Give 'em Hell in a Hurry, Harry!

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by georgephillip, Nov 10, 2010.

1. georgephillip

georgephillip Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    When Israel declared it's independence on May 14, 1948, President Harry Truman required all of 11 minutes to recognize the Jewish state.

"Truman wrote:

'Hitler had been murdering Jews right and left. I saw it, and I dream about it even to this day. The Jews needed some place where they could go. It is my attitude that the American government couldn't stand idly by while the victims [of] Hitler's madness are not allowed to build new lives.'"

Harry S. Truman - Wiki

Gore Vidal offers JFK's version of Harry's dream:

"Sometime in the late 1950s, that world-class gossip and occasional historian, John F. Kennedy, told me how, in 1948, Harry S. Truman had been pretty much abandoned by everyone when he came to run for president.

"Then an American Zionist brought him two million dollars in cash, in a suitcase, aboard his whistle-stop campaign train.

'That's why our recognition of Israel was rushed through so fast.'

"As neither Jack nor I was an anti-Semite (unlike his father and my grandfather) we took this to be just another funny story about Truman and the serene corruption of American politics."

Jewish History, Jewish Religion...

2. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    Truman had doubters within his own administration about the wisdom of recognizing Israel.

"Truman made the decision to recognize the establishment of the State of Israel over the objections of Secretary of State George Marshall, who feared it would hurt relations with the Arab states.[104]

"At a meeting in the White House on November 10, 1945, he told envoys to Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebanon and Egypt: 'I am sorry, gentlemen, but I have to answer to hundreds of thousands who are anxious for the success of Zionism: I do not have hundreds of thousands of Arabs among my constituents.'[105]

"Rejecting Arab, British, and US State Department warnings that Jewish immigration to Palestine and a Jewish state would destabilize the Middle East, Truman and Congress continued to support the establishment of a homeland for the Jewish people."

Not always because of Hitler's atrocities, however.

"According to George Lenczowski, Truman's policy on Palestine was influenced by Jewish lobbyists.[108]

"In his memoirs, Truman wrote that top Jewish leaders in the United States put pressure on him to promote Jewish aspirations in Palestine.[109]

"At the urging of the British, a special U.N. committee, UNSCOP, recommended the immediate partitioning of Palestine into two states.

"With Truman's support, the plan was approved by the General Assembly on November 29, 1947.

"Secretary of State George Marshall and foreign affairs experts continued to oppose the creation of a Jewish state in Palestine.[110][111]

"When Truman agreed to meet with Chaim Weizmann, the Secretary of State objected but did not publicly dispute his decision.

"Secretary of Defense James Forrestal warned about the perils of arousing Arab hostility, which might result in denial of access to petroleum resources in the area,[112] and about 'the impact of this question on the security of the United States.'[113]

"Truman recognized the State of Israel on May 14, 1948, eleven minutes after it declared itself a nation."

"The impact of this question on the security of the United States" hasn't been fully absorbed.

Yet.

But the events of 9/11/2001 offer a clue as to what their ultimate magnitude might be.

Harry S. Truman - Wiki

3. judyd

judyd Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I think Truman had a keen sense of fair play and a payoff had nothing to do with it. He also integrated the military services--who would have paid him to do that? He said: "My forebears were Confederates. . . . But my very stomach turned over when I had learned that Negro soldiers, just back from overseas, were being dumped out of Army trucks in Mississippi and beaten."

4. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Quick, Truman was late in recognizing Israel. Truman should of met with the leaders and supported independence before the declaration. Truman only wished to beat the USSR/Stalin, this was at the beginning of the cold war.

5. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    I think you're right about Truman's sense of fair play; however, there was another more pragmatic reason for the integration of the US military and civilian society.

At the dawn of the Cold War African resources loomed large in geopolitics. The Soviets were quick to point out to Africans the glaring hypocrisy of the US claiming to be a "free country" while black vets were being dumped out of trucks and beaten in Mississippi.

It is very difficult for most Americans who weren't alive in the 60s to believe just how racist and self-destructive this society was at that time.

6. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    I'm not sure when or if the USSR ever recognized Israel? During the Cold War Arabs were more likely to receive Soviet support while the US backed Israel.

Maybe a more relevant to question to consider today is what role the existence of Israel played in the terror attacks of 9/11/01?

7. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    It has never been about right or wrong. It is just politics as usual.

8. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    Politics that is always determined by socializing cost and privatizing profit.

"American policy makers in 1947-48 agreed that the highest foreign policy objective was containment of Soviet expansion as the Cold War unfolded.

"From Washington's perspective Palestine was secondary to the goal of protecting the 'Northern Tier' of Greece, Turkey, and Iran from Communism, as promised by the Truman Doctrine.

"Truman set three goals for the region: a peaceful solution, unwillingness to send U.S. troops, and the need to prevent Soviet penetration."

If that $2 million story that JFK told Gore Vidal is true, that suitcase Harry received on his train in 1948 could one day rival in infamy the 30 pieces of silver received by Judas.

And the US will be just as dead as the first Jewish state and Rome.

Harry S. Truman - Wiki

9. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    You are pathetic there, the Soviets changed policy (Stalin recognized Israel) after Israel started supporting the western powers, they then started a massive anti-semetic hate campaign (built upon the articles of zion conspiracy), much like yours and called Israel a quote "terrorist state", much like you...I wonder. :eusa_whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union_and_the_Arab%E2%80%93Israeli_conflict

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  10. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Five minutes after Truman. Give or take, it was a race.

What role did Israel play, a major role, I cannot deny that. Still if there was no Israel its difficult to contemplate what would of happened.

We cannot change the past.

We appease the Arabs, what role does that have in 9/11.

Human nature is the same everywhere, it knows no level of education or intelligence. The smartest people in the world can be the worst human beings.

Thugs are thugs, bullies can only be stopped by force, meeting their violence, with equal and overwhelming violence.

How far can we retreat from the tyrants. Do we start with Israel, than who next, where do we stop.

The trouble in the Middle East exists outside of Israel.

Did Egypt attack Yemen because of the Jews, did Iran and Iraq fight a war over Jews, did the Sauds fight the Rasheeds because of the Jews.

Without Israel war will still exist, even more so in the Middle East.