Girls more violent then Boys...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&u=/ap/20040426/ap_on_re_us/girl_violence_1&printer=1

Violence Among Girls Increasing in U.S.
Mon Apr 26, 1:42 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By WILEY HALL, Associated Press Writer

BALTIMORE - Twelve-year-old Nicole Townes is out of a coma but still struggling to recover after being pummeled and stomped at a birthday party in a beating that was shocking not just because of its savagery, but because it was meted out by other girls.

Authorities say it is symptomatic of a disturbing trend around the country: Girls are turning to violence more often and with terrifying intensity.

"We're seeing girls doing things now that we used to put off on boys," former Baltimore school Police Chief Jansen Robinson said. "This is vicious, `I-want-to-hurt-you' fighting. It's a nationwide phenomenon and it's catching us all off guard."

Police and prosecutors said Nicole's beating Feb. 28 began when a boy at the party, acting on a dare, kissed the girl on the cheek. The other children exploded with "eeeewws" and laughter, according to the police report.

The 36-year-old mother of the birthday girl apparently was offended, because the boy was supposed to be her daughter's boyfriend. So the mother allegedly urged her daughter to "handle your business," an order police said meant the girl was supposed to defend the family's honor.

Nicole was scratched, pummeled, kicked and stomped by as many as six women and girls, police said. She was in a coma for nearly three weeks and is still hospitalized. Her family said she may have permanent brain damage.

Charged in the assault were the birthday girl, 13; her mother; her 19-year-old sister; and three other girls, ages 13, 14 and 15. Police also charged a 24-year-old woman who lived with Nicole with child abuse and neglect for leaving the girl at the party.

"We're just stunned and disgusted and we still can't understand how such a thing could have happened," said the family's pastor, the Rev. Durrell Williams of the Full Gospel Deliverance Church. Williams described Nicole as a timid girl, "not one of your fighters."

Around the country, school police and teachers are seeing a growing tendency for girls to settle disputes with their fists. They are finding themselves breaking up playground fights in which girls are going at each other toe-to-toe, like boys.

Nationally, violence among teenage boys — as measured by arrest statistics and surveys — outstrips violence among teenage girls 4 to 1, according to the Justice Department (news - web sites). But a generation ago, it was 10 to 1. Schools report a similar pattern in the number of girls suspended or expelled for fighting.

Experts say the trend simply reflects society — girls are more violent because society in general is more violent and less civil. Some say that the same breakdowns in family, church, community and school that have long been blamed for violence among boys are finally catching up to girls.

And some believe the violence is also fueled by the emergence of movies and video games such as "Tomb Raider" in which women wreak violence with the gusto of male action heroes.

The assault on Nicole illustrates how some parents are almost as immature as their children, said Rosetta Stith, principal of a Baltimore public school for teen mothers.

"You keep hearing that phrase, `Handle your business,' `Handle your business,'" Stith said. "Now I ask you — What business could a 13-year-old possibly have? But for a lot of girls, it's all about respect, defending your turf, fighting for your man."

Last May, girls were videotaped beating and kicking other girls during a hazing at well-to-do Glenbrook High School in suburban Chicago. And fighting among girl gangs in cities such as Los Angeles and Chicago has educators and community workers scrambling for solutions.

"It's a high-priority topic that resonates with any school, any principal today," said Bill Bond, who heads a project on school safety for the National Association of Secondary School Principals. "I've been to 17 association meetings this year and the topic has been addressed at every meeting."

Lauren Abramson, director of the Community Conferencing Center, a Baltimore agency that resolves disputes through mediation, said one difference between boys and girls is that gossip is more likely to be at the bottom of a dispute between girls.

"Gossip as a source of violence is understudied and little understood," Abramson said. "But time and again, when we bring the parties together, get them to talk and dig into what started it all, it invariably comes back to something somebody heard somebody else said."

Phil Leaf, director of the Center for the Prevention of Youth Violence at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, said society should not have been caught by surprise by the surge in girl violence.

"In retrospect, we can see girls falling prey to the same influences as boys," Leaf said. "A decade or so ago, we were worried about the lack of male role models in the home. Today, there is a dearth of effective female role models as the mothers who used to be there are forced back into the job market or get rendered ineffective through abuse of drugs and alcohol."

Leaf said the situation in Baltimore and other cities reminds him of the William Golding novel "Lord of the Flies": "We're seeing the effects of children growing up in a world without adults."

Something i knew for awhile. girls are much more violent then boys when they fight. Guys fight to settle things. Girls fight to hurt other girls.

True enough. IMHO, Mom and the 19 year old should be the ones getting the most serious charges here, they're supposed to be the adults, not the 13, 14 and 15 year olds. I do not agree that the woman who was taking care of Nicole should be charged with child abuse unless the state can prove she knew the party was dangerous. This case is a tragic reminder of how violent our society is.

I find it ironic that people throw a fit because Janet Jackson's breast was visible for a split second, but TV shows that have graphic violence are allowed to be aired, blood, gore and all.

acludem

That whole story is about black females attacking one another, that is very common.

"African-American girls between the ages of 12 and 19 are more likely than all other youth [in the U.S.] to be victims of violence -- beatings, sexual assaults," said Bryant. "The girls between the ages of 12 and 15 are more vulnerable than girls between 16 and 19."

David C. Miller is chief visionary officer for the Urban Leadership Institute -- a youth development organization -- and a consultant with The Johns Hopkins University Center for the Prevention of Youth Violence, a program funded by the Centers for Disease Control. He sees Nicole Townes' beating as part of several trends.

"Historically, we have seen large numbers of homicides and nonfatal injuries among adolescent and young adult African-American males," Miller said. "But within the last five years we are really beginning to see a trend among adolescent and young adult African-American females, as victims and perpetrators.

"If you look at some of the national data sets, it is clear that African-American females are at greater risk for both juvenile and adult incarceration, and that is because of a number of things: You're beginning to see more and more urban African-American females involved in drug trafficking. And as a result, you find they're also being more involved in the enforcement, holding people accountable."

Miller attributes this rise in violence by and against black girls to several factors.

"When you begin to look at child abuse within the African-American community, historically, it's something that has not been talked about," said Miller. "But look at the intense economic pressures and the fact that you have younger women and men having children, at 16 and 17 years of age. Even older African-Americans are having children, but they themselves never received nurturing and parental guidance and instruction in terms of how to parent a child.

Nothing anyone does will change there behavior it will just get worse, it's the nature of the beast.

I don't think it has anything to do with violent TV. On the contrary, I think both violent TV and violent people are spawned from our increasingly violent society. More and more people are seeing violence as a way to settle things. Since many guys already did this, girls are taking the biggest hit to their culture. They're now trained to be "independant" instead of "lady-like." I, personally, think they can be lady-like and independant, but today, independant seems to consist of acting like a guy.

The problem with girls arises from the fact that acting like guys is acceptable behavior, yet since they aren't, in fact, guys, they don't really know how it's done properly. Fights that break out between guys are usually fought to show who's superior. After one guy makes sure the other guy has a lot more bruises than he does, he considers himself the winner and leaves. The loser may walk away bruised and cut, but he'll be all better in a week, and chicks dig bruises, right? In fact, the only situation in which it's acceptable for guys to do more than rough someone up is when that guy has broken the rules, either by doing more than bruising or by assaulting a girl. Even then, it's usually either "return in kind" if for vengence, or "disable" if they catch him in the act. The only other exception is combat, and there are rules there, too.

Girls, on the other hand, have no such rules. I mean, just look at a women's self-defense class. One of the first moves is "kick him in the balls," and half of them don't explain that there are few situations in which it is acceptable behavior (for those of you who don't know, it is only ok to kick a guy in the balls in prevention or retaliation of a sexual crime, or to prevent a murder...that's it, period). When they fight, it's practically to the death. Used to, it evened out, since girl fights were horribly vicious, but quite rare. One a girl throws the first punch, get some help or you'll get torn up, too. The last girl fight I saw was when I visited my mom's school. One girl slapped the other, so the slappee took the slapper by the hair and slammed her head up agains the wall until 5 teachers were able to stop her. I've always had a saying on why we don't let women fight wars, and it's that, if they did, the war wouldn't be over until everyone on one side was dead.

No offense to any girls out there. Most girls I know are quite lady-like, even if they do know how to defend themselves. These are just trends I've noticed.

I agree that violent TV and violence in general are an outgrowth of our violent society. I was only commenting on the fact that we seem to be more threatened by the human anatomy then we are by the televised, gruesome killing and maiming of people.

acludem

I'm opposed to them both, although I'm more receptive to letting some things slide due to the ratings system. The problem I had with the Super Bowl is that it's supposed to be a family-safe event. It's a sporting event during which there is little unsportsmanlike conduct (these guys are the two best collections of pros in the country, and they act like it). However, the halftime show, which was rated 'R' before the breast exposure, was horribly sexualized and featured no warning to take the kids out of the room. I thought it was all pretty bad. If the show has a "TV14" rating at the beginning, and features some violence and sexuality, I don't have too much of a problem with it (except with the parents that let their 5-year-old watch anyway), and I'm even willing to let "South Park," with it's late-night airtime and "M" rating slide, but putting stuff like that on during the Super Bowl halftime is unacceptable. That's where I draw my line.

How could anyone blame a tv set for violence? Wasn't there violence on tv all along? My goodness, look back at the old Bugs Bunny cartoons - full of gun shootin', cannons blowing - I mean Elmer Fudd was always carrying a rifle while looking to shoot Bugs! Did that effect kids?? NO!

Kids are screwed up because parents have no time for them anymore. Both parents are out of the house all day and they are raised by teachers/guardians/babysitters you name it. Parents are not involved in their schooling...dont have time...and teachers cannot disapline them - or end up in prison...
You hit your kid in the arm for bad behaivor? You are deemed abusive - Yet, the abusive parents who end up killing their kids are okay - they just need guidence...????

I know a couple that follow that bill I just mentioned...gee their daughter is on drugs - how did that happen? Could it be, I just never talked to her ????

Times are changing...and not for the better....tv or music is not to blamed for violence.

Without blacks and hispanics, this would not be a problem.

It is amazing how much time, money and energy white people waste trying to constantly fix the problems "minority's" create.

I don't blame TV violence for every problem. In fact I blame those who let their children watch it. I was pointed out that people start calling the FCC in droves everytime a breast is bared, or someone uses the F-word, but cutting off people's heads at 7pm is just fine.

That being said, when you know who the performers are on the halftime show, Janet Jackson especially who is widely known for her sexy, over-the-top (or under the top in this case) performances than it is a parent's responsibility to change the channel.

I want to make it crystal clear that I am adamantly opposed to government censorship.

acludem

I think this is one area where acludem and I agree (that's gotta be one of the signs of the apocalypse or something). I don't blame offensive TV for much, but I still think kids shouldn't watch it, since the profanity is contagious and the violence and sex take away a kid's innocence.

Blacks and hispanic girls are much more violent then white girls.

I did'nt even know what a gang was untill hispanics moved to my neigborhood.

Originally posted by winston churchi
How could anyone blame a tv set for violence? Wasn't there violence on tv all along? My goodness, look back at the old Bugs Bunny cartoons - full of gun shootin', cannons blowing - I mean Elmer Fudd was always carrying a rifle while looking to shoot Bugs! Did that effect kids?? NO!

Kids are screwed up because parents have no time for them anymore. Both parents are out of the house all day and they are raised by teachers/guardians/babysitters you name it. Parents are not involved in their schooling...dont have time...and teachers cannot disapline them - or end up in prison...
You hit your kid in the arm for bad behaivor? You are deemed abusive - Yet, the abusive parents who end up killing their kids are okay - they just need guidence...????

I know a couple that follow that bill I just mentioned...gee their daughter is on drugs - how did that happen? Could it be, I just never talked to her ????

Times are changing...and not for the better....tv or music is not to blamed for violence.

I agree with this winston. Parents influence a child on every level. Every little thing a parent does,that child sees and absorbs. I think all the "ladies" in this story need a harsh punishment. We can't go around blaming everyone else like t.v. and radio for our behavior. Personal responsibility is what it boils down to. I'm not sure why exactly why girls may be getting more violent other than no good role models in her life. Look at this story,the mother condoned this shit!

My boy is nine and I am terrified for those teen years to hit. I want to stay as close to him as I can,and talk to him as much as I can. I was able to talk to my mom a lot as a teen,and I want the same for him. It may be his dad he wants to talk to,and that is fine. We just need to pay attention to them and let them know we are always here. Not a day goes by that I don't tell my son and 3 year old daughter how much I love them. I always ask my son about his day and if everything is going o.k. in school. People just have to let their kidsknow they care.

Bottom line is parents need to be involved -in a good way. These psychos are victims of their environment at home,probably.

It's funny that because you said "girls," it's okay. This is really a generalization in itself. If you would've said "Minorities more violent..." or something to that effect, I'm sure it wouldn't be so easily accepted. Just another thing that proves the real bias in thinking overall in this country.

Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie
It's funny that because you said "girls," it's okay. This is really a generalization in itself. If you would've said "Minorities more violent..." or something to that effect, I'm sure it wouldn't be so easily accepted. Just another thing that proves the real bias in thinking overall in this country.

Please clarify this is vague.

I'm just saying that if you would've started a thread entitled, "Blacks are more Violent than Whites," (even though it can generally be proved) there would've been some controversy usually ending up in the author being called a racist and what not.

Originally posted by insein
Please clarify this is vague.
Why do you separate
girls from boys?

We all all humans, from the human race.

If you don't care how much crime a certain race commits, why would you care how much crime a certain gender commits?

Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie
I'm just saying that if you would've started a thread entitled, "Blacks are more Violent than Whites," (even though it can generally be proved) there would've been some controversy usually ending up in the author being called a racist and what not.

Thats what the PC dems have created. A society that is afraid of offending its own shadow.

New Topics

Forum List

Back