Glacier National Park loses two more glaciers.

Haven't the Glaciers at Glacier park been disappearing for millions of years?
It has been awhile since I have been there, but I am pretty sure they have been melting for awhile, and part of this is what caused I believe Lake Missoula to floud a large part of the northwest during the jurassic period or something???

Did they frisk you on your way out to make sure you weren't stealing a glacier?

Were you 'BuyMyIceBurg85' on e-bay?

They didn't notice me on my out, I am thrifty like that.
And from the sounds of it, they are not patroling them very well theses days. So with Glacier only being about four or five hours away, I might have to go steal me another one.

And as for E Bay, I don't know what you are talking.:eusa_shhh:

Read the damned article, Frank! What they are talking about is the rapid melting of the Greenland Ice Cap, and the significant slowing or even stopping of the Thermohaline circulation. This, as a result of global warming.

BBC - Science & Nature - Horizon - Big Chill

BOB THOMAS (NASA, Wallops Island): It comprises enough water to raise sea level by about six or seven metres if it all were to melt.

NARRATOR: They mapped the ice with a combination of global positioning satellites and lasers. The satellite measures the height of the plane and the laser measures the distance from the plane to the ice.

BILL KRABILL: There are five thousand individual beams per second that are being projected in to that scan there and then down in a pattern on the surface, measures the surface at ten centimetre accuracy.

NARRATOR: At five year intervals they have flown the same route across the island, each time they have measured the height of the ice. By comparing the two measurements they can see if the ice is growing or shrinking.

BILL KRABILL : There’s definitely changes taking place here, all over the margin of the Greenland ice sheet it is thinning. It’s equivalent to fifty cubic kilometres of ice and snow that are disappearing off the Greenland ice sheet each year.

NARRATOR: This fifty gigotonnes of water melting from Greenland was the first evidence that global warming might be effecting the ice sheet here. But one change really shocked them. They started to measure one of the island’s biggest glaciers.

BOB THOMAS: Less than ten years ago, five years ago, it was moving at about six, seven kilometres per year. And that was more or less in balance with the snowfall. Now in the five years since then the speed is almost doubled.

NARRATOR: It’s now advancing at twelve kilometres a year. The increase seems to be linked to global warming. It’s the fastest moving glacier on the planet. It dumps enough fresh water in to the sea each day to supply London for several months. Global warming seems to be reshaping the whole landscape of one of the biggest ice sheets on earth.

BOB THOMAS: Well I myself am convinced that global warming has affected the dynamics of the Greenland ice sheet and um that is possibly because increased melt water is creeping to the bed through crevasses and boullans and lubricating the bed and making it far more easy for the er, for the ice to flow.

It has been awhile since I have been there, but I am pretty sure they have been melting for awhile, and part of this is what caused I believe Lake Missoula to floud a large part of the northwest during the jurassic period or something???

And from the sounds of it, they are not patroling them very well theses days. So with Glacier only being about four or five hours away, I might have to go steal me another one.

'Fess up, it was you that sank the Titanic on your way home, wasn't it? :eusa_eh:

yes, but that doesn't seem to permeate the thick skulls of people like rockhead

OK, dimwit, there have been periods of both advancement and retreat in the last 17,000 years.

However, what we are seeing today is a retreat at an accelerating rate that has no match since the end of the Younger Dryas.

'Fess up, it was you that sank the Titanic on your way home, wasn't it? :eusa_eh:

Yep, I decided to take the long way home. :D

Yep, I decided to take the long way home. :D

Then not only are you responsible for climate change, you also manage to put into action a chain of events that led to one of the worst movies ever! Damn you!!!!

Oh great, now I have that God-awful song in my head...... every night in my dreams......:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Read the damned article, Frank! What they are talking about is the rapid melting of the Greenland Ice Cap, and the significant slowing or even stopping of the Thermohaline circulation. This, as a result of global warming.

BOB THOMAS (NASA, Wallops Island): It comprises enough water to raise sea level by about six or seven metres if it all were to melt.

NARRATOR: They mapped the ice with a combination of global positioning satellites and lasers. The satellite measures the height of the plane and the laser measures the distance from the plane to the ice.

BILL KRABILL: There are five thousand individual beams per second that are being projected in to that scan there and then down in a pattern on the surface, measures the surface at ten centimetre accuracy.

NARRATOR: At five year intervals they have flown the same route across the island, each time they have measured the height of the ice. By comparing the two measurements they can see if the ice is growing or shrinking.

BILL KRABILL : There’s definitely changes taking place here, all over the margin of the Greenland ice sheet it is thinning. It’s equivalent to fifty cubic kilometres of ice and snow that are disappearing off the Greenland ice sheet each year.

NARRATOR: This fifty gigotonnes of water melting from Greenland was the first evidence that global warming might be effecting the ice sheet here. But one change really shocked them. They started to measure one of the island’s biggest glaciers.

BOB THOMAS: Less than ten years ago, five years ago, it was moving at about six, seven kilometres per year. And that was more or less in balance with the snowfall. Now in the five years since then the speed is almost doubled.

NARRATOR: It’s now advancing at twelve kilometres a year. The increase seems to be linked to global warming. It’s the fastest moving glacier on the planet. It dumps enough fresh water in to the sea each day to supply London for several months. Global warming seems to be reshaping the whole landscape of one of the biggest ice sheets on earth.

BOB THOMAS: Well I myself am convinced that global warming has affected the dynamics of the Greenland ice sheet and um that is possibly because increased melt water is creeping to the bed through crevasses and boullans and lubricating the bed and making it far more easy for the er, for the ice to flow.

D'oh!!

"NARRATOR: The earth’s past was full of devastating climate jilts, none as bad as a full ice age but enough to turn Britain in to Alaska. The search was on to find out what could trigger these climatic disasters. They searched through the ice record for clues. Had huge volcanoes blotted out the sun? There was no evidence for that. A succession of asteroid impacts? Again, no evidence. More wobbles in the sun’s orbit? That didn’t fit. In fact no one could account for what Ally had discovered. Except for one man who thought he could. Wally Broecker is the guru of climate science. He was convinced that it was all to do with the oceans."

To malign Oscar Wilde...

To lose one glacier is a tragedy... but to lose two seems more like carelessness.

I wonder if they're with the lost Himalayan glaciers. >snort<

Forum List

Back