Glenn Beck declares: The Census is the Equivalent of Slavery

And wingnuts eat it up

Glenn Beck vs. the Census - The Week

Glenn Beck has a message for Americans who are dutifully filling out 2010 Census forms: Stop. Beck told his Fox News audience that participating in the Census is a form of modern-day "slavery." Sharing personal information with the government, he says, increases our dependence on Washington

In response, Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert suggested that Beck's remarks might offend descendents of actual slavery — jokily theorizing that Beck must "broadcast at a frequency only whites can hear."

Let me just clarify what you're saying here..... that the 'wingnuts' who watch Beck eat up a comment that you actually haven't seen in context. Is that right?

So, in fact..... you too are a 'wingnut' who is eating up something you found on a website - without actually verifying what Beck actually said.

OK. I'm clear. You're as much of a wing nut as those who take everything Beck says as gospel.

So speaks one of Becks noble horde.....

You wish I was. Sadly, for you, I'm not. But don't let that stop you making unfounded allegations. :lol::lol::lol:

I just happen to like to put things into context before I comment on them. If you choose to just blindly accept what you are fed by the media, that is entirely your decision. Just expect some people to question your judgement.

Hey goofus ... Glen Beck is a media personality, not a politician. That would mean that forum disguised as "Media" is where this would go?

F-tard.:eusa_eh:

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that. Glenn is a media personality, entertainer etc etc.
I wonder if he will ever run for office? :eek:

And wingnuts eat it up

Glenn Beck has a message for Americans who are dutifully filling out 2010 Census forms: Stop. Beck told his Fox News audience that participating in the Census is a form of modern-day "slavery." Sharing personal information with the government, he says, increases our dependence on Washington

In response, Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert suggested that Beck's remarks might offend descendents of actual slavery — jokily theorizing that Beck must "broadcast at a frequency only whites can hear."

Let me just clarify what you're saying here..... that the 'wingnuts' who watch Beck eat up a comment that you actually haven't seen in context. Is that right?

So, in fact..... you too are a 'wingnut' who is eating up something you found on a website - without actually verifying what Beck actually said.

OK. I'm clear. You're as much of a wing nut as those who take everything Beck says as gospel.

Do show us how Beck was taken out of context.

Last edited:
Don't bitch when your congressional district gets gerrymandered!

Way to protest! Screw yourself!

Next time try the technique perfected by Buddhist monks in Southeast Asia. A can of gasoline and a zippo lighter.

How am I screwing myself?
The congressional redistricting is based on the outcome of the census. Federal funding for infrastructure is based on the outcome of the census. The census is CONSTITUTIONALLY MANDATED.

It is true that it is constitutionally mandated but the constitution says it has that power to take a censsus for the purpose of the house of representatives and it can enact laws to execute that power. No one is disputing that it can ask questions for that purpose but I wonder what does our race, religion, and other things have to do in figuring how many seats we get in the house of representatives?

I definately don't see the point of why it needs to ask other questions beyond names and number of people that live at this address.

I threw my Census forms in the garbage. Sorry Ravi, I live in a blue state :(

Personally, I think Beck is way over the top on a lot of issues, but I agree with him that this census is ridiculous waste of time. Why are they so obsessed with race? Fuck em, I'm not filling it out.

BTW, I have no worries about "the law" that says I have to fill it out. "Census? what's that? Oh, I never got it? Did you send it certified?" :lol:
Don't bitch when your congressional district gets gerrymandered!

Way to protest! Screw yourself!

Next time try the technique perfected by Buddhist monks in Southeast Asia. A can of gasoline and a zippo lighter.

A flock of 'em flew over that time.

Hey goofus ... Glen Beck is a media personality, not a politician. That would mean that forum disguised as "Media" is where this would go?

F-tard.:eusa_eh:

I actually think that CNN is the modern version of Not Necessarilty the News that use to play on HBO in the early eighties. In fact, I think CNN is even funnier and I think anyone who came up with that show should get a reward.

The congressional redistricting is based on the outcome of the census. Federal funding for infrastructure is based on the outcome of the census. The census is CONSTITUTIONALLY MANDATED.

It is true that it is constitutionally mandated but the constitution says it has that power to take a censsus for the purpose of the house of representatives and it can enact laws to execute that power. No one is disputing that it can ask questions for that purpose but I wonder what does our race, religion, and other things have to do in figuring how many seats we get in the house of representatives?

I definately don't see the point of why it needs to ask other questions beyond names and number of people that live at this address.
I have heard how other sciences are deemed evil by the right. Now are we going to have a fatwa on demographics too?

A picture of who the pluribis are that make up the unum is a good thing to do. It gives us the truth and the necessity for being the 'melting pot' we proudly call ourselves. Race, ethnicity, nation of origin sounds like some mighty useful information when dealing with a myriad of social problems. It's okay to solve a problem and be respectful at the same time.

Hiring practices would be better regulated to exclude illegal immigrants, for instance.

Data collecting I guess. I don't see the big deal your race and religion really aren't that personal and if the government really wanted more info on you they could use the Patriot Act or the IRS.

And wingnuts eat it up

Does Glennbeck have any idea what slavery is?

I threw my Census forms in the garbage. Sorry Ravi, I live in a blue state :(

Personally, I think Beck is way over the top on a lot of issues, but I agree with him that this census is ridiculous waste of time. Why are they so obsessed with race? Fuck em, I'm not filling it out.

BTW, I have no worries about "the law" that says I have to fill it out. "Census? what's that? Oh, I never got it? Did you send it certified?" :lol:

When they force you to fill it in, put 'Jedi Knight' as your religion. May the force be with you.

My form has no place for religion.
only 10 questions per person.

And wingnuts eat it up

Does Glennbeck have any idea what slavery is?

Yep he has tens of thousands of Beck slaves.

I don't watch glenn beck, but he has a point. The information the census gathered was used by other government agencies to round up Japanese-American citizens to put in concentration camps in WW2. Recently it was used by DHS to compile a list of suspected American-Muslim threats, with the no fly and other watch list. Why would the Federal government need any other information other than how many people live in your household?

Again my census form has no question about religion on it.

Some people are getting an extra form to fill out that is separate from the regular census form, but non-compliance with either carries the same penalty, a $5,000 fine.

~
The Census Bureau likes to stress the positive benefits of participation in the survey, but the proverbial stick does exist. Under Title 13 of the U.S. Code, you can be fined up to $100 for refusing to complete a census form and $500 for answering questions falsely. However, the Website for the U.S. Census Bureau points out that the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984 effectively increased these minimum fines to $5,000. Noncompliance used to bring the possibility of a 60-day prison sentence and a one-year prison term for false answers, but Congress struck those provisions in 1976.

http://www.slate.com/id/2248233/?from=rss

who was president in 1984?

Last edited:
Again my census form has no question about religion on it.

Some people are getting an extra form to fill out that is separate from the regular census form, but non-compliance with either carries the same penalty, a $5,000 fine.

double check that fine, it was either $50 or $100 last year when I checked.

I will do some more checking. I know that the old fine was $100, but I was told the census bureau raised the fine this year. I wonder if it has to do with covering the cost of the massive publicity campaign they ran with this census.

Forum List

Back