Girl Claims She Was Being Forced Into Arranged Marriage in Pakistan

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Authorities are investigating a California girl's claim that her family tried to force her into an arranged marriage in Pakistan, prompting the 13-year-old to run away from home and hide in a nearby motel.

Jesse Marie Bender disappeared from her Southern California home Feb. 22. Local and federal authorities launched a nationwide search for the child after her mother, Melissa Bender, said she thought her daughter was kidnapped by someone she met on Facebook.

But the family's account fell flat when police found the girl early Wednesday hiding at the Black Horse Motel in Apple Valley, Calif.

Jesse Bender, who was found unharmed and in the company of her biological uncle, told police she ran away to avoid being forced into an arranged marriage in Pakistan

...the teen lived in Hesperia, Calif., with her biological mother and stepfather, Mohammad Khan, a Pakistani native, but Walker said there were conflicting reports on whether Melissa Bender and Khan were legally married.

Walker said the girl was first reported as a juvenile runaway. She said the girl's mother told police that her daughter was upset about having to go on a two-month vacation to Pakistan. Melissa Bender then changed her story, Walker said, when she told authorities that Jesse may have been taken by a man she met on Facebook.

Police Investigate California Girl's Claim She Was Forced Into Arranged Marriage in Pakistan - FoxNews.com

Theories? Do you believe the mother or the teen? This sounds like a Lifetime Movie, doesn't it?

yes it does...both parents.....the arab being her step dad...say there were not taking her for an arranged marriage...i wonder if we the public will ever know the truth...

Okay, first of all . . . the mother lied to the authorities.

Second, they were planning to spend one or two months maybe over in Pakistan on 'vacation'. That's where I'd take my 13-year old daughter for vacation.

Third, how many American 13-year olds know what an arranged marriage is . . . let alone care.

The mother is full of it.

jck, I have to agree with you completely. The mother's story changing and the term "arranged marriage" being used by a 13 year old ate both key signs to me that the girl is telling the truth. Especially as the validity of her mother's marriage to this guy from Pakistan is now apparently up for discussion as well.

The girl sounds more honest than her mom.

Of course, getting a passport for her would be pretty much impossible. Unless the bio dad is incarcerated or in some other way she has total control, there have to be two signatures on the passport app, and there have to be notarized letters from both parents that she is even allowed out of country

Well, Well, Well.........

In another 5 years sh'll be able to decide for herself

jesse%20bender%20ap.JPG

to marry a red-blooded AMERICAN guy...

image7226561x_370x278.jpg

like Jared Loughner

Last edited:
I believe the daughter.

I truly hope they investigate this fully. If they find supporting evidence i hope that both of the "parents" are charged with attempted international sex slave trafficking.

Seriously, what mother is going to take her school aged daughter on a two month vacation in the middle of the school year? I think they need to look into trafficking charges against the mom.

I believe the daughter.

I truly hope they investigate this fully. If they find supporting evidence i hope that both of the "parents" are charged with attempted international sex slave trafficking.

Seriously, what mother is going to take her school aged daughter on a two month vacation in the middle of the school year? I think they need to look into trafficking charges against the mom.

:doubt:
Both of you should be ashamed by your inability to embrase multiculturalism.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I believe the daughter.

Yep...what an uppity girl not knowing her appropriate place and showing such disregard for hr step fathers wishses...sheesh

I believe the daughter.

Yep...what an uppity girl not knowing her appropriate place and showing such disregard for hr step fathers wishses...sheesh

Arranged marriages aren't BAD, they are an integral part of another culture.

Arranged marriages aren't BAD, they are an integral part of another culture.

"another culture". Not CA Middle Schools.

Jesse and her younger brother John had been living with their uncle, Michael Bender, who is their mother's brother and was not married. The family also included their disabled grandmother, Mary Bender, according to neighbors.

"Michael takes care of her and the children," said a 33-year-old neighbor who lives on his street and did not want to be identified. "He's a really great guy and works really hard to support all of them."

The children's mother was married to a Pakistani man who identified himself to reporters as "Mo." He was not the children's father.

"The mother generally doesn't live here and came back a few months ago," said the neighbor. "The kids are raised by Michael, their uncle. Jessie is a great girl -- a really sweet girl. She plays with my twins all the time."

The neighbor described the Jesse Bender's mother as "definitely not a stable person and I know her children didn't particularly care for her."
Jesse Bender: Missing California Teen Runs Away Because of Forced Pakistan Arranged Marriage - ABC News

Hmmm. I wonder what a pretty 8th grader sells for over there.

I hope that mother does serious jail time and her baby dadda is shipped back to the friggin desert.

In this article it says they are married, but he is not the father. In another article it said it was "unclear" whether they were married and he is the father of their 6 year old. Hopefully this uncle will get permanent custody.

why can you only conceive of an arranged marriage as a 'forced marriage' they are not the same...granted when it concerns a minor it is..but many people are married in arranged marriages for many different purposes...

Forum List

Back