giraffe cam..she is getting ready to give birth

Now!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe i MISSD IT!!!

Bones posted the YouTube video! I ALMOST missed it too, as I had logged off and was about to turn my computer off when I saw the thread got bumped and someone post that her water just broke... After she was born, for a few minutes I was a little worried as she was barely showing signs of any movement, so boy am I glad I checked out those other videos from the other zoos so I knew what to expect. It really was a thrill to witness those first steps too but also kind of heart wrenching for the first several bambi style stumbles...

Baby Giraffe's Name, Sex To Be Unveiled Wednesday Afternoon

GREENVILLE, S.C. --
The Greenville Zoo has a new face Tuesday. After much anticipation, Autumn gave birth to a baby giraffe overnight.

After weeks of waiting, nearly 1 million web viewers have tuned in to see the birth live via the webcam positioned in the Masai giraffe barn.

It happened around midnight. The calf was seen moving its head while 6-year-old mother Autumn cleaned and watched it. It wasn’t until about an hour later that the baby stood up for the first time.

Zoo officials don’t expect to learn the giraffe’s gender until a physical Wednesday.

The zoo said on its Facebook page the pair will be placed on exhibit after the neonatal exam. That gives them time to bond.

Zoo officials are expected to share details of the exam, including the giraffe's sex, height and weight and announce its name at 1 p.m.

Crystal Rose, Public Services Manager of the Greenville Zoo, says this is the first giraffe birth here.

"To be able to have a giraffe birth here at the Greenville Zoo, kind of puts us on the map," Rose said.

Rose says the calf will stay at the zoo for about a year, before it's moved to another zoo.

She says, hopefully there will be more big announcements to come. In the next couple of years, they say to expect 2 more giraffe births.

"The third baby, hopefully there will be a third baby, will stay here at the Greenville Zoo," Rose explained.

Baby Giraffe's Name, Sex To Be Unveiled Wednesday Afternoon | WSPA

Hope Autumn knows she's a rock star. A million viewers!

It's a boy! Greenville Zoo announces baby giraffe's name

GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) -
The excitement surrounding the birth of a baby giraffe at the Greenville Zoo on Monday night overflowed on Wednesday when it's name was revealed.

Greenville Zoo Director Jeff Bullock said Autumn, the zoo's Masai giraffe, went in to labor just before 11 p.m. Monday. At 11:49 p.m., the newest member of the zoo arrived.

"It's quite a blessing for us," Bullock said.

The male calf was walking at 12:45 a.m. and started to nurse at 1:52 a.m., Bullock said.

The sex of the newborn giraffe was not immediately known, but following a neonatal exam on Wednesday, officials announced the baby was a healthy boy and his name was Kiko.

"Lots of times when a male calf is born, everything hasn't necessarily gone into place at the moment, so once we get in there our vet will able to sex the baby and determine if it's a male or a female," said Zoo Public Services Manager Crystal Rose.

The results of that exam were announced during a press conference Wednesday. Bullock said the name Kiko means Autumn's child in Swahili.

In a foxcarolina.com web poll, 57 percent of users hoped it would be a girl. A name for the giraffe, for either gender, was selected from a local radio contest held earlier this year, officials said.

SLIDESHOW: Baby giraffe born, takes first steps

About two weeks ago, it appeared that Autumn was getting close to having her calf, which turned out to be a false alarm. The close-call prompted zoo officials to install webcams so fascinated animal lovers all over the world could watch the birth, but the cameras were not available 24 hours a day.

Since the installation, the page has been viewed more than 1 million times, according to a representative for EarthCam. Viewers from Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and across Europe have watched the video, in addition to the thousands across the United States.

According to an EarthCam representative, the giraffe camera had 210,000 views from countries including the United States, Sweden, Germany, New Zealand, Japan, Finland and France on Monday.

Following his exam, zoo officials said Kiko was 5'8" tall, and weigh more than 118 pounds. They said he will eventually grow to be about 16' tall and weigh as much as 2,600 pounds.

Autumn is on a breeding loan from Boston's Franklin Park Zoo. She was paired with the zoo's male giraffe, 7-year-old Walter, who is from the San Diego Zoo. Franklin Park Zoo owns the calf, which will return to the northeast after it is raised by its mother. Autumn and Walter's second calf will go to the San Diego Zoo and their third calf will belong to the Greenville Zoo, per the breeding loan agreement.

Bullock said the calf will stay in Greenville for at least a year. Officials said that the newborn giraffe will go on exhibit to the public immediately after Wednesday's press conference.

Visitors will see Kiko on exhibit with his mother, often seeing him nursing and sleeping, Bullock said. The mother and son will switch off exhibit time with new dad Walter. The zoo's ticket booth will keep guests informed as to who is on exhibit depending on the day and time.

Giraffes, the tallest land animal in the world, have one of the longest gestation periods of any mammal - 15 months. They also give birth standing up.

Cute name. :)

Forum List

Back