Gingrich Woos Pastor Hagee's Flock

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is working hard to make in-roads with evangelical Christian voters ahead of his expected 2012 presidential bid, and he's turned to a controversial figure from the 2008 campaign to help him do that.

On Sunday, Gingrich was the keynote speaker at Cornerstone Church, a San Antonio megachurch headed up by Pastor John Hagee, who offered John McCain a crucial endorsement during the '08 campaign. But McCain later disavowed that support after several controversial comments Hagee had made about the origins of Hurricane Katrina and as well as other religions came to light.

Among other things, Hagee told National Public Radio in the aftermath of Katrina that New Orleans had suffered the "judgment of God" because of its "level of sin." (He later retracted the comment.) He irritated the Catholic League by seeming to refer to the Catholic Church as "the great whore" and "a false cult system"--comments he later apologized for even though he insisted he wasn't referring to Catholics directly. The tipping point for McCain was Hagee's comment that Adolf Hitler had been fulfilling God's will by targeting Jews. (A spokesman for Hagee says his comments were taken out of context.)

"Obviously, I find these remarks and others deeply offensive and indefensible," McCain said at the time. "I did not know of them before Reverend Hagee's endorsement, and I feel I must reject his endorsement as well."

Newt Gingrich woos evangelicals with the help of a controversial pastor - Yahoo! News

As amusing as he is to discuss and laugh about, I don't believe there are that many people who take him seriously as a POTUS candidate.

If you want to try to make sense of Newt's antics, try this.

There is a very good chance Huckabee and Palin may NOT run. They own the Christian Right;

if they don't run, someone has to be there to step up and catch the fundies on the rebound so to speak.

Newt, the Brains of the GOP, may be trying to position himself for that...

...yes, it's demented, but it's something...

There is a very good chance Huckabee and Palin may NOT run. They own the Christian Right;

if they don't run, someone has to be there to step up and catch the fundies on the rebound so to speak.

Dennis Kucinch has a better chance of getting the fundamentalist vote than Gingrich.

Dennis Kucinch has a better chance of getting the fundamentalist vote than Gingrich.
You mean they wouldn't be impressed with his cheating on his wife while she had cancer bit?

The President has a bunch of revolutionaries who want to overthrow our government surounding and advising him, some of which who have actually engaged in terrorist actions and support him without hesitation. Yet, you think that an unlikely Republican candidate trying to win the support of a prominent, if not controversial, pastor is a big deal?

Seriously, some of you guys have screwed up priorities.

The President has a bunch of revolutionaries who want to overthrow our government surounding and advising him, some of which who have actually engaged in terrorist actions and support him without hesitation. Yet, you think that an unlikely Republican candidate trying to win the support of a prominent, if not controversial, pastor is a big deal?

Please give us the names of those individuals, surrounding the president.

Avatar has to be the top comedian on these boards! Bravo!!! :clap2:

I wish I was joking.

I wish I was joking.

You weren't? :eek:

Forum List

Back