Gingrich says he's considering presidential run

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Gingrich says he's considering presidential run - Yahoo! News

DES MOINES, Iowa – Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Monday he's seriously considering seeking the Republican presidential nomination and will announce his decision early next year.

Gingrich, 67, told The Associated Press that he would focus on helping Republican candidates through the midterm elections in November, then decide in February or March whether to seek the GOP nomination.

"I've never been this serious," Gingrich said.
"It's fair to say that by February the groundwork will have been laid to consider seriously whether or not to run," he said.

Gingrich has been mentioned as a possible 2012 presidential candidate along with other Republicans, including former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

Gingrich had a long congressional career and was House speaker from 1995 to 1999. He was given much of the credit for the Republican takeover of the House in 1994. But he abruptly resigned from Congress in 1998 after his party faired poorly in midterm elections. He also was reprimanded by the House ethics panel for using tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals.

The former speaker, who championed a family values agenda, spearheaded efforts to impeach Clinton for perjury over his affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Gingrich later admitted having an extramarital affair of his own in 1998 with a former congressional aide, Callista Bisek. He married Bisek after divorcing his second wife, Marianne.

Thanks to Obama's performance, Gingrich said he expected that whoever wins the Republican nomination would win the White House.

Gingrich, Palin, Romney, and Huckabee all in the rat race for the Republican nomination most likely for 2012. A victory for any of them will be a victory..for Obama. :lol:

Thoughts USMB?

Bright guy, but way too much baggage. The press would have a field day with him.

Hes a lying sack of shit.

Don't be so hard on Modbert.
His "ethics violation" was nothing. Literally there was no criminal or civil case made. And subsequently plenty of Democrats did the same thing with no repercussion at all. It's that double standard thing.
All told I would have a hard time getting excited about Newt. Now, if Dick Armey ran, that would be different.

He's 67 years old. NOW. It's more than 2 years till the election. Then if elected a 4 year term. And of course a run for a second term with a possibility of actually succeeding. In one of the most stressful jobs in the world. Somehow I just can't see it happening for him.

If he really had the cajones to face his baggage he would have run against Gore in 2000 when he was less than 2 years out and still fresh. He won't do it. ;)

BTW im all for Newt Running. In fact, the more the merrier. I like having a choice.

And if the press is focused on him it will keep them off some other qualified candidates without the baggage.

har!

newt-gingrich-baby.jpg

Gingrich says he's considering presidential run - Yahoo! News

DES MOINES, Iowa – Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Monday he's seriously considering seeking the Republican presidential nomination and will announce his decision early next year.

Gingrich, 67, told The Associated Press that he would focus on helping Republican candidates through the midterm elections in November, then decide in February or March whether to seek the GOP nomination.

"I've never been this serious," Gingrich said.
"It's fair to say that by February the groundwork will have been laid to consider seriously whether or not to run," he said.

Gingrich has been mentioned as a possible 2012 presidential candidate along with other Republicans, including former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

Gingrich had a long congressional career and was House speaker from 1995 to 1999. He was given much of the credit for the Republican takeover of the House in 1994. But he abruptly resigned from Congress in 1998 after his party faired poorly in midterm elections. He also was reprimanded by the House ethics panel for using tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals.

The former speaker, who championed a family values agenda, spearheaded efforts to impeach Clinton for perjury over his affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Gingrich later admitted having an extramarital affair of his own in 1998 with a former congressional aide, Callista Bisek. He married Bisek after divorcing his second wife, Marianne.

Thanks to Obama's performance, Gingrich said he expected that whoever wins the Republican nomination would win the White House.

Gingrich, Palin, Romney, and Huckabee all in the rat race for the Republican nomination most likely for 2012. A victory for any of them will be a victory..for Obama. :lol:

Thoughts USMB?

I think Gingrich could possibly take on Obama with Romney as his VP...that ticket is semi-tempting to me. Romney just because I know he can actually handle a budget and Gingrich because he can actually articulate conservative ideas.

Still not my dream ticket....what is my dream ticket? Plymco_pilgrim and Modbert......fair and balanced ticket right there :)

Forum List

Back