Glass 1/2 Full, Glass 1/2 Empty.

CivilLiberty said:
I think you meant malevolent. Benevolent means "good and nice".

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

A mono-party system is what they had in German in the late 30s. It's bad.

A

No I didn't mean malevolent, if I did, I would have written it. :banana2:

CivilLiberty said:
Then I'm confused because the sentence as written makes no sense - can you restate it?

A

It made sense to me. She stated that she doesn't necessarily believe that the R Party would be benevolent if they held all the power, and that it may be dangerous to give them such an advantage.

Bonnie said:
The Republicans aren't indespensible either, especially if we have a repeat of the Contract with America failure. They need to start acting like the majority party and stand with Bush or they will be relegated to "just sit down and shut up" in two years.

The Contract With America was not a failure. Newt and the GOP passed 7 or 8 of the 10 items on the list during Clinton's tenure.

Frankly, Bush should come out with something similar.

As George Will pointed out this week "The pleasures of pessimism are that pessimists are often right--and are delighted to be proved wrong......Bush intends to delight them."

shadrack said:
As George Will pointed out this week "The pleasures of pessimism are that pessimists are often right--and are delighted to be proved wrong......Bush intends to delight them."

Here's the thing: They don't delight in being proven wrong. They simply deny evidence and distort reality so they never believe themselves wrong. For example, they refuse to acknowledge the multiple successes of Reagan in foreign and domestic policy. They're always on the wrong side of history, and they're wrong now. They live in a bubble of lies and spin created by various anti-freedom factions including, but not limited to, the communist party.

no1tovote4 said:
It made sense to me. She stated that she doesn't necessarily believe that the R Party would be benevolent if they held all the power, and that it may be dangerous to give them such an advantage.

Probably won't happen anyway as some think a Republican crack-up is on the horizon, probably when the immigration issue comes to a head.

no1tovote4 said:

That's what I though she meant, but the grammar used was unclear, and so I was trying to clarify.

A

CivilLiberty said:
That's what I though she meant, but the grammar used was unclear, and so I was trying to clarify.

A
No you were trying to be a condescending SOB and I didn't want to play.

Kathianne said:
No you were trying to be a condescending SOB and I didn't want to play.

No, honestly, the sentence was not clear, and I was trying to clarify.

You wrote:

"In no way do I believe the GOP is some altruistic wonderkind, if in power on it's own would be benevolent. It's dangerous times we are living in."

I assumed that you meant to put an "it" before "would" to read "if in power on it's own it would be " and the context of the sentence would indicate "not benevolent"

Perhaps you meant to write : "if in power on it's own IT would NOT be benevolent".

I dunno - I was trying to understand what you meant.

Best,

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
No, honestly, the sentence was not clear, and I was trying to clarify.

You wrote:

"In no way do I believe the GOP is some altruistic wonderkind, if in power on it's own would be benevolent. It's dangerous times we are living in."

I assumed that you meant to put an "it" before "would" to read "if in power on it's own it would be " and the context of the sentence would indicate "not benevolent"

Perhaps you meant to write : "if in power on it's own IT would NOT be benevolent".

I dunno - I was trying to understand what you meant.

Best,

Andy

Not that Kathianne needs anyone to do her explaining for her, but this appears pretty simple, man.

It's just a variation on the "you, understood" rule:

"In no way do I believe in some altruistic wonderkind, (THAT) if in power on it's own it would be benevolent."

Sheesh. Calm down. Deep breaths.

musicman said:
Not that Kathianne needs anyone to do her explaining for her, but this appears pretty simple, man.

It's just a variation on the "you, understood" rule:

"In no way do I believe in some altruistic wonderkind, (THAT) if in power on it's own it would be benevolent."

Sheesh. Calm down. Deep breaths.

Yep, you got it MM. This guy is of the NE ilk. "I know better than all you knaves..." :eek2:

Kathianne said:
Yep, you got it MM. This guy is of the NE ilk. "I know better than all you knaves..." :eek2:

LOL! People who think they know everything are quite annoying to those of us who actually DO, aren't they?

musicman said:
LOL! People who think they know everything are quite annoying to those of us who actually DO, aren't they?

That's the truth, brother. That's the truth! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Forum List

Back