Glaciers disappearing from Glacier National Park

CANCUN, Mexico — Glaciers are melting fastest in southern South America and Alaska and communities urgently need to adapt to the meltdown, according to a UN report released Tuesday.

Many low-lying glaciers may disappear over the coming decades, with the northwest United States, southwest Canada and the Arctic also affected, according to the report compiled by the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) and scientists, presented at UN climate talks in Cancun, Mexico.

Most glaciers -- which are formed by accumulations of snow and ice -- started shrinking around 150 years ago, but the rate of ice loss has increased significantly since the 1980s, the report said.

AFP: Glaciers melting fastest in South America, Alaska: UN

Of course, the UN has no dog in the fight. :doubt:
as the glaciers get smaller i would expect the rate of melt would increase exponentially'

I see this needs to be bumped, for those who can't seem to think for themselves.

Glacier national park is not named Glacier national park because there are Glaciers in the park. Once again Old Crock who's career was cutting down the forest is caught flat footed by me, the Electrical Power Research Institute Analyst.

In my school they taught us that the park was named for what the glaciers of the last ice age did to the topography, not because glaciers existed in the park.

Melting glaciers in Glacier Park: The view from 1963 - Daily Inter Lake: Local/Montana

The park superintendent thanked the USGS for their effort and took the opportunity to remind the staff that the park was named Glacier because of the park topography that was formed by the action of continental glaciers thousands of years ago, not because glaciers existed in the park. It was understood and accepted by the National Park Service and the United States Geological Survey that the park glaciers were a remnant of the last ice age and would eventually melt

Glacier national park is not named Glacier national park because there are Glaciers in the park. Once again Old Crock who's career was cutting down the forest is caught flat footed by me, the Electrical Power Research Institute Analyst.

In my school they taught us that the park was named for what the glaciers of the last ice age did to the topography, not because glaciers existed in the park.

Melting glaciers in Glacier Park: The view from 1963 - Daily Inter Lake: Local/Montana

The park superintendent thanked the USGS for their effort and took the opportunity to remind the staff that the park was named Glacier because of the park topography that was formed by the action of continental glaciers thousands of years ago, not because glaciers existed in the park. It was understood and accepted by the National Park Service and the United States Geological Survey that the park glaciers were a remnant of the last ice age and would eventually melt
wow, you mean back in 1963 they knew ice would melt

LOL

At the time that Glacier National Park was named, there were more than 150 glaciers in the Park. Today there are maybe 27.

And we see the same process happening all over the world.

LOL

Yes, dumb ass, they knew that the glaciers would melt. For we had good records by then that the climate was warming worldwide in response to the increase in GHGs created by the burning of fossil fuels. In fact, this was stated in 1896 by Svante Arnnhenius.

LOL

Yes, dumb ass, they knew that the glaciers would melt. For we had good records by then that the climate was warming worldwide in response to the increase in GHGs created by the burning of fossil fuels. In fact, this was stated in 1896 by Svante Arnnhenius.
your the dumbass that thinks its something wrong that they are melting
not me

btw, dipshit, your sarcasm meter is either broken or defective

Last edited:
This is what the USGS has to say, and they are really the last word on this sort of thing.
Retreat of Glaciers in Glacier National Park | Northern Rocky Mountain Science Center (NOROCK)

Retreat of Glaciers in Glacier National Park
In Glacier National Park (GNP), MT some effects of global climate change are strikingly clear. Glacier recession is underway, and many glaciers have already disappeared. The retreat of these small alpine glaciers reflects changes in recent climate as glaciers respond to altered temperature and precipitation. It has been estimated that there were approximately 150 glaciers present in 1850, and most glaciers were still present in 1910 when the park was established. In 2010, we consider there to be only 25 glaciers larger than 25 acres remaining in GNP. A computer-based climate model predicts that some of the park’s largest glaciers will vanish by 2030 (Hall and Fagre, 2003). This is only one model prediction but, if true, then the park’s glaciers could disappear in the next several decades. However, glacier disappearance may occur even earlier, as many of the glaciers are retreating faster than their predicted rates.

Does Glacier still get snow Old Crock the ax-wielding tree cutter, just how many trees are you directly responsible for destroying.

I think a better post or thread in environment is for Old Crock to tell us exactly how much forest Old Crock cut down in 20 years of destructive logging, I also want Old Crock to tell us if he is sorry, in hindsight for being a major contributor to Global Warming. Old Crock did it for the money, sad, sad, sad.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/photosmultimedia/2010-Plowing-Photos.htm

20100513145429.JPG

Last edited:
Glaciers made the great lakes and most of the NE USA topography as well.
We did not make a national park about glaciers there.

CANCUN, Mexico (Dow Jones)--Glaciers around the world are melting amid warmer global temperatures, especially near the North and South Poles, and particularly Alaska, Argentina and Chile, according to a study released Tuesday by the United Nations Environment Program.

The report, compiled from an array of scientific studies, found that glaciers in the northwest U.S. and southwest Canada and in the high mountains of Asia, including the Hindu Kush of the Himalayas, also have been melting.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101207-711747.html

CANCUN, Mexico (Dow Jones)--Glaciers around the world are melting amid warmer global temperatures, especially near the North and South Poles, and particularly Alaska, Argentina and Chile, according to a study released Tuesday by the United Nations Environment Program.

The report, compiled from an array of scientific studies, found that glaciers in the northwest U.S. and southwest Canada and in the high mountains of Asia, including the Hindu Kush of the Himalayas, also have been melting.

World's Glaciers Melting Amid Warmer Temperatures - UN Study - WSJ.com

The six figured man arrives with the two cent weather report.

World's Glaciers Melting Amid Warmer Temperatures - UN Study - WSJ.com

The six figured man arrives with the two cent weather report.

found that glaciers in the northwest U.S. and southwest Canada and in the high mountains of Asia, including the Hindu Kush of the Himalayas, also have been melting.

Uh, if they were always melting how did they become a glacier in the first place, six-figure-man.

At the time that Glacier National Park was named, there were more than 150 glaciers in the Park. Today there are maybe 27.

How much of the ice cover melted away during the 150 years that preceeded that?

What was the ice cover 3000 years before that? And 3000 years before that?

LOL

And yet the warming trend actually started before the widespread burning of fossil fuels.

I suppose the warming was anticipating the abundance of CO2 which was about to occur.

Again, taking a very limited window of time and inducing that it represents something grand is a debating technique, not a scientific proof.

In order to promote and to believe that there is a crisis under way ala' Chicken Little, one must first abandon any perspective and look only at the particular point that is presented.

Instead, taking climate data as a part of a long and changing chain of causes and effects, which is in truth what it is, degrades panic to curious interest. Curious interest allows thought to occur while panic allows only reactionary fear.

Please note in the article below that the advance of the Glaciers in the areas that are the cause celeb for this thread are probably products of the period of the Little ice Age.

Rewriting Glacial History In Pacific North America

<snip>
Glacier fluctuations are sensitive indicators of past climate change, yet little is known about glacier activity in Pacific North America during the first millennium A.D.

<snip>
At almost all of the glaciers studied, surface evidence prior to the "Little Ice Age" had been destroyed because glacial advance during that time had been so dramatic.

<snip>
The glacier data reported by Reyes and colleagues, together with other clues of past climate, support an emerging idea that climate in the North Pacific region has cycled from warmer to colder intervals several times over the last 10,000 years.

Please note in the article below that the advance of the Glaciers in the areas that are the cause celeb for this thread are probably products of the period of the Little ice Age.

An interesting point.

I presume that theory suggests that the current "global warming" theory might be thought of as merely a continuation of recovery from the mini ice ages

It is generally agreed that there were three minima, beginning about 1650, about 1770, and 1850, each separated by intervals of slight warming.[5].

Is that what's going on?

Well, we can hope that is true, I guess.

source

Forum List

Back