Girls more violent then Boys...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Apr 26, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&u=/ap/20040426/ap_on_re_us/girl_violence_1&printer=1

Something i knew for awhile. girls are much more violent then boys when they fight. Guys fight to settle things. Girls fight to hurt other girls.

2. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    True enough. IMHO, Mom and the 19 year old should be the ones getting the most serious charges here, they're supposed to be the adults, not the 13, 14 and 15 year olds. I do not agree that the woman who was taking care of Nicole should be charged with child abuse unless the state can prove she knew the party was dangerous. This case is a tragic reminder of how violent our society is.

I find it ironic that people throw a fit because Janet Jackson's breast was visible for a split second, but TV shows that have graphic violence are allowed to be aired, blood, gore and all.

acludem

3. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That whole story is about black females attacking one another, that is very common.

"African-American girls between the ages of 12 and 19 are more likely than all other youth [in the U.S.] to be victims of violence -- beatings, sexual assaults," said Bryant. "The girls between the ages of 12 and 15 are more vulnerable than girls between 16 and 19."

David C. Miller is chief visionary officer for the Urban Leadership Institute -- a youth development organization -- and a consultant with The Johns Hopkins University Center for the Prevention of Youth Violence, a program funded by the Centers for Disease Control. He sees Nicole Townes' beating as part of several trends.

"Historically, we have seen large numbers of homicides and nonfatal injuries among adolescent and young adult African-American males," Miller said. "But within the last five years we are really beginning to see a trend among adolescent and young adult African-American females, as victims and perpetrators.

"If you look at some of the national data sets, it is clear that African-American females are at greater risk for both juvenile and adult incarceration, and that is because of a number of things: You're beginning to see more and more urban African-American females involved in drug trafficking. And as a result, you find they're also being more involved in the enforcement, holding people accountable."

Miller attributes this rise in violence by and against black girls to several factors.

"When you begin to look at child abuse within the African-American community, historically, it's something that has not been talked about," said Miller. "But look at the intense economic pressures and the fact that you have younger women and men having children, at 16 and 17 years of age. Even older African-Americans are having children, but they themselves never received nurturing and parental guidance and instruction in terms of how to parent a child.

Nothing anyone does will change there behavior it will just get worse, it's the nature of the beast.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I don't think it has anything to do with violent TV. On the contrary, I think both violent TV and violent people are spawned from our increasingly violent society. More and more people are seeing violence as a way to settle things. Since many guys already did this, girls are taking the biggest hit to their culture. They're now trained to be "independant" instead of "lady-like." I, personally, think they can be lady-like and independant, but today, independant seems to consist of acting like a guy.

The problem with girls arises from the fact that acting like guys is acceptable behavior, yet since they aren't, in fact, guys, they don't really know how it's done properly. Fights that break out between guys are usually fought to show who's superior. After one guy makes sure the other guy has a lot more bruises than he does, he considers himself the winner and leaves. The loser may walk away bruised and cut, but he'll be all better in a week, and chicks dig bruises, right? In fact, the only situation in which it's acceptable for guys to do more than rough someone up is when that guy has broken the rules, either by doing more than bruising or by assaulting a girl. Even then, it's usually either "return in kind" if for vengence, or "disable" if they catch him in the act. The only other exception is combat, and there are rules there, too.

Girls, on the other hand, have no such rules. I mean, just look at a women's self-defense class. One of the first moves is "kick him in the balls," and half of them don't explain that there are few situations in which it is acceptable behavior (for those of you who don't know, it is only ok to kick a guy in the balls in prevention or retaliation of a sexual crime, or to prevent a murder...that's it, period). When they fight, it's practically to the death. Used to, it evened out, since girl fights were horribly vicious, but quite rare. One a girl throws the first punch, get some help or you'll get torn up, too. The last girl fight I saw was when I visited my mom's school. One girl slapped the other, so the slappee took the slapper by the hair and slammed her head up agains the wall until 5 teachers were able to stop her. I've always had a saying on why we don't let women fight wars, and it's that, if they did, the war wouldn't be over until everyone on one side was dead.

No offense to any girls out there. Most girls I know are quite lady-like, even if they do know how to defend themselves. These are just trends I've noticed.

5. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I agree that violent TV and violence in general are an outgrowth of our violent society. I was only commenting on the fact that we seem to be more threatened by the human anatomy then we are by the televised, gruesome killing and maiming of people.

acludem

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I'm opposed to them both, although I'm more receptive to letting some things slide due to the ratings system. The problem I had with the Super Bowl is that it's supposed to be a family-safe event. It's a sporting event during which there is little unsportsmanlike conduct (these guys are the two best collections of pros in the country, and they act like it). However, the halftime show, which was rated 'R' before the breast exposure, was horribly sexualized and featured no warning to take the kids out of the room. I thought it was all pretty bad. If the show has a "TV14" rating at the beginning, and features some violence and sexuality, I don't have too much of a problem with it (except with the parents that let their 5-year-old watch anyway), and I'm even willing to let "South Park," with it's late-night airtime and "M" rating slide, but putting stuff like that on during the Super Bowl halftime is unacceptable. That's where I draw my line.

7. winston churchi

winston churchi Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How could anyone blame a tv set for violence? Wasn't there violence on tv all along? My goodness, look back at the old Bugs Bunny cartoons - full of gun shootin', cannons blowing - I mean Elmer Fudd was always carrying a rifle while looking to shoot Bugs! Did that effect kids?? NO!

Kids are screwed up because parents have no time for them anymore. Both parents are out of the house all day and they are raised by teachers/guardians/babysitters you name it. Parents are not involved in their schooling...dont have time...and teachers cannot disapline them - or end up in prison...
    You hit your kid in the arm for bad behaivor? You are deemed abusive - Yet, the abusive parents who end up killing their kids are okay - they just need guidence...????

I know a couple that follow that bill I just mentioned...gee their daughter is on drugs - how did that happen? Could it be, I just never talked to her ????

Times are changing...and not for the better....tv or music is not to blamed for violence.

8. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Without blacks and hispanics, this would not be a problem.

It is amazing how much time, money and energy white people waste trying to constantly fix the problems "minority's" create.

9. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I don't blame TV violence for every problem. In fact I blame those who let their children watch it. I was pointed out that people start calling the FCC in droves everytime a breast is bared, or someone uses the F-word, but cutting off people's heads at 7pm is just fine.

That being said, when you know who the performers are on the halftime show, Janet Jackson especially who is widely known for her sexy, over-the-top (or under the top in this case) performances than it is a parent's responsibility to change the channel.

I want to make it crystal clear that I am adamantly opposed to government censorship.

acludem

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I think this is one area where acludem and I agree (that's gotta be one of the signs of the apocalypse or something). I don't blame offensive TV for much, but I still think kids shouldn't watch it, since the profanity is contagious and the violence and sex take away a kid's innocence.