Giving the Remington R51 v2 a chance...

As much as I'd like to have one, and I look at them and the Makarovs often on Classic Arms, I can't justify another caliber handgun just a half step down from 9mm Nato on my budget.

In fact, I'm going the other way, reducing chamberings with similar capabilities...choosing one and selling the other...or others.
The old Soviet bloc didn't have qualms about the short 9, worked well for them but if you're looking to up caliber on a classic then go with the CZ52, all metal (2.09 lbs) and fires a 7.62x25 round. It's big but relatively flat, single stack and if you're using FMJ ammo you have to know what's behind your target, what's behind that and possibly what's behind that.......... The only weak point is the original cast firing pins, new very strong ones (kind of expensive) and unused originals (cheap) are readily available.

Ballistics test;

They do make hollow point for it also.

Kinda pissed I sold mine now........ May get a new one but they've jumped in value, around $400 now, mine cost me $100.

I've had a VZ-52 (original designation) for decades. I remember the first time I took it shooting I took it to the 200 yard rifle range and started plinking at the steel plates. After a half hour or so I went out to see what sort of dents the bullets were putting in the plate....no dents.... HOLES! I had to buy them a new plate!

It’s more a question of ‘why,’ rather than giving the R51 a chance.

The fact is there are better options for a concealed carry pistol at around that price.

And even with the reliability issues resolved, the Pedersen action is a classic example of a ‘solution’ in search of a problem that doesn’t exist – a design that has not proven to be as reliable as the Browning locked breech action.

Of course, it’s perfectly appropriate to purchase a pistol based on subjective factors such as appearance and corporate image, but an objective argument can’t be made in support of purchasing an R51.

Totally agree...100%.

But a non-objective argument can be convincing.

1) I'm amazed they brought this gun back to market...no way Remington is going to make a dime on this gun...but they promised the original owners of the Gen1 that they would replace their recalled firearms...and they did it. Score one for corporate integrity.

2) I like metal guns. Sure, there are plenty of polymers out there. And if you're into that, you have plenty of choices. But in the all metal CCWs in 9mm, I can't think of a single one under twice the price of this Remington. I'm not putting down polymer guns in any way...BUT...that doesn't mean we can disregard the fact buying polymer is also a risk, however small. Maybe they'll hold up wonderfully, and be passed down to grandchildren...or maybe they'll end up split and cracked like the old Nylon 66s.

3) Not to bring politics into the hobby arena, but because this is at least a factor in my decision making, I'd be remiss not to include it.
I swore off the legacy firearms manufacturers of Gunmaker's Row. My money wasn't going to end up funding anti-gun state governments even tangentially. I bought Bond Arms from Texas, North American Arms from Utah, and even a homegrown Heizer Defense from beautiful Pevely, Missouri (PKO45 --- Check it out here). When Americas oldest gunmaker made the very move I desperately sought...to move out of New York to North Carolina and open a new manufacturing plant first in North Carolina, then in Huntsville, Alabama...I'm almost honor bound to support them after being such a vocal proponent of this very course of action.

4) The design is aesthetically pleasing and the price is right.

5) Who doesn't love an underdog.

There is not a single objective rationale in the bunch, and yet it was compelling...at least to me.

PS...the full sized Remington RP9 is only $297 at Classic Firearms. Two left ... Remington RP9 96476 For Sale - Classic Firearms

Last edited:
Received the transfer today. Very, very nice firearm. Well made inside and out. Really fits the my hand well. Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I'll take it to the range.

Weather didn't cooperate, but I did strip it down and reassembled it a few times. More complicated than typical modern firearms, but a lot less complicated than say a Ruger Mark I.

Once you do it a few times, not a big deal at all.

Forum List

Back