Gingrich takes BIG chance on immigration stance

This was the right time for Newt to give his opinion on immigration. Bringing it into play now means that once he's got the nomination he can't be accused of "playing to the middle", and at this point he's all but secured his slot as the "Not Mitt Romney" option. If you're unhappy with Newt's plan, what will you do? Vote for Romney? Vote for Perry who's even weaker on this issue?

I think that he's won this one in the long run. Being pro-Amnesty will help him undercut support for Obama among latino voters who are already ticked at Obama. In the latino community Obama has become known as the "Deporter In Chief." About the only thing that would have held them in Obama's camp is the idea the GOP would be worse. Now, they know Newt wouldn't be.

This was the right time for Newt to give his opinion on immigration. Bringing it into play now means that once he's got the nomination he can't be accused of "playing to the middle", and at this point he's all but secured his slot as the "Not Mitt Romney" option. If you're unhappy with Newt's plan, what will you do? Vote for Romney? Vote for Perry who's even weaker on this issue?

I think that he's won this one in the long run. Being pro-Amnesty will help him undercut support for Obama among latino voters who are already ticked at Obama. In the latino community Obama has become known as the "Deporter In Chief." About the only thing that would have held them in Obama's camp is the idea the GOP would be worse. Now, they know Newt wouldn't be.

He will be accused of that anyhow. But that was a good observation on your part.

Anything less than demonizing immigrants doesn't fly with the over 65 crowd.

Agreed. This may be The Smart Move making a difference between victory and defeat. Certainly didn't look good for the other candidates who scurried out of the light. And it takes the wind out of the sails of portraying him as a narrow-minded conservative by the Obama camp if Newt ends up with the GOP nomination.

I find it refreshing. I'm not big on amnesty; however, I understand that there has to be a reasonable compromise if we're seriously seeking a solution.

Agreed. This may be The Smart Move making a difference between victory and defeat. Certainly didn't look good for the other candidates who scurried out of the light. And it takes the wind out of the sails of portraying him as a narrow-minded conservative by the Obama camp if Newt ends up with the GOP nomination.

I find it refreshing. I'm not big on amnesty; however, I understand that there has to be a reasonable compromise if we're seriously seeking a solution.

You really think the Tea Party will "find it refreshing?"

The Tea party is running out of tomato cans to throw at Romney.

Gingrich using the sanctity of the family to rationalize the "inhumanity" of not rewarding lawbreakers who disrespect U.S. sovereignty with a free pass & squater's rights.

Gingrich is a long time proponent of amnesty for illegals, high levels of chain migration, & unlimited Green Card distribution throughout Latin America. Gingrich voted for the 1986 amnesy bill.

"Get here, Stay here" has been Gingrich's bottom line for decades.

I believe that the citizens of this country are falling for the same political B.S regarding immigration since we saw a substantial increase starting in the 1980. There is absolutely no incentive to stop illegals working in this country, Business make larger profits by hiring workers who are willing to work for low wages doing jobs U.S citizens will not do, especially at the wages being offered. The united states government on the other hand are collecting Social Security taxes and medicare taxes that will never be paid out. It is estimated that there is currently around 1 trillion dollars in Social Security in a fund called the earnings suspense fund that will not be filed for and several hundreds of billions in medicare.
Research it. The total number of companies fined for hiring illegals is so little it will boggle the mind. Even when Wal-Mart was caught they only payed a fine of 11 million dollars. All the talk of legalizing those that are here or deporting or fining companies for hiring illegals is just that talk. They will always be here and always be allowed here. As far as the vote well Newt is Newt and that says it all. I prefer no party just individuals and vote that way. If there is no one running I believe is honest or can do the job I write in someone which is not throwing away my vote as I have been told. I still let them know who I want.

Political gamble for Gingrich on immigration - CNN.com

He may have cooked his goose with the ultra right for the GOP nomination. I hope not, as do most of the Democrats I know.

GO NEWT!

I understand his position.

It makes a kind of sense.

Some illegal immigranst are so insinuated into this nation, their roots so deep, their contributions so obvious, that it would be a crime against humanity to deport them.

I have no problem with that POV. Hell I'm even supportive of such a policy

But it will be hard to enforce such a policy if one is also coming down hard on all people without papers.

Not impossible, but difficult to enforce such a subtle law.

Immigration was never a big deal to the GOP or the TEA Party. You have the Mintueman group, and they are loud and noise, but never as much an influence as you think they are.

the TEA Party cares about the size of government and the amount we are being taxed. They have no issue with Newt on that and they don't really trust Romney because he's been all over the map.

Political gamble for Gingrich on immigration - CNN.com

He may have cooked his goose with the ultra right for the GOP nomination. I hope not, as do most of the Democrats I know.

GO NEWT!

I understand his position.

It makes a kind of sense.

Some illegal immigranst are so insinuated into this nation, their roots so deep, their contributions so obvious, that it would be a crime against humanity to deport them.

I have no problem with that POV. Hell I'm even supportive of such a policy

But it will be hard to enforce such a policy if one is also coming down hard on all people without papers.

Not impossible, but difficult to enforce such a subtle law.

I think you will have to look at what he actually said. He said that such matters should be heard by a board, like the draft boards they used to have for selective service.

Which would mean that if you are an illegal, but you've been part of your community, you can get your neighbors, your pastor, your co-workers to testify on your behalf. "Yeah, Juan's a great guy, other than that forged documentation thingee." It replaces arbitrary regulations with sensible human judgement.

Now, of course, this can be abused. ONe area might have a lenient board while others might have a hard ass one.

Immigration was never a big deal to the GOP or the TEA Party. You have the Mintueman group, and they are loud and noise, but never as much an influence as you think they are.

the TEA Party cares about the size of government and the amount we are being taxed. They have no issue with Newt on that and they don't really trust Romney because he's been all over the map.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2Fstories%2F2011%2F10%2F07%2Fopinion%2Fmain20117183.shtml&ei=pvbOTpDJLtKGsALPhtyyDg&usg=AFQjCNHe8o619pBBSZ4KcbrkX-tr5wVeLg&sig2=BzPWBnpp-J68kQekKDenLw

The tea party basically spat on Perry once he said something humane about the immigrants.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDQQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.texastribune.org%2Ftexas-politics%2F2012-presidential-election%2Ftea-parties-press-rick-perry-immigration%2F&ei=pvbOTpDJLtKGsALPhtyyDg&usg=AFQjCNFTV226fQ4bdDzeP5e_uX2adc6B9A&sig2=kji8PLtv7Kh7b5EV0fQ2DA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEIQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Farticles.cnn.com%2F2011-09-12%2Fpolitics%2Fdebate.teaparty_1_bachmann-tea-party-debate-mitt-romney%3F_s%3DPM%3APOLITICS&ei=pvbOTpDJLtKGsALPhtyyDg&usg=AFQjCNHBF2uxm8oRPAc_VZ0iRukBdGiw-g&sig2=ir5stSNiDBoC6g2eeFTs6g

Did you not know this? Of course the tea party is about immigration issues and they ate him up when he said something that made sense about it.

The tea party basically spat on Perry once he said something humane about the immigrants.

Did you not know this? Of course the tea party is about immigration issues and they ate him up when he said something that made sense about it.

Actually, they spat him out because he worded it in such a way that was awful... Perry is in trouble because he sounds like he's channelling George W. Bush at these debates. Except he's actually making Bush sound smart.

Forum List

Back