Given the Air France Airbus 330 disaster,why don't we have a Satellite communication,

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
Given the recent Air France A330 crash, I am amazed that the Airlines don't have a Global Satellite communications, and tracking system?!$.
I learned from recent news reports, that the current VHF radio communications, stops
a few hundred milles after the plane leaves the Airport vicinity.?Also the Radar, does not go beyound a few miles after the plane leaves for international flights.!?$$.

Why not create a GPS system to track, and communicate with these long haul, international
flights.Listen , if we can track and communicate with Astronaughts, that went to the Moon.
We can surely create a Global system to track, and communicate with these international
long haul flights.?!$.

What are your opinions on this subjects?!$

One ...

... what is up with the "!?$" every line?

Please, just answer the question in the post please. We know that because of the curvature of the Earth, certain land based communcations and tracking systems, can not
track these long distance overseas flights. What do you recommend as a solutions.? A international Satellite Airline tracking system?.

One ...

Please, just answer the question in the post please. We know that because of the curvature of the Earth, certain land based communcations and tracking systems, can not
track these long distance overseas flights. What do you recommend as a solutions.? A international Satellite Airline tracking system?.

Actually, the biggest road block is funding, the airline companies have been spending it all on those creature comforts and security. :eusa_whistle:

Also, nothing is ever 100% safe, never has been possible, never will be possible, and shouldn't be possible.

One ...

Actually, the biggest road block is funding, the airline companies have been spending it all on those creature comforts and security. :eusa_whistle:

Also, nothing is ever 100% safe, never has been possible, never will be possible, and shouldn't be possible.

I still feel we need to have a Global Airline communications and tracking system.Or would this not be cost effective.All major international airlines could pay a user fee. And / or be taxed to get it started. A couple hundred million dollars should do the trick.?

I still feel we need to have a Global Airline communications and tracking system.Or would this not be cost effective.All major international airlines could pay a user fee. And / or be taxed to get it started. A couple hundred million dollars should do the trick.?

Um ... no ... think more in the hundred billions, also add in the international work needed, more impartial panels, etc.. I won't pay taxes for it, I don't use it, I should NOT have to pay for it, period. Take out some of that excessive security instead, that would pay for almost half.

I don't think you would have to spend 100 million + because there are so many satelites in orbit already. They could probably just buy some bandwidth or whatever they call it for sat's.

The problem is that it would be ineffective. basic physics, the plane is 25,000 ft above the water probably 30,000. it's traveling at 300 mph and there are winds at 100 mph. It takes about a minute to freefall that distance which means that even if you have coordinates when the "event" happened the plane would be miles away in an unknown direction.

In the case of this particular flight, the question being asked should be why they flew into such a huge tropical storm in the first place. From what I have read, this is not common practice, and under normal conditions, a plane would go around such a system.

Given the recent Air France A330 crash, I am amazed that the Airlines don't have a Global Satellite communications, and tracking system?!$.
I learned from recent news reports, that the current VHF radio communications, stops
a few hundred milles after the plane leaves the Airport vicinity.?Also the Radar, does not go beyound a few miles after the plane leaves for international flights.!?$$.

Why not create a GPS system to track, and communicate with these long haul, international
flights.Listen , if we can track and communicate with Astronaughts, that went to the Moon.
We can surely create a Global system to track, and communicate with these international
long haul flights.?!$.

They do have.... The onboard maintenance computers use satellite internet to communicate with maintenance, and no doubt also give coordinates.

long haul flights.?!$.

GPS is global...

Sat telephones are common

The plane WAS communicating with the maintainance frequencies when the accident occured.

What makes you think communications would have made any diffrerence? Or possible if lightning knocked out the electronics?

Sometimes shit just happens so fast there is no time to react. I could tell ya stuff that would make your hair stand up on end but then if I did there would be no need to publish my book "the Pilot".

Forum List

Back