Giuliani Terror Ties?

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
Rudy's Ties to a Terror Sheikh

Giuliani's business contracts tie him to the man who let 9/11's mastermind escape the FBI
by Wayne Barrett
November 27th, 2007 3:39 PM
Illustration by Wes Duvall

Three weeks after 9/11, when the roar of fighter jets still haunted the city's skyline, the emir of gas-rich Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifah al-Thani, toured Ground Zero. Although a member of the emir's own royal family had harbored the man who would later be identified as the mastermind of the attack—a man named Khalid Sheikh Muhammad, often referred to in intelligence circles by his initials, KSM—al-Thani rushed to New York in its aftermath, offering to make a $3 million donation, principally to the families of its victims. Rudy Giuliani, apparently unaware of what the FBI and CIA had long known about Qatari links to Al Qaeda, appeared on CNN with al-Thani that night and vouched for the emir when Larry King asked the mayor: "You are a friend of his, are you not?"

"We had a very good meeting yesterday. Very good," said Giuliani, adding that he was "very, very grateful" for al-Thani's generosity. It was no cinch, of course, that Giuliani would take the money: A week later, he famously rejected a $10 million donation from a Saudi prince who advised America that it should "adopt a more balanced stand toward the Palestinian cause." (Giuliani continues to congratulate himself for that snub on the campaign trail.) Al-Thani waited a month before expressing essentially the same feelings when he returned to New York for a meeting of the U.N. General Assembly and stressed how important it was to "distinguish" between the "phenomenon" of 9/11 and "the legitimate struggles" of the Palestinians "to get rid of the yoke of illegitimate occupation and subjugation." Al-Thani then accused Israel of "state terrorism" against the Palestinians.

But there was another reason to think twice about accepting al-Thani's generosity that Giuliani had to have been aware of, even as he heaped praise on the emir. Al Jazeera, the Arabic news network based in Qatar (pronounced "Cutter"), had been all but created by al-Thani, who was its largest shareholder. The Bush administration was so upset with the coverage of Osama bin Laden's pronouncements and the U.S. threats to bomb Afghanistan that Secretary of State Colin Powell met the emir just hours before Giuliani's on-air endorsement and asked him to tone down the state-subsidized channel's Islamist footage and rhetoric. The six-foot-eight, 350-pound al-Thani, who was pumping about $30 million a year into Al Jazeera at the time, refused Powell's request, citing the need for "a free and credible media." The administration's burgeoning distaste for what it would later brand "Terror TV" was already so palpable that King—hardly a newsman—asked the emir if he would help "spread the word" that the U.S. was "not targeting the average Afghan citizen." Al-Thani ignored the question—right before Giuliani rushed in to praise him again.

In retrospect, Giuliani's embrace of the emir appears peculiar. But it was only a sign of bigger things to come: the launching of a cozy business relationship with terrorist-tolerant Qatar that is inconsistent with the core message of Giuliani's current presidential campaign, namely that his experience and toughness uniquely equip him to protect America from what he tauntingly calls "Islamic terrorists"—an enemy that he always portrays himself as ready to confront, and the Democrats as ready to accommodate.

The contradictory and stunning reality is that Giuliani Partners, the consulting company that has made Giuliani rich, feasts at the Qatar trough, doing business with the ministry run by the very member of the royal family identified in news and government reports as having concealed KSM—the terrorist mastermind who wired funds from Qatar to his nephew Ramzi Yousef prior to the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, and who also sold the idea of a plane attack on the towers to Osama bin Laden—on his Qatar farm in the mid-1990s.

This royal family member is Abdallah bin Khalid al-Thani, Qatar's minister of Islamic affairs at the time, who was later installed at the interior ministry in January 2001 and reappointed by the emir during a government shake-up earlier this year. Abdallah al-Thani is also said to have welcomed Osama bin Laden on two visits to the farm, a charge repeated as recently as October 10, 2007, in a Congressional Research Service study. Abdallah al-Thani's interior ministry or the state-owned company it helps oversee, Qatar Petroleum, has worked with Giuliani Security & Safety LLC, a subsidiary of Giuliani Partners, on an undisclosed number of contracts, the value of which neither the government nor the company will release. But there's little question that a security agreement with Qatar's government, or with Qatar Petroleum, would put a company like Giuliani's in direct contact with the ministry run by Abdallah al-Thani: The website of Qatar's government, and the interior ministry's press office, as well as numerous press stories, all confirm that the ministry controls a 2,500-member police force, the General Administration of Public Security, and the Mubahathat, or secret police. The ministry's charge under law is to "create and institute security in this country." Hassan Sidibe, a public-relations officer for the ministry, says that "a company that does security work, they have to get permission from the interior ministry."

What's most shocking is that Abdallah al-Thani has been widely accused of helping to spirit KSM out of Qatar in 1996, just as the FBI was closing in on him. Robert Baer, a former CIA supervisor in the region, contends in a 2003 memoir that the emir himself actually sanctioned tipping KSM. The staff of the 9/11 Commission, meanwhile, noted that the FBI and CIA "were reluctant to seek help from the Qatari government" in the arrest of KSM, "fearing that he might be tipped off." When Qatar's emir was finally "asked for his help" in January 1996, Qatari authorities "first reported that KSM was under surveillance," then "asked for an alternative plan that would conceal their aid to Americans," and finally "reported that KSM had disappeared."

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0748,barrett,78478,6.html

I can find nifty commentaries too.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58449

ELECTION 2008
Hillary takes cash from terror suspects
Muslim donors targets of federal investigation

Presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., has taken thousands of dollars in cash donations from Islamists under federal investigation for terror-financing, money laundering and tax fraud, WND has learned.
The Democrat senator over the past seven months has received $1,000 from M. Yaqub Mirza and another $500 from M. Omar Ashraf, federal campaign records show. Federal agents raided the Virginia homes and offices of the Muslim donors after 9/11 for ties to terrorism.

Others tied to the still-active probe also have contributed money to Clinton, including one Muslim man who after 9/11 complained the U.S. government should focus on changing its Mideast policies instead of killing Osama bin Laden and other Islamic terrorists.

Mirza, who also has given to other candidates, including Republicans, is said to act on behalf of Saudi millionaire Yassin al-Qadi, who the U.S. Treasury Department in October 2001 blacklisted as an al-Qaida financier.

More recently, Wachovia Bank closed the accounts of a shadowy Muslim charity supported by Mirza after an entity controlled by the Pakistani immigrant donated $150,000 to the charitable front, known as FAITH. The bank in 2005 cited suspicious activity in its accounts related to possible money laundering.

Mirza and Ashraf, who have not been charged with a crime in the ongoing probe, control with several other Islamists some 40 Muslim businesses, charities and think tanks known collectively by law enforcement as the Saudi-backed "Safa group." Their offices are located primarily at 555 Grove St. in Herndon, Va., a suburb of Washington. The Muslim World League, a Saudi-based charity linked to al-Qaida, originally set up its U.S. branch at that address with the help of Mirza.

Mirza in March contributed $1,000 to Clinton, listing his occupation as an officer of the SAAR Foundation. The Saudi-backed entity is listed on the federal affidavit for a search warrant in the original counterterror raid.

Mirza also gave $2,300 to former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore before the Republican left the race for president in July. However, Clinton is the only active presidential candidate who has received funds from Safa suspects in this election cycle.

Ashraf in August gave $500 to Clinton's campaign, listing his occupation as vice president of Sterling Management Group, another entity listed on the affidavit. His Herndon home also was raided.

In addition, Federal Election Commission records reveal a June payment of $500 to Clinton from Omar Barzinji, who works for a telecommunications firm as well as Amana Limited, a Herndon-based publisher of pro-jihad materials. Its offices, too, were raided after 9/11.

In September 2001, as rescuers were still pulling bodies from the wreckage at Ground Zero, Barzinji chided President Bush for failing to spend more time addressing why the attacks occurred and figuring out what had angered the Muslim hijackers.

"It's fine and dandy to go out and get the people who did this," Barzinji told the Washington Post. "You can go out and kill all the bin Ladens. But it won't change anything unless we change our policies in the Middle East."

Barzinji is related to Jamal M. Barzinji, whose Herndon home authorities also searched in their counterterror probe. The federal court affidavit alleges Jamal Barzinji "is not only closely associated with PIJ (Palestinian Islamic Jihad), but also with Hamas" – two known terrorist groups outlawed by the U.S.

According to a Sept. 11, 2004, Washington Post article, Jamal Barzinji joined his associates with the Muslim Students Association in 1971 in hosting the top leaders of the Egyptian Brotherhood for two weeks of meetings in Indiana. The Brotherhood leaders had just been released from 16 years in prison.

Jamal Barzanji, the Post reported, said he and his colleagues – who now claim they abandoned links to the Brotherhood years ago – helped persuade the Egyptians to try participating in Egyptian elections as an alternative to underground struggle. Barzanji noted, "It was one of our main contributions to the Ikhwan movement worldwide."

The Brotherhood – or al-Ikhwan al-Muslimun, as it is known in Arabic – follows the credo: "The Quran is our constitution, the prophet is our guide; Death for the glory of Allah is our greatest ambition." Bin Laden, his deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri, 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and "blind sheik" Omar Abdel-Rahman all belong to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Two of Jamal Barzinji's closest business associates – Abdurahman Alamoudi and Soliman Biheiri – are known leaders in the Muslim Brotherhood in America. Both men have been convicted of terror-related charges since 9/11. The Treasury now says Alamoudi was one of al-Qaida's top fundraisers in America.

Abdurahman Alamoudi, center, with Vice President Al Gore and President Bill Clinton

During her 2000 Senate campaign, Clinton took $1,000 from Alamoudi when he was head of the American Muslim Council. She was forced to return the money when news got out that he voiced support for Palestinian terrorists. (She listed his group as the "American Museum Council" in her donor report to the FEC, an attempt critics say to disguise Alamoudi as a curator rather than a terrorist supporter. As first lady, Hillary had hosted Alamoudi at the White House.)

Investigators say Jamal Barzinji also is close to Sami al-Arian – who pleaded guilty to aiding terrorists – as evidenced by documents seized in Tampa, Fla., reflecting direct correspondence between the two.

The Clinton campaign says it thoroughly vets all its individual donors for ties to terrorism and criminal activity. It's not clear if Mirza and the other Safa-tied donors simply slipped the net or if the campaign was aware of their backgrounds. Calls to her campaign were not immediately returned.

But another Democrat – Rep. Jim Moran of Virginia – was forced to return $3,950 in cash from Mirza in 2002 after the terror-tainted donations were revealed in the press. That same year he also refunded $3,750 to Jamal Barzinji.

Nancy Luque, a Washington-based lawyer for Jamal Barzinji and other Safa directors under investigation, says her clients do not support terrorism in any way, adding that the government is conducting a witch hunt. Barzinji has not been charged with a crime in the years-long probe.

Earlier this year, Clinton agreed to return some $50,000 in illegal donations from a Pakistani businessman after news broke that the FBI sought him for fraud. The donor, Abdul Rehman Jinnah, recently surrendered to U.S. authorities after fleeing the country. Clinton also has vowed to return $850,000 in dirty cash raised by outlaw Chinese donor Norman Hsu.

During her 2000 Senate campaign, Clinton had to return a $50,000 check from another Muslim leader – Agha Saeed – after it was revealed he backed Palestinian suicide attacks on Israel. She had received a plaque from him at a $500-a-ticket fundraiser sponsored by his group, the American Muslim Alliance.

I am definitely not a fan of Guiliani's. However, this is a stretch. al-Thani being related to a terrorist doesn't make him a terrorist, nor does knowing al-Thani give Rudy "terrorist ties."

That's akin to saying because a certain board member is a schizophrenic racist that we have schizophrenic racist ties.:badgrin:

How about taking money that pays for providing security for terrorists? If I were taking protection money from the schizophrenic racist board member, then I suspect you could say I had ties to that member, no?

Certainly more than Saddam had with Al Queda.

How about taking money that pays for providing security for terrorists? If I were taking protection money from the schizophrenic racist board member, then I suspect you could say I had ties to that member, no?

How about taking money from Foreign Countries to run your Presidential campaign? Then providing pay back to said Country by allowing the transfer of sensitive technology?

Or what about taking the money from the ex wife of a fugitive from Justice and then in a midnight deal Pardoning him against the direct wishes of the Justice Department?

Well, certainly more than I had with al Qaeda too. That's an arbitrary comparison of apples and oranges.

I'm not understanding your first paragraph. Taking money for providing security to terrorists? Is THAT what you are accusing Guiliani of? I wasn't aware Guiliani provided security for terrorists.

If you were taking the money TO provide protection, then I could say you have ties. If he just donates the money for some unrelated reason -- say a campaign contribution, no, I don't see the point nor the correlation except in a REALLY roundabout way.

Well, certainly more than I had with al Qaeda too. That's an arbitrary comparison of apples and oranges.

I'm not understanding your first paragraph. Taking money for providing security to terrorists? Is THAT what you are accusing Guiliani of? I wasn't aware Guiliani provided security for terrorists.

If you were taking the money TO provide protection, then I could say you have ties. If he just donates the money for some unrelated reason -- say a campaign contribution, no, I don't see the point nor the correlation except in a REALLY roundabout way.

Did you read the whole article I posted? That's exactly what Giuliani's firm did -- took money from terrorists to protect them, it appears.

The rabid right-wingers can't help it Shogun... so it ain't no thang.

Not to mention that Rudy's running as the 9/11 dude.. I think the irony escapes them.

Just like you can't help vomiting up whatever half-assed "article" from whatever Liberal rag you get your hands on and thinking you've made a bold statement. There was irony missed alright, that's for sure.

What can I say...

this thread simply lures deep, insightful posts.

much like the special Olympics lures America's best athletes.

:thup:

What can I say...

this thread simply lures deep, insightful posts.

much like the special Olympics lures America's best athletes.

:thup:

Heh... yeah, well, there are certain posters who are so angry all the time that they can't have a rational discussion.

But there are some good ones out there. ;)

and some thrive on conflict enough to piece together their self esteem from the ashes of bipartisanship.

Now, i don't put much weight in the rudy accusations. I hate the mud slinging that is nothing more than shit talking. But, a worthwhile rebuttal wouldn't be digging up something on hillary.

American politics is like the fucking thunder dome!

two men entahh.. one man leaves.

and some thrive on conflict enough to piece together their self esteem from the ashes of bipartisanship.

Now, i don't put much weight in the rudy accusations. I hate the mud slinging that is nothing more than shit talking. But, a worthwhile rebuttal wouldn't be digging up something on hillary.

I used to work for a briliant political tactician who would tell me "politics is a full contact team sport". ;)

American electoral politics is like the Thunder Dome but in the legislature it's pansy-wansy. No big fights, no big debates, just a bunch of pussyfooting around and agreeing with each other. I mean I don't like that little Scottish prick George Galloway but even that little blowhard put the wind up your demure Senators - mob of wusses has the vapours when George let rip :lol:

Did you read the whole article I posted? That's exactly what Giuliani's firm did -- took money from terrorists to protect them, it appears.

Guiliani did not knowingly take money from terrorists to protect them. I will change my opinion when I see some REAL evidence otherwise instead of some imaginative guesswork.

Guiliani did not knowingly take money from terrorists to protect them. I will change my opinion when I see some REAL evidence otherwise instead of some imaginative guesswork.

No, I understand, it's more "if they're repubs then they have to actually admit (insert illegal/immoral/unconstitutional act)...."

no man its like wwf wrestling Hillary and gulliani are bought and paid for by the very same interest and ultimately serve the same globalist agenda..its all a charade

Forum List

Back