Gingrich moon colony wasn't considered crackpot

It was only Romney hired slandering thugs that put that idea out that a moon base was stupid.

And of course gullible conservatives swallowed it whole like every other lie Romney has told in the last six months.

There's many trillions of dollars of resources on the moon....
-Resources
-fresh water
-No Atmosphere for telescopes
-second basket against being wiped out.

Many reasons for a moon base/colony. What's stupid is the fact that we quit...Now that's stupid.

Last edited:
It was only Romney hired slandering thugs that put that idea out that a moon base was stupid.
And of course gullible conservatives swallowed it whole like every other lie Romney has told in the last six months.

How about some documentation on that theory . . . . ?

How about you just google it?

I dont have time to provide proof for facts of the public domain.

But just this once....
http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insi...-jolt-debate-leaves-newt-gingrich-moonstruck/

From Romney, ridiculing Gingrich’s plan to privatize a lunar settlement: “I spent 25 years in business. If I had a business executive come to me and say they wanted to spend a few hundred billion dollars to put a colony on the moon, I’d say, ‘You’re fired.’”

Of course that was during a debate where his opponent was proposing the idea. Once he is debating Obama, if Obama is opposed to a moon base, then Romney will declare it the best idea he has ever heard and only a moron would ever be against it.

Last edited:

How about some documentation on that theory . . . . ?

How about you just google it?

I dont have time to provide proof for facts of the public domain.

But just this once....
Your morning jolt: Debate leaves Newt Gingrich moonstruck | Political Insider

From Romney, ridiculing Gingrich’s plan to privatize a lunar settlement: “I spent 25 years in business. If I had a business executive come to me and say they wanted to spend a few hundred billion dollars to put a colony on the moon, I’d say, ‘You’re fired.’”

Of course that was during a debate where his opponent was proposing the idea. Once he is debating Obama, if Obama is opposed to a moon base, then Romney will declare it the best idea he has ever heard and only a moron would ever be against it.

You take a lot from very little; but that's the way of those who rely on ridicule to make their points. I'm a huge proponent of manned space travel, having been a charter member of the Planetary Society and contributing member since 1984 and I just see it as a minor political issue on Romney's record for or against manned human presence in space.

Like so many people, Romney is not fully informed about space and "spoke off the cuff" to counter a political opponent. It means little to nothing to me as a supporter both politically and scientifically.

It was not the subject, but the source. Gingrinch has promised the moon to three women for sure, and promising it to 300 million americans is not something I would expect him to actually try to put into effect.

I think he would and that you are mistaken. He has shown himself to be a strong proponent of the X-prize, and of he were president [which he never will be] he would leverage that outcome because to him it is the logical critical path to human presence in space. He like so many others of his generation are vested in that future.

Like so many people, Romney is not fully informed about space and "spoke off the cuff" to counter a political opponent. It means little to nothing to me as a supporter both politically and scientifically.

And like so many, you also dismiss Romney's opinions you disagree with and then excuse it.

Roney's super packs spent millions in Florida ridiculing Gingrich for the moon base idea and that was the real damage to lunar settlement.

And like so many, you also dismiss Romney's opinions you disagree with and then excuse it.

Roney's super packs spent millions in Florida ridiculing Gingrich for the moon base idea and that was the real damage to lunar settlement.

Somehow I just don't believe you. The idea of ridiculing more NASA endeavors by Romney in opposition to Gingrich simply wouldn't fly in Florida since Florida is the home of NASA, KSC, and the seat of the space program.

Did you actually see these hit pieces on TV or are you projecting your own notions out of dislike for Romney? Had he done that he would've lost votes in Florida instead of gained them. Romney's comment at the debate at the U. of North Florida that if he had a chief exec who wanted to spend a couple of hundred billions on a moon base doesn't live up to your comment in bolded letters.

I see from your profile you are from Fredricksburg VA, a long way from Florida. I visit the space coast every year, and have since '72, have relatives living there, and own property there. I know what the space program means to Floridians. Your assertion seems to be BS to me.

What happened?

Space 1999
That was just good television. I suppose it had some resonance with "1999 a Space Odyssey" (Kubrick/Clarke)

That, too, was outageous fiction; no one in 1968 believed it would would happen as shown in the movie. A manned spaceflight to Saturn? A huge space station shaped like rotating wheel to create artificial gravity in Eath orbit? It was all a flight of fancy for staging his otherwise boring space opera. He also predicted a space elevator to transport cargo into Eath orbit. A thousand years from now that will still not be built.

What happened?

Space 1999
That was just good television. I suppose it had some resonance with "1999 a Space Odyssey" (Kubrick/Clarke)

That, too, was outageous fiction; no one in 1968 believed it would would happen as shown in the movie. A manned spaceflight to Saturn? A huge space station shaped like rotating wheel to create artificial gravity in Eath orbit? It was all a flight of fancy for staging his otherwise boring space opera. He also predicted a space elevator to transport cargo into Eath orbit. A thousand years from now that will still not be built.

The movie was 2001 A Space Odyssey - not 1999....................................................................

Forum List

Back