Glamourama

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
This is probably a long shot, but has anyone here read this? I like to think I'm somewhat good at understanding "deep" books, but this one totally confused the hell out of me toward the end.

It's supposedly a comedy about a professional model who is slowly drawn into a group of international terrorists/models. I guess it might have been funnier pre-9/11, there's a really graphic description (like, literally, about 20 pages long) that takes place inside a plane that explodes and crashes that I really had to try about four times before I could get through. The other thing that makes it not so funny is the same problem I have with all of Bret Easton Ellis' work. He seems to just barely touch on descriptions of important plot details or character motivations, then he'll devote page after page to very graphic descriptions of probably some of the most twisted and gross sex scenes and violent death scenes I've ever read, and it makes him come across as a total freak.

But, like I said, if anyone else has read it, please help me understand what was going on in there in the last 50 pages or so.

Originally posted by Dan
This is probably a long shot, but has anyone here read this? I like to think I'm somewhat good at understanding "deep" books, but this one totally confused the hell out of me toward the end.

I wish I could help you but I've never read it.

Originally posted by Dan
I like to think I'm somewhat good at understanding "deep" books, but this one totally confused the hell out of me toward the end.

If you like deep books, have you ever read The Invisible Man? I read that ten years ago in high school, and still ponder the meaning of it.

Last week I had to do an essay on the first chapter of a book called the Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, is that the one you're talking about? The first chapter was called "Battle Royal", is this the one? It was sorta weird, I guess I understood it, I did good on the essay.

I like deep books, but just the same, I can enjoy a book that has no deeper meanings to it at all, as long as it tells a good story.

Unfortunately, our Lit. book only has the first chapter. I might try and find the full version, though.

Dan, it's not an easy read, but I really think I'm a better person for having read it. The only other book I can say that about is "Catch a Fire - the Life of Bob Marley." :D

Forum List

Back