Gingrich Polling Poorly Outside of Republican Party

I just wish Chris Christie or Marco Rubio would join the race.

How many Pubs have Chris Christie's poster up on their bedroom wall?

After you get to know him, you'd call him a RINO. That's my guess.

Chris Christie: ‘Climate change is real’ | The Raw Story

Newt is unelectable to national office, IMO. He's the loosest of cannons. A big, heavy, self-centered, loose cannon.

Then why do you spend so much time talking about him?

It would strike me if you really thought that, you'd step back and let us nominate him.

I just wish Chris Christie or Marco Rubio would join the race.

Newt is unelectable to national office, IMO. He's the loosest of cannons. A big, heavy, self-centered, loose cannon.

It would strike me if you really thought that, you'd step back and let us nominate him.

Because I have total control over who you nominate. All I have to do is let you nominate him. :lol:

Seriously, Joe, you guys start threads about him, and I respond with derision. If I thought all I had to do was step back in order to insure Newt's nomination, I'd be doing it.

Now, incidently, I think if the economy rallies next year, Obama will probably get a second term regardless of who the GOP nominates.

Yep, it could definitely just boil down to that. I don't think the unemployment rate needs to be at 8% or 7.5%, but the trajectory will be the key. In which direction will things be heading in Nov 2012?

No way to know right now.

Because I have total control over who you nominate. All I have to do is let you nominate him. :lol:

Seriously, Joe, you guys start threads about him, and I respond with derision. If I thought all I had to do was step back in order to insure Newt's nomination, I'd be doing it.

Besides not knowing the difference between "ensure" and "insure" (well, it's a good thing you went to those "democratizing" Public Schools), your argument makes no sense. It would seem that if you wanted to "ensure" his getting the nomination, you'd attack Romney instead.

The real problem you have is that regardless of who the GOP nominates, Obama is unelectable if the economy continues on as it has or gets worse.

Now, incidently, I think if the economy rallies next year, Obama will probably get a second term regardless of who the GOP nominates.

Yep, it could definitely just boil down to that. I don't think the unemployment rate needs to be at 8% or 7.5%, but the trajectory will be the key. In which direction will things be heading in Nov 2012?

No way to know right now.

Well, I could take a guess based on what I am personally seeing in my job. 2011 sales were a lot worse than 2010 sales.

I also think that the unemployment rate is a false indicator, because it just measures people actually looking for jobs. If you factor in people who've given up and are working part time, things are a lot worse. It dropped from 9 to 8.6 in November, but that was because 350,000 people gave up compared to the 120,000 who got jobs.

Besides not knowing the difference between "ensure" and "insure" (well, it's a good thing you went to those "democratizing" Public Schools), your argument makes no sense. It would seem that if you wanted to "ensure" his getting the nomination, you'd attack Romney instead.

The real problem you have is that regardless of who the GOP nominates, Obama is unelectable if the economy continues on as it has or gets worse.

Joe, do you really want to play word games? Seriously? The man who doesn't understand the difference between the Democratic party and the word democracy wants to carry on about this? :lol:

Being a rational person [unlike yourself] I understand that my comments here cannot influence who the GOP nominates. Is that clear enough for you? If not, I can continue to explain. No problem at all.

You might remember FDR. The Great Depression continued, and yet he was reelected.

Joe, do you really want to play word games? Seriously? The man who doesn't understand the difference between the Democratic party and the word democracy wants to carry on about this? :lol:

Being a rational person [unlike yourself] I understand that my comments here cannot influence who the GOP nominates. Is that clear enough for you? If not, I can continue to explain. No problem at all.

You might remember FDR. The Great Depression continued, and yet he was reelected.

Oh, I understand the word game, exactly. Whenever a liberal talks about the "democratizing" effect of Public Education, he means liberal indoctrination. For everyone else's kids. Their kids go to private schools.

And if you have to go back to 1936 to find an example of a guy with a messed up economy getting re-elected, then you are desperate.

FDR was re-elected because the Depression had improved from a high of 25% unemployment down to 15% unemployment. Not great, but a lot better. Also, between 1930 and 1936, the GOP had lost 80% of its seats in Congress in four successive losing elections. It had ceased to function as an effective oppossition party. The real political divide was between conservative Southern Democrats and liberal northern ones, which FDR had to mollify by taking Garner as a running-mate.

(John Nance Garner. Most fondly remembered for saying the Vice Presidency isn't worth a bucket of Warm Spit. Except no one remembers him. and he said piss, not spit.)

Newt is doing very poorly amongst independents.

Why, you may ask, is the meteoric rise of Newt Gingrich giving so many in the Republican establishment a bit of holiday-season indigestion?

Look no further than party leaders' worries about the shaky Gingrich relationship with a category of Americans who may matter more than any other in the 2012 election: independent voters.

While the coming presidential primary season has visions of dueling Democrats and Republicans dancing in our heads, the fastest-growing voter category in the country is the group of voters who count themselves as none of the above. As disdain for the two main parties grows, it shouldn't come as a surprise that record numbers of Americans are registering as independent voters. ...

For now, at least, he doesn't go over particularly well with that growing bloc of independent voters, and does decidedly worse among them than does his main opponent for the Republican nomination, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

In a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll completed just last week, Mr. Romney edges out President Barack Obama among independent voters, 41% to 39%, in a hypothetical matchup. Independents in the survey preferred Mr. Obama to Mr. Gingrich, 50% to 28%.

In other words, there is a 24-point swing against Republicans among independents when the hypothetical nominee is Mr. Gingrich rather than Mr. Romney. That's why, overall, Mr. Romney runs almost even with the president in the poll, while Mr. Gingrich loses to him badly.

"Independents are repelled by Gingrich because he's a full-throated partisan, and that is like nails on a chalkboard to them," says Jim Kessler, vice president for policy for the Third Way.

Full-throated partisanship, after all, is the reason most independents became independents. ...

"I don't think Obama is near closing the deal with independents," Mr. Kessler says. "Income disparity and populism are not the right notes with this audience." Independents, he says, are looking for "a country-over-party theme."

Yet Newt Gingrich is hardly the ideal candidate to take advantage of this opening. In the Journal/NBC News poll, 40% of independents reported negative feelings about him, while just 16% registered positive feelings.

That's a big reason for the nervousness GOP establishment figures are exhibiting, with some rushing to back Mr. Romney. In recent days, figures as disparate as South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, former presidential nominee Bob Dole and more than 100 elected Republican leaders in New Jersey have endorsed him.

Newt Gingrich Threatens GOP's Chance to Nab Independents - WSJ.com

Forum List

Back