GlaxoSmithKline Agrees to $3B Fraud Settlement

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
July 2, 2012

Updated 1:42 p.m.

A team from Covington & Burling in Washington represented the pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline LLC in a record-setting $3 billion criminal and civil settlement over drug misbranding.

Deputy Attorney General James Cole announced the deal today at the U.S. Justice Department, calling it "unprecedented in both size and scope." No executive was charged today. See Link below for full story.

The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times

From the link:

GlaxoSmithKline agreed to plead guilty to criminal charges in U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and to pay $1 billion in criminal fines and forfeitures for the illegal marketing and promotion of the drugs Paxil and Wellbutrin.

Officials said the company between 1998 and 2003 unlawfully promoted Paxil for treating depression in patients under the age of 18. The Food and Drug Administration has not approved that use of the drug, DOJ officials said. The officials said GlaxoSmithKline illegally promoted Wellbutrin for uses that included weight loss, substance abuse and sexual dysfunction.

Any wonder why the GOP wants to reduce/eliminate regulations?

Never hear the republican, or libertarian for that matter, call for ending laws against fraud.

2549140_o.gif

If corporations are people, why isn't any individual going to jail? Corporations pay a fine, period.

• Banned
Never hear the republican, or libertarian for that matter, call for ending laws against fraud.

2549140_o.gif

Again, a glib comment with no evidence of any critical thought. How can fraud be discovered unless there are regulators to investigate? Or are you of the set which believes food and drug companies should police themselves, because as their 'logic' suggests, a company that poisons people will go out of business?

Why is no one going to jail? If I had do it, get ready for the big time in Huntsville. Corporatins due it, it is woops I am sorry, let me send some of my inventors money to you and we will let by gones be by gones. Did mention that as your CEO I need a raise if you want to keep me; It happens all the time.

• Banned
Wow....Nice straw man, Danny Vermin.

That aside, I defy you to name one republican or libertarian who is in favor of not investigating and prosecuting fraud.

Just one.

Nice try again. Never did I say anyone was not in favor of investigating and prosecuting fraud. I wrote the Tea Party, and their favorite Michelle Bachmann was in favor of eliminating regulatory agencies, i.e. FDA, USDA and allowing the industry to self police.

Your really cannot be honest.

Last edited:
July 2, 2012

A team from Covington & Burling in Washington represented the pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline LLC in a record-setting $3 billion criminal and civil settlement over drug misbranding.

Deputy Attorney General James Cole announced the deal today at the U.S. Justice Department, calling it "unprecedented in both size and scope." No executive was charged today. See Link below for full story.

From the link:

GlaxoSmithKline agreed to plead guilty to criminal charges in U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and to pay $1 billion in criminal fines and forfeitures for the illegal marketing and promotion of the drugs Paxil and Wellbutrin.

Officials said the company between 1998 and 2003 unlawfully promoted Paxil for treating depression in patients under the age of 18. The Food and Drug Administration has not approved that use of the drug, DOJ officials said. The officials said GlaxoSmithKline illegally promoted Wellbutrin for uses that included weight loss, substance abuse and sexual dysfunction.

I think its a crime that no one went to jail for the housing bubble....

so your point is.........what?

• Banned
July 2, 2012

From the link:

I agree. Failure to regulate created the opportunity for predators to lie, cheat and sell worthless derivatives.

From the link:

DOJ officials said the company will pay an additional $2 billion to resolve civil allegations under the False Claims Act. The claims include allegations company officials paid kickbacks to doctors to prescribe certain drugs, including Paxil, Wellbutrin and Advair.

My point is why didn't the doctors who accepted bribes suffer criminal and civil penalties. Should they be allowed to continue to practice medicine? I believe their license should be revoked.

?

The double standard is fucking amazing.

The federal government perpetrates the massive fraud that Americans still enjoy judicial review and that Congress can tax for anything . They do so with impunity. Yet they have the gall to charge GSK with fraud.

Unfuckingbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

The federal government perpetrates the massive fraud that Americans still enjoy judicial review and that Congress can tax for anything . They do so with impunity. Yet they have the gall to charge GSK with fraud.

So your okay with the actions of the drug company and the doctors who accepted bribes?

That aside, I defy you to name one republican or libertarian who is in favor of not investigating and prosecuting fraud.

Just one.

Nice try again. Never did I say anyone was not in favor of investigating and prosecuting fraud. I wrote the Tea Party, and their favorite Michelle Bachmann was in favor of eliminating regulatory agencies, i.e. FDA, USDA and allowing the industry to self police.

Why in the hell do you go to extremes on every stupid subject, you act like you have lost all reason. Eliminating regulatory agencies that overlap or waste taxpayer money are as wrong as having no regulations. Please at least try to be honest, your BS is tiresome.

?

So your okay with the actions of the drug company and the doctors who accepted bribes?

Man, imagine Bernie Madoff criticizing Sam Giancana !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just one.

Why in the hell do you go to extremes on every stupid subject, you act like you have lost all reason. Eliminating regulatory agencies that overlap or waste taxpayer money are as wrong as having no regulations. Please at least try to be honest, your BS is tiresome.

First, explain to me which regulations are good and which are bad? No where in the rhetoric of "cut taxes, cut government, cut regulations" have details been presented.

Yes, government largess can be excessive and wasteful and yes, we spent more than we take in, everyday, every year. The simple and stupid solution is to cut indiscriminately, as some argue. Cutting 5% of government across the board puts more people out of work, a sure means of slowing our economy.

We need to put people back to work and the only way to do so is to stimulate the economy. If Eric Cantor & the other leaders of the GOP cared about fixing the economy they would not spend most of their time giving press conferences designed to put more fear into the nation's psyche. The debt is a problem but not our only one.

Our economic woes are a direct result of 1) ideology blinding pragmatism; 2) greed superseding the common good; and 3) emotion ruling reason.

The only bullshit around here is promulgated by the parrots on the extreme right, those who think a tax free lunch is a solution. It's not. No one likes taxes and no one likes pot holes (except tire manufacturers).

If McConnell and Boehner and Cantor really cared about fixing the economy they could have done so - they chose instead to spend years running to regain power for their party. That's an assertion pretty easy to prove.

Have you seen one bill presented by one member of Congress so concerned about our debt that they asked their members to cut their own salary and benefits? Have you counted the days Congress is not in session and not working directly to fix the economy? Have you watched Boehner and McConnell and The Weasel blame everything on the Democrats and take no (NO) responsibility for anything and pander to their base?

First, explain to me which regulations are good and which are bad? No where in the rhetoric of "cut taxes, cut government, cut regulations" have details been presented.

Yes, government largess can be excessive and wasteful and yes, we spent more than we take in, everyday, every year. The simple and stupid solution is to cut indiscriminately, as some argue. Cutting 5% of government across the board puts more people out of work, a sure means of slowing our economy.

We need to put people back to work and the only way to do so is to stimulate the economy. If Eric Cantor & the other leaders of the GOP cared about fixing the economy they would not spend most of their time giving press conferences designed to put more fear into the nation's psyche. The debt is a problem but not our only one.

Our economic woes are a direct result of 1) ideology blinding pragmatism; 2) greed superseding the common good; and 3) emotion ruling reason.

The only bullshit around here is promulgated by the parrots on the extreme right, those who think a tax free lunch is a solution. It's not. No one likes taxes and no one likes pot holes (except tire manufacturers).

If McConnell and Boehner and Cantor really cared about fixing the economy they could have done so - they chose instead to spend years running to regain power for their party. That's an assertion pretty easy to prove.

Have you seen one bill presented by one member of Congress so concerned about our debt that they asked their members to cut their own salary and benefits? Have you counted the days Congress is not in session and not working directly to fix the economy? Have you watched Boehner and McConnell and The Weasel blame everything on the Democrats and take no (NO) responsibility for anything and pander to their base?

So, it is only the House? It seems to me Reid and his buds are good at tabling, it seems to me if Senate Dems really cared about fixing the economy they could have done so - they chose instead to spend years running to keep their party in power. See, that is a real easy game to play. BTW, I'm not impressed with the GOP, I think they are weak and snifflers, but they are a little better than the Dems. If Dems got serious about cutting programs I'd jump in with them.

Other than the partisan BS in the last paragraph, I like the idea of Congress cutting their salary and benefits, how much more in taxes are they going to pay for our taxpayer funded Cadillac plans?

No one, party doesn't matter, wants a solution, Dem or Repub.

So, it is only the House? It seems to me Reid and his buds are good at tabling, it seems to me if Senate Dems really cared about fixing the economy they could have done so - they chose instead to spend years running to keep their party in power. See, that is a real easy game to play. BTW, I'm not impressed with the GOP, I think they are weak and snifflers, but they are a little better than the Dems. If Dems got serious about cutting programs I'd jump in with them.

Other than the partisan BS in the last paragraph, I like the idea of Congress cutting their salary and benefits, how much more in taxes are they going to pay for our taxpayer funded Cadillac plans?

The Senate is a problem. Not the Senate per se, but the rules of the Senate. Reid has cause to table bills which have riders, one more problem that the Congress as a whole ought to fix. One issue per bill is a simple fix.

The Senate is a problem. Not the Senate per se, but the rules of the Senate. Reid has cause to table bills which have riders, one more problem that the Congress as a whole ought to fix. One issue per bill is a simple fix.

I see the senate rules is the problem, not the majority leader...got it, remember that if it flips......:rolleyes:

A company is fined 3 billion bucks and pleads guilty to criminal charges yet no individual goes to jail. The corporation although touted as a "person" also remains jail free.

Only in America!

July 2, 2012

From the link:

Aye - and including some very prominent Democrats.

New Topics

Forum List

Back