments can also apply for large scale or regional projects that include neighboring jurisdictions. A regional project is one in which multiple organizations serving more than one local jurisdiction benefit directly from the activities implemented with the grant funds. Regional projects are designed to facilitate interoperable communications and efficiency among the participating jurisdictions.

Because the free clinics are only open during the day? Because the ER was closer to their house, so why bother making the extra trip? Take your pick.

This homeowner who did not pay his $75 fire insurance fee said in an interview that his son had a fire 3 years earlier & did not pay the fee but the fire chief made an exception & put his fire out anyway. Now instead of being grateful & paying their fees to this fire department this family again tried to slide by & not pay again. This may have been a factor in the fire chiefs judgment.

For most of my life I lived in a all volunteer fire district. I loved it. There were no outrageous taxes, unions, pension funds & ballot issues to raise taxes for these services. It simply worked great. Donations paid for the fire trucks & we all took turns & felt good about helping each other. We never let anyones house burn. It was always all hands battling the blaze until the job was done. Settling the bill came a couple of days later.

The fire department should have billed his son on his fire the very expensive full $15K per fire rate that it cost to have a fire department. On average 1 in 200 houses burn annually. So $75 times 200 homes equals $15K which is the true per fire cost to maintain fire protection & fight fires. We would have put the fire out & then billed him $15,000. This would still send the same message to residence to pay their bills & would have been the responsible thing to do. The fire chief & local officials did not have good policy in place & used poor judgment. According to the fire victim they had allowed 3 other houses & a barn burn down before this happened to him. I guess those did not generate the media firestorm to help them see the errors of their ways & change their policy.

They could also print a donation amount on everyones fire protection bill to cover those who could not afford to pay. Where I used to live in a all volunteer fire district, we had a 4th of July fire department fish fry. People came & donated what was needed to cover those who could not pay their fire protection every year to make sure everyone had fire protection. There was always enough money.

Last edited:

Right...they should be kicked out.

This is a fucking tragedy I don't care what side of the isle your on. You don't sit idly by while a fellow human being is losing everything (including pets) and there is something you can do about it. That's just pathetic how could someone sleep at night after letting this happen and not even trying to stop it. Worry about settling up afterward. Charge them a fine or whatever. People are supposed to help people in emergency situations like this much like medical emergencies. Now if it started to become an issue afterthis where no one pays unless their house is burning then that would be a problem and but I don't think thats going to happen. This is crap. I'm seriously pissed off reading something like this in the news. Happening in America. Unbelievable.

Right...they should be kicked out.

Its ok they have a genuine emergency. The ones piling in for band-aids, pregnancy test, aspirins etc. need to be forced to go elsewhere to make way for genuine emergencies.

This is a fucking tragedy I don't care what side of the isle your on. You don't sit idly by while a fellow human being is losing everything (including pets) and there is something you can do about it. That's just pathetic how could someone sleep at night after letting this happen and not even trying to stop it. Worry about settling up afterward. Charge them a fine or whatever. People are supposed to help people in emergency situations like this much like medical emergencies. Now if it started to become an issue afterthis where no one pays unless their house is burning then that would be a problem and but I don't think thats going to happen. This is crap. I'm seriously pissed off reading something like this in the news. Happening in America. Unbelievable.

But, Glenn Beck believes he deserved it. I suspect the majority of his sheeple agree.

I have not seen anything like this in years. When I was kid, I live outside of town. The city offered a contracts for fire fighting services to home owners within a few miles of city limits. I think most excepted it. I can remember a few fires, mostly brush fires, called in by people who did not have a contract. The fire dept. responded and billed them for the call. I think fire dept actually made quite a bit of money.

Aside from being inhumane, this is just plain stupid.

I have not seen anything like this in years. When I was kid, I live outside of town. The city offered a contracts for fire fighting services to home owners within a few miles of city limits. I think most excepted it. I can remember a few fires, mostly brush fires, called in by people who did not have a contract. The fire dept. responded and billed them for the call. I think fire dept actually made quite a bit of money.

Aside from being inhumane, this is just plain stupid.

No it isn't ... it good business sense and Traditional Values.

But, Glenn Beck believes he deserved it. I suspect the majority of his sheeple agree.

Sigh...

Glen Beck did not say he deserved it, he simply pointed out that it is wrong to expect to get a service if you refuse to pay taxes that pay for that service. Funny how you don't have a problem with that concept under normal circumstances, or can I walk into a store and take whatever I want now?

I completely agree with you.

This really pisses me off and I consider myself to be a conservative.

I can't help but think, what if there had been a 6 month old child trapped in that house and those jackasses did not respond? The mayor should be run out of town on rails. He is an idiot. All this over $75 dollars? The mayor is a frigging idiot.

Immie

I completely agree with you.

This really pisses me off and I consider myself to be a conservative.

I can't help but think, what if there had been a 6 month old child trapped in that house and those jackasses did not respond? The mayor should be run out of town on rails. He is an idiot. All this over $75 dollars? The mayor is a frigging idiot.

Immie
the mayor had nothing to do with it
there were no people trapped

you really should go back and actually read the story

Sigh...

Glen Beck did not say he deserved it, he simply pointed out that it is wrong to expect to get a service if you refuse to pay taxes that pay for that service. Funny how you don't have a problem with that concept under normal circumstances, or can I walk into a store and take whatever I want now?

Yeah so tell me why we bailed out wall street?

Sigh...

Yeah so tell me why we bailed out wall street?

Ask Obama, he voted for it.

Forum List

Back