Giving

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Although Thanksgiving has come and gone, and Christmas is right around the corner, now is the perfect time to give thanks. In particular, thanks for Democrats like Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean who are doing their part to bail water out of the Republicans’ public opinion ship.

This has been a tough year for Republicans. There’s no doubt about it. President Bush’s approval ratings have hit record lows; grassroots conservatives are frustrated over Republicans inability to control spending or move past “guest worker” programs in addressing border security; and the media is constantly painting a picture of failure in Iraq.

One would think that the Democrats would be salivating over such an alignment of good fortune, and they should be. Republicans have dropped the ball numerous times when given the opportunity to actually stand up and lead. However, just when the momentum appears to be headed toward the Democrats, left-wing standard bearers such as Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean remind voters that being reckless is much worse than being inept.

In comments made on a San Antonio radio station, Dean told listeners that the U.S. can’t win the war in Iraq.

Dean told radio station WOAI, “The idea that we’re going to win this war is an idea that unfortunately is just plain wrong.” Dean said he’s seen such a scenario before — in Vietnam — and “I don’t want to do down that road again.”

Dean’s comments were met with rapid condemnation from Republicans. Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman said:

“In predicting that America will lose the war in Iraq, Howard Dean is the latest national Democrat leader to embrace retreat and defeat in the central front in the war on terror.”
“His outrageous prediction sends the wrong message to our troops, the enemy, and the Iraqi people just 10 days before historic elections. Democrats across the nation should stand up and reject the pessimism of their chairman and strategy of defeat by their Congressional leaders.”

Dean, along with Pelosi and Pennsylvania Democratic John Murtha, are calling for an immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. This message will not resonate with the American public at all, and is not even sitting well with many congressional Democrats. Pelosi and Dean are managing to squander their public opinion advantage faster than Dean can yell, “Heeeeeeeee Hahhhhhhhhhh.”

In a fundraising message to supporters, Pelosi calls on Democrats to give money to throw “the Republicans right out of Congress.” Pelosi adds:

“Think of that friend or that member of your family who has been hurt, or even just outraged by what the Republicans have done to our country — is there anything they want more than to help restore decency to our government?”
Yes, it’s true, Americans do want decency in government, but they also want level-headed, steady leadership. Moonbat comments such as calling for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq or neverending attacks with no positive alternative, do not sit well with the American public.

Pelosi adds that Democrats will offer “real” plans for energy, prescription drugs, and more. My question is, “Where are these plans?” Does she really think that a message of “Elect us now, plans to follow” will work with the American public? With advocates like Dean and Pelosi, Republicans look better every day.

http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=163

Decent article.

Good for creating discussion

COuld have been condensed to one or two paragraphs and not anything really new.

But our side cant sit silent, so the point does need to be made. I do have a problem with one comment, about the Repubs,

Ever hear of Sam Johnson? Me neither. He is a war vet, korea and vietnam. Spent 29 years in the air force. He flew fighter jets and was taken POW, spent half his 7 years of POW in solitary. He also happens to be a senator, who spoke on the same day Murtha did, in opposistion to Murtha, but who gets all the press as a war vet? I dont think its so much the repubs fault their message doesnt get out as it is the MSM.

LuvRPgrl said:
Decent article.

Good for creating discussion

COuld have been condensed to one or two paragraphs and not anything really new.

But our side cant sit silent, so the point does need to be made. I do have a problem with one comment, about the Repubs,

Ever hear of Sam Johnson? Me neither. He is a war vet, korea and vietnam. Spent 29 years in the air force. He flew fighter jets and was taken POW, spent half his 7 years of POW in solitary. He also happens to be a senator, who spoke on the same day Murtha did, in opposistion to Murtha, but who gets all the press as a war vet? I dont think its so much the repubs fault their message doesnt get out as it is the MSM.

I think Bush is learning a hard lesson, I understand Karen Hughes is finally coming back on board, maybe they will actually have an engaged pr department now??

:thup:
Bonnie said:
I think Bush is learning a hard lesson, I understand Karen Hughes is finally coming back on board, maybe they will actually have an engaged pr department now??

Karen has a grasp on reality...much more than Karl...sorry to say he is a Nevada reject!

Bonnie said:

I tend to agree. I have a hunch the Press in Texas wasnt nearly the same as what he is experiencing in the national and international level. I think he will adapt to it though, his polls will go up, the only poll that matters is the one right before and during the next election cycle.

archangel said:
:thup:

Karen has a grasp on reality...much more than Karl...sorry to say he is a Nevada reject!

Karen was great during Bush's first term, she knows how to pound the message home.

LuvRPgrl said:
I tend to agree. I have a hunch the Press in Texas wasnt nearly the same as what he is experiencing in the national and international level. I think he will adapt to it though, his polls will go up, the only poll that matters is the one right before and during the next election cycle.

I also think Bush and crew don't place much stock in polls because they believe they are doing the right thing and that will be proven down the road, problem is like you said polls do matter during election cycles, but Bush needs some support for the war effort lest he continues to have a hard daily sell to the American people.

Forum List

Back