Give cyclists an extra day's vacation, politician proposes.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
190828053815-cyclist-germany-exlarge-169.jpg

A German politician has suggested that cyclists get an extra day's vacation.
(CNN)A politician has said cyclists in Germany should get an extra day of vacation because they are healthier and take fewer days off work.

"People who regularly cycle to work should be entitled to one additional day off a year," Stefan Gelbhaar, a Green member of Germany's federal parliament, told CNN.
"Statistics have shown that people who regularly cycle to work fall ill less frequently and have fewer days of absence from work," he added, citing Dutch studies and research from the German environment agency.

Gelbhaar added that there were some financial incentives aimed at encouraging people to cycle to work, but that none of these rewarded "the positive effect of bike commuting on workers' health" and lower rate of absence from work.

The extra vacation would also act as a motivation for commuters to use bicycles instead of cars, he added, calling on the government to support his suggestion.

German politician proposes an extra day's holiday for cyclists - CNN

So women get an extra day off work because they ride their menstrual cycles.

They take less days off therefore we give them one more day off... to not take? Seems pretty dopey.

I am not cycling to work 45 miles with tools to frame a house.
Those with real jobs who make things have shit to carry to work,
sounds like another benefit
to unproductive paper pushers.

• Banned

It's okay if you live somewhere like the Netherlands, where it's flat everywhere.

Imagine if it's pouring with rain, and you're riding to a business meeting, soaking wet.

It's okay if you live somewhere like the Netherlands, where it's flat everywhere.

Imagine if it's pouring with rain, and you're riding to a business meeting, soaking wet.
Or here in MN where it's snow and below zero half the winter.

Bike in that and a persons mental health should be questioned.

There was a counter argument from someone who has no choice but to take The Tube into London everyday for work.

Squashed like sardines, in the baking heat, forced to listen to the blaring music of inconsiderate passengers, which can be heard despite the headphones.

He needs at least two days off from that kind of stress.

I don't believe that riding a bicycle on city streets is that healthful.

A stationary bike in a gym? sure.

Or a bicycle park or velodrome, again, sounds healthful.

But on a city street, I hope you have a good orthopaedic surgeon on retainer.

Forum List

Back