Gingrich’s Health Care Group Supports a Mandate

Well Duh...the mandate was a GOP idea from the get go. The Affordable Care Act is chock full of Republican ideas...in fact, if you were to compare it side by side to Bob Dole's Health Care plan...they are practically identical.

Well Duh...the mandate was a GOP idea from the get go. The Affordable Care Act is chock full of Republican ideas...in fact, if you were to compare it side by side to Bob Dole's Health Care plan...they are practically identical.
True. Although Republicans have really never wanted any healthcare plan, one that keeps the health insurance sector intact would be their choice. I suspect if Republicans actually passed a healthcare plan it would look a lot like Obamacare with a few old Republican standbys like tort reform.

If Gingrich really supports obamacare, democrats should vote for him.

They can't because Newt's white.

i wouldn't vote for anyone who thinks they should tell women what to do with their bodies.

i don't care if they're pink with purple polka dots. and that doesn't even touch on him lying about being a lobbyist and serving his wife divorce papers while she was in her hospital bed after a mastectomy.

you can pretend that it's a race issue. but you know better. :)

Last edited:
True. Although Republicans have really never wanted any healthcare plan, one that keeps the health insurance sector intact would be their choice. I suspect if Republicans actually passed a healthcare plan it would look a lot like Obamacare with a few old Republican standbys like tort reform.

"tort reform" is an absurdity...it has nothing whatsoever to do with health care issues.

and you're correct. what the repubs derisively calls "obamacare" is actually the plan devised by the heritage foundation (that bastion of liberal thought) in response to hillary clinton's health care reforme project.

the radical right only decided they hated individual mandates when a democratic president signed the legislation. :cuckoo:

It's good to know that Newtie was one of the first adherents to the individual mandate :) Thanks to Heritage Foundation too

That SOB is just another bloviating, bloated, RW, teabagged, lying bastard.

I don't know WTF he think he's fooling with this "historian" BS. The bastard was a paid lobbyiest. No one's going to fall for it. And if the teatards are stupid enough to put him up against Obama their going to get a WHOPPING dose of....

ROTF.....

I can't even begin to understand your point as you didn't make one. Just some claims.

But the post is loaded with all kinds of name calling displaying your ignorance.

And then you call someone a "teatard".

Look in the mirror. And if it does not break, try to understand just how others might see you.

"tort reform" is an absurdity...it has nothing whatsoever to do with health care issues.

and you're correct. what the repubs derisively calls "obamacare" is actually the plan devised by the heritage foundation (that bastion of liberal thought) in response to hillary clinton's health care reforme project.

the radical right only decided they hated individual mandates when a democratic president signed the legislation. :cuckoo:

It has nothing to do with a democractic president and (what is unfortunate in that it kills your credibility) is that you know it.

If the GOP had really wanted to put mandated healthcare in place, they would have done it in 2001.

Or would you be so silly as to argue that the democrats would have tried to stop them ?

They had White House, the house, and the senate. It would have been no problem. Please tell me if I am wrong here.

And if that is the case, you can only conclude that they really didn't want it.

Now, did they change their minds ? To be honest, I don't recall hearing any more about health care after "Hillarycare" died in 1993. I think this was huge mistake on the part of the GOP. They let the conversation go and when it surfaced again in 2008, they got just what they deserved for being so stupid.

But my claim is that they never wanted it. It was a counter to something more revolutionary in their eyes and it was offered up to help get the conversation defocused. But once Hillarycare died, it was gone.

They never wanted it..

You can say it was a GOP idea.

You can't say they should support it because it was "their idea".

The context is all wrong.

And you know it .

It's good to know that Newtie was one of the first adherents to the individual mandate :) Thanks to Heritage Foundation too

If your wife comes to you and says she wants a divoce, you might ask her to go to counseling to try and save your marriage. You might even offer to move out to let things cool off for a while. But your goal is to save your marriage. You talk about things besides divorce...things you may not like....but better alternatives to what you are facing. You take the conversation to another place.

If you and your wife are doing well and you ask her to go to counseling and offer to move out for a while.....what does she think ?

Makes no sense.

Your statement is crap.

They were not "adherents". They were in a really bad spot and were trying to find a way to get the conversation to another place.

Tort reform is an necessity even if we are not talking healthcare. If you think the current state of litigation is acceptable, then I feel sorry for you.

Litigation attorneys make money when people fight or dispute. Peace and cooperation don't serve their ends (or their personalities).

Other than the National Debt, we have a couple other thing hanging over the head of America's economical future, Public Pensions and the cost of health care.
The cost of health care continues to rise much faster than inflation, continues to out pace the rest of the world's cost rate growth and continues to drain our economy.
To me health care reform is reigning in the cost. The cost isn't just hurting individuals/families, but it also hurts business and our government. The Department of Defense raises it's budget not for just wars and defense but also for covering our troops and veterans.
One thing that does drive the costs for the health care industry is regulations. And another thing to a much lesser extent is frivolous lawsuits (1-2%). This makes the health care industry a very top heavy bureaucracy.
I think what has to be addressed is making the health care industry less bureaucratic and that certainly would stunt the growth of the cost of health care. Also the health care industry has some of the highest paid CEOs and top management, that too needs to be addresssed.

Here's some charts.

Last edited:
Thank you Michelle ;)
Bachmann: The 'Individual Mandate Was Newt Gingrich's Idea, And Mitt Romney Implemented It' | ThinkProgress
BACHMANN: Our candidate can’t be compromised. We have candidates that are compromised on the individual health care mandate, which is Obamacare. It was Newt Gingrich’s idea, and Mitt Romney implemented it.

It just goes to show you that anyone will forget context if it works in their direction.

Bachmann would be a good PTA president....maybe.

I think the answer is letting fat people die, being that is the main cause for death.... Why should we all pay for the problem when we all know all it will do is what it has been doing, allowing more people to feed themselves to death.

how about if we just end farm subsidy's?? Bye bye almost free corn. Bye bye cheap cows. Bye bye McDonalds, Burger King etc. People would start eating vegetables agian because it would be cheaper.

Oh yea, no more federal subsidies on food stamps. I see no reason poor people cant live on a budget like the rest of us.

Oh yea, no more federal subsidies on food stamps. I see no reason poor people cant live on a budget like the rest of us.

Well, they do.

At least some that I know.

They use the stamps to buy food and they use their cash to purchase alcohol.

Gotta come from the right T account.

Forum List

Back