Glaciers disappearing from Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Chris, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    The mountains of Glacier National Park began forming 170 million years ago when ancient rocks were forced eastward up and over much younger rock strata. Known as the Lewis Overthrust, these sedimentary rocks are considered to have some of the finest fossilized examples of extremely early life found anywhere on Earth. The current shapes of the Lewis and Livingston mountain ranges and positioning and size of the lakes show the telltale evidence of massive glacial action, which carved U-shaped valleys and left behind moraines which impounded water creating lakes. Of the estimated 150 glaciers which existed in the park in the mid-19th century, only 25 active glaciers remained by 2010.[3] Scientists studying the glaciers in the park have estimated that all the glaciers may disappear by 2030 if the current climate patterns persist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_National_Park_(U.S.)

2. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    How long before its small enough that I can pick it up, that last piece, as an ice cube, and make my Bacardi and Coke.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,786
    And if you look at the US Park Service site for the park you will notice that the glaciers began retreating way back in 1850 when the Little Ice Age came to an end. Nice try Chris, it's a shame you can't figure out the science of glaciers. Oh well, maybe in your next life you will be a little more enlightened.

4. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    ROME, Italy (CNN) -- Melting glaciers in the Alps may prompt Italy and Switzerland to redraw their borders near the Matterhorn, according to parliamentary draft legislation being readied in Rome.

Franco Narducci of Italy's opposition Democratic Party is preparing a bill to redefine the frontier with neighboring Switzerland, his office said Wednesday.

Narducci is a member of the foreign affairs panel in Italy's lower Chamber of Deputies. Foreign Minister Franco Frattini has authorized the bill.

Switzerland also has cooperated with Italy on the matter.

The Italian Military Geographic Institute says climate change is responsible for the Alpine glaciers melting.

"This draft law is born out the necessity to revise and verify the frontiers given the changes in climate and atmosphere," Narducci said. "The 1941 convention between Italy and Switzerland established as criteria [for border revisions] the ridge [crest] of the glaciers. Following the withdrawal of the glaciers in the Alps, a new criterion has been proposed so that the new border coincides with the rock."

Melting glaciers force Italy, Swiss to redraw border - CNN.com

5. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,786

Yes they started melting at the end of the Little Ice Age too. Try again, this is very old news.

6. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    I once owned a house with a big kettle in the back yard where a glacier used to be.

7. glew

glew BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I wonder if the cavemen wrung their hands and made rules to cripple themselves when the Glaciers retreated from Yosemite? Or Yellowstone? Wonder if they cut out legumes and such to curb methane emissions? Or euthenized vast herds of mastadons and dire wolves in an attempt to keep the global climate, static? Wow...you libs just keep on going and going...never a look back :)

8. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    This is an eight year old story, how about something recent Chris, I followed the link, eight years old Chris. Irrelevant today.

9. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I was going to follow this link until I saw it is from Wikipedia, Chris the six-figure man quotes wiki.

What is your job Chris, its got to be easy as hell.

10. Middleman

Middleman Defender of the month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +289
    And once glaciers covered many places that now contain arable land.

Would you be happier if glaciers were expanding and encroaching on human habitation?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2