Give me opinions and information about iPads

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
Hi. I'm considering getting an iPad next year in order to have portable internet access. I've never gotten a laptop, and I don't really care to use a phone for internet access. I'm thinking that the iPad, with its compact size, but much larger screen than a phone, would be ideal for my needs.

I enjoy reading the news, checking discussion sites, especially this one, googling things I'm curious about, looking on Craigslist, things like that. How would the iPad work for that, and tell me about the different options of iPad.

Hi. I'm considering getting an iPad next year in order to have portable internet access. I've never gotten a laptop, and I don't really care to use a phone for internet access. I'm thinking that the iPad, with its compact size, but much larger screen than a phone, would be ideal for my needs.

I enjoy reading the news, checking discussion sites, especially this one, googling things I'm curious about, looking on Craigslist, things like that. How would the iPad work for that, and tell me about the different options of iPad.

Wait a bit and check out the new pads coming from competitors, unless you enjoy Apple deciding what you can, and cannot, do with your personal property.

If you get an iPad, definitely get the 3G enabled. It's a bit more, but worth it for travelling.

I don't have an iPad yet, but a lot of the folks I know do. It's a blast to use. I currently am hooked on my iPod Touch 3rd Gen and I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to the iPad due to the amount of traveling I do.

Wait a bit and check out the new pads coming from competitors, unless you enjoy Apple deciding what you can, and cannot, do with your personal property.

What do you mean by that?

He means the App Store policies. Apple is pretty strict about what Apps get approved for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. If they don't like it, it doesn't get into the App Store. You can get around that by Jailbreaking your device if it really bothers you.

I've never had an issue. I can get my ESV Bible on it for Free, my Constitution and Declaration, access to Weather, Sports, Wolfram Alpha, Wikipedia, CNN, and plenty of pretty fun games. But I do have friends that don't like the App Store and have jailbroken to get access to other things.

The computers are all von Neuman machines. But I wouldn't buy anybody's that didn't have a couple of USB ports build in. You have to buy this camera connection unit to put a USB port on the iPad. A $500 device and you must spend another $30 to get a USB port. That is ridiculous. My 5 year old Archos PMA400 has 2 built in USB ports and it fits in my pocket.

Archos PMA400 Review

I will admit there is an advantage to the tablet format over netbooks just from a hardware perspective. These devices do malfunction and keyboards are one of the culprits. The keys can stop working or short out. If your tablet has a USB port then you can choose from lots of folding USB keyboards to use with it. If it malfunctions just buy another one. But if the keyboard on a netbook goes bad you probably have to take it or ship it somewhere and once it is out of warranty it will cost more than buying a folding USB keyboard.

What operating systems are on the tablets? Can any dual boot Windows and Linux? Do you want to live in the Apple OS universe?

I am thinking about a Samsung NF310 myself.

psik

iPad is perfect for those things. I wouldn't recommend it if you do a lot of word processing, but for hanging out online, it's great. it picks up wifi where it's available and, assuming you bought the AT&T plan, switches over to AT&T when its not.

lovey my iPad.

although... there is a samsung galaxy that supposedly gives iPad a run for its money.

Last edited:
The computers are all von Neuman machines. But I wouldn't buy anybody's that didn't have a couple of USB ports build in. You have to buy this camera connection unit to put a USB port on the iPad. A $500 device and you must spend another $30 to get a USB port. That is ridiculous. My 5 year old Archos PMA400 has 2 built in USB ports and it fits in my pocket.

Archos PMA400 Review

I will admit there is an advantage to the tablet format over netbooks just from a hardware perspective. These devices do malfunction and keyboards are one of the culprits. The keys can stop working or short out. If your tablet has a USB port then you can choose from lots of folding USB keyboards to use with it. If it malfunctions just buy another one. But if the keyboard on a netbook goes bad you probably have to take it or ship it somewhere and once it is out of warranty it will cost more than buying a folding USB keyboard.

What operating systems are on the tablets? Can any dual boot Windows and Linux? Do you want to live in the Apple OS universe?

I am thinking about a Samsung NF310 myself.

psik

I might be willing to jump onto an Android OS Option, but one of the advantages of the Apple iOS is the App Store, pure and simple. The vastness of the stuff offered there is just stunning. The Apple policies do a good job of keeping a lot of the non-functional junk out.

Part of the issue whenever you deal with a tablet is in getting programs onto the device to make it worth your time. That's less an issue with the Apple iProducts. Android Apps have some issues currently, but they're getting ironed out.

iPad is perfect for those things. I wouldn't recommend it if you do a lot of word processing, but for hanging out online, it's great. it picks up wifi where it's available and, assuming you bought the AT&T plan, switches over to AT&T when its not.

lovey my iPad.

although... there is a samsung galaxy that supposedly gives iPad a run for its money.
T Mobile has just come out with the Samsung Galaxy.

It is a step above the iPad and even has a video camera for when you are using Skype.

Which the iPad won't have till next year. (I heard not till summer)

lovey my iPad.

T Mobile has just come out with the Samsung Galaxy.

It is a step above the iPad and even has a video camera for when you are using Skype.

Which the iPad won't have till next year. (I heard not till summer)

that's what i heard, too. my tech people tell me that iPad will actually be playing catch up to the galaxy for exactly those reasons. skype alone is worth the price of admission.

that's what i heard, too. my tech people tell me that iPad will actually be playing catch up to the galaxy for exactly those reasons. skype alone is worth the price of admission.

I have been with T Moble for several years.

Great company and service.

My daughter has a new Droid2 that she loves.

But has to be with Verison.

Verison costs alot more than T Mobile in every category of service.

I have been with T Moble for several years.

Great company and service.

My daughter has a new Droid2 that she loves.

But has to be with Verison.

Verison costs alot more than T Mobile in every category of service.

we use verizon for our cell phones. and my son loves his Droid...

my husband and i have blackberry storm2 that we're not happy with.

we use verizon for our cell phones. and my son loves his Droid...

my husband and i have blackberry storm2 that we're not happy with.

I was just at the T Mobile store yesterday and checked out the new phone. ( I think it was the Galaxy S)?

It is a step above the new Droid2

And has the touch screen keyboard.

Which if you text alot; it's the cats meow.

You can spell out words by just sliding your finger from letter to letter.

Fastest texting I ever saw!! :eusa_angel:

Feds Threaten Apple's Control of iPhone and iPad - PCWorld Business Center

I love mine, it's great for the internet, and it's very similar in format to the IPhone.

I highly recommend it.

Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. Apple iPad: Battle of the Tablets | Sync Blog

For the first time since the iPad went on sale earlier this year, it has a competitor. And I’m not talking about a thin and light laptop or netbook or even an eReader no matter how fancy they may be. I’m talking about the Samsung Galaxy Tab: an Android 2.2 powered touch screen device that rivals the iPad in all but a few areas and even manages to up the game with some features that the iPad lacks.

But when everything’s said and done, has Samsung managed to beat Apple at the tablet game? I wish the answer was an easy “yes” or “no”, but as is the case with so many Apple-Android comparisons, the answer is “Sort of, well, maybe… um you might want to sit down.”

And there is:

Dell Inspiron Duo tablet/netbook combo goes live, priced at 549 US dollars

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/11/is-this-a-netbo.php

http://blog.gsmarena.com/dell-inspiron-duo-tabletnetbook-combo-goes-live-priced-at-549-us-dollars/

psik

Last edited:

Forum List

Back