Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish?

Which is better?

• Give a man a fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teach a man a fish

Votes: 15 100.0%

• Total voters
There are circimstances where you have to give them a fish before you can teach them to fish...plus you would at least have to give them the fishing rod and bait!? :D the tools to be self sufficient, if they have no means to get them, themselves.

This may be a little off topic, but have any of you seen the ads to buy a goat (or a couple of chickens) for a family overseas.....and that giving them this goat, will bring them to financial freedom, and feed their families?

They don;t want your money, they want a goat...?

Mother's Day

you can do this thru heifer international...you donate money...they buy various animals for people around the world....in south armerica guinea pigs are an animal to buy...they use them for food...

i think the deal with goats etc...the first born goes to another person in need..then you get to keep the others and sell them or breed them...we donate bee hives...or give them the money to donate bee hives...the charity works with them helping them learn to care for the animals...

many churches raise funds 5 k if i am not mistaken to buy an "ark" i think it is one of each of the animals offered..it ranges from water buffalo (?) to beehives..rabbits etc

Give a man a fire, and keep him warm for the night;

Set a man on fire, and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Goats are a terrible thing to give to people living on marginal grazing land.

They destroy the grass...as do sheep.

Wow, you guys can make anything political. :eek:

And why aren't more of you voting?

hire theman as an apprentice fisherman. Teach him to fish for 10% of his catch. If he catches no fish, give him a fish and add it to his debt. Once he learns to fish, you each take on a new apprentice and the Fishermans's Union continues to grow. Once large enough, hire thugs to keep anyone out of the union from fishing in the area. Require all members to give 10 percent of their catch as fees for membership and draw the fish you need from that coffer. Never fish again...

Aaaahh... teach a man how to fish, and then teach him how to be a crook. Must be the way they do it in Chicago... :eusa_eh:

Teach.

Unless is it Christmas when we are all in the giving spirit.

Or, if he has no arms or legs...that would be another situation when giving would be acceptable.

However, I prefer to sell the man fish.

Of course if he under cooks the fish or leaves it out to long before eating and gets sick or swallows a fish bone ..you could be liable and sued for all your fish...better to give the fish to a social service agency and let them dole it out and limit your personal liability..but make sure you get a recite for a tax deduction

Last edited:
if you teach more than one they will unionize and asked for govt subsidies not to fish and you will need to tax the rich to support them.....

Why would I fish for myself when the rest of you are going to give me yours?

Teaching a man to fish assumes that there are more fish than lessons taught. If the fish are a finite option then Teaching a man to fish only to watch him starve is worst than sharing your fish with the hungry man. by all means teach.. but don't act like the lesson resolves your common humanity.

if you teach more than one they will unionize and asked for govt subsidies not to fish and you will need to tax the rich to support them.....

you got that a tad wrong....unions don't get or ask for government subsidy help, but the businesses whom they work for probably do get subsidized by our government in one manner or another... :(

Forum List

Back