Gingrich: Middle class unemployed are lazy!

The unemployed do have a point. If you are making $400 a week through unemployment, and are offered a job at $8.00 an hour or $320 a week, what would you do? Suppose you did take the low paying job. You would have less time for a job search for a job in your field that pays substantially better, or at least matches unemployment, and if you are laid off again from this job, you would be receiving much less in future unemployment.

Pretzel logic at its best,stick with something you KNOW will end,rather than venture forth and move on with a new job.Life can be harsh,but the big bad world owes you NOTHING.

On unemloyment you can make 1600 a month? Wow.

Blather...the title of the thread is: 'Gingrich: Middle class unemployed are lazy!' And then you proceeded to say the same thing. You are not an 'independent', you spew the same vile right wing disdain for working families as the authoritarian scum bag Newt and today's far right GOP.

It seems to me that the person the original article discussed didn't belong to a "working" family. He seemed content on "not working" and taking what he felt he was "entitled" to.

You can lump me with the Republicans to your heart's desire. It's YOUR attitude that is driving Independents away from the Democratic party. Your "If you're not in lockstep with us, you are in lockstep with THEM" mantra will cost you this election season, and depending on whom the Republicans can come up with, likely the White House in two years. My fear is that because of your idiocy, someone like Palin or Gingrich WILL get elected. That's what happens when you try so hard to alienate everyone that doesn't idealize what you idealize. The Republicans have done it for years, and now the Democrats are the same way. Your attempts at trying to make me out to be a villain because I don't pity the most worthless scum in America won't work. I still think your ideals are fucked.

Time and time again, conservatives have claimed that extending unemployment benefits for the unemployed is breeding laziness and lack of productivity. Newt Gingrich was the latest to adopt this meme. Writing in an e-mail to supporters, Gingrich cited a Wall Street Journal story where unemployed 52-year-old mechanic Michael Hatchell explained that he couldn’t afford to take jobs that wouldn’t pay enough to take care of his family. Gingrich claimed “welfare” was keeping Hatchell from working.

Last night, Hatchell and his wife Sarah appeared on MSNBC’s Countdown With Keith Olbermann to explain his family’s circumstances in his own words. The mechanic said “it’s really hard for someone like Mr. Gingrich” to understand the challenges his family faces. He explained that the jobs he was offered would not have paid enough to cover his home’s mortgage or support of his family, so he chose to stay on unemployment insurance. He also took offense at Gingrich’s use of the word “welfare” to slur his taking of unemployment insurance, pointing out that he worked for 35 years, paying into unemployment insurance, and that he was simply taking money out of a fund that he worked hard to pay into:

What part of this program does Gingrich NOT understand? Is this how he hopes to get more people into the GOP's "big tent"?

Think Progress Unemployed Man Reacts To Gingrich’s Accusation That ‘Welfare’ Is Making Him Lazy: I Paid Into It For 35 Years

I like it better when he gives his opinion on the values of marriage and family life. :cool:

Republicans look at Newt, a man who lied to his wives, kids, family, staff, co-workers and friends. A man who served his wife with divorce papers while she was in the hospital getting cancer surgery, a man who proposed to every new wife while sill married to the old wife and say, "What does that have to do with whether he would make a good president?"

Perhaps they don't see these as "character defects"? Maybe Republicans see these as "admirable qualities"?

Time and time again, conservatives have claimed that extending unemployment benefits for the unemployed is breeding laziness and lack of productivity. Newt Gingrich was the latest to adopt this meme. Writing in an e-mail to supporters, Gingrich cited a Wall Street Journal story where unemployed 52-year-old mechanic Michael Hatchell explained that he couldn’t afford to take jobs that wouldn’t pay enough to take care of his family. Gingrich claimed “welfare” was keeping Hatchell from working.

Last night, Hatchell and his wife Sarah appeared on MSNBC’s Countdown With Keith Olbermann to explain his family’s circumstances in his own words. The mechanic said “it’s really hard for someone like Mr. Gingrich” to understand the challenges his family faces. He explained that the jobs he was offered would not have paid enough to cover his home’s mortgage or support of his family, so he chose to stay on unemployment insurance. He also took offense at Gingrich’s use of the word “welfare” to slur his taking of unemployment insurance, pointing out that he worked for 35 years, paying into unemployment insurance, and that he was simply taking money out of a fund that he worked hard to pay into:

What part of this program does Gingrich NOT understand? Is this how he hopes to get more people into the GOP's "big tent"?

Think Progress Unemployed Man Reacts To Gingrich’s Accusation That ‘Welfare’ Is Making Him Lazy: I Paid Into It For 35 Years

has gingrich ever worked?

hasn't he made his money as a career politician ?

and what about those other conservatives who keep claiming that liberals don't work...

likel imbaugh
and coulter
and savage

have THEY ever worked?

don't they just get riching validating the fears and hatreds of moronicons?

btw...I have a new book coming out...

it's all about how liberals hate America and god and want to destroy our constitution...

it's only $29.95 at your local book store

buy it!
and make me RICH regurgitating the same vile hatreds and fears that you have in all your OTHER books....

Thanks

The unemployed do have a point. If you are making $400 a week through unemployment, and are offered a job at $8.00 an hour or $320 a week, what would you do? Suppose you did take the low paying job. You would have less time for a job search for a job in your field that pays substantially better, or at least matches unemployment, and if you are laid off again from this job, you would be receiving much less in future unemployment.

Pretzel logic at its best,stick with something you KNOW will end,rather than venture forth and move on with a new job.Life can be harsh,but the big bad world owes you NOTHING.

Yes, depending on how much you made previously and for how long. If you were making $10 an hour while you were working--then no. It sounds like a lot, unless you were making over $1000 a week when working. No one is doing well on unemployment.

About 12 years ago I worked for a company that closed and laid everyone off. I received $350 a week from MD, which was the highest amount you could receive. It still didn't nearly cover my bills though, and I did have to use credit cards a lot for food, etc. At the time though, it was easier to find a job, so I was only on it a few months.

Republicans look at Newt, a man who lied to his wives, kids, family, staff, co-workers and friends. A man who served his wife with divorce papers while she was in the hospital getting cancer surgery, a man who proposed to every new wife while sill married to the old wife and say, "What does that have to do with whether he would make a good president?"

Perhaps they don't see these as "character defects"? Maybe Republicans see these as "admirable qualities"?

Odd...Democrats said the same thing about Bill Clinton's affair. I agreed with them.

Some can. It depends on the state and how much you were putting into your unemployment insurance before Republicans moved your job to China.

How much jobless pay would you get? - MSN Money

But the average nationwide is 293 dollars a week.

Some can. It depends on the state and how much you were putting into your unemployment insurance before Republicans moved your job to China.

How much jobless pay would you get? - MSN Money

But the average nationwide is 293 dollars a week.
And, more importantly, unlike welfare (which many like to compare it to) you do have to pay income taxes--federal, state, local, etc. So you're not coming home with 1,600 a month.

Odd...Democrats said the same thing about Bill Clinton's affair. I agreed with them.

Clinton shouldn't have been getting BJ's from someone NOT his wife. Especially while President. But, while wrong, he was lying to his wife. It was Republicans who made it a "national cause".

But did he serve his cancer stricken wife with divorce papers while she was getting surgery? Has he been married time and again while publicly saying his gay sister shouldn't have the same rights as him because he's protecting the "sanctity" of marriage?

Ah, Republican values. So few, so predictable, so awful.

Clinton shouldn't have been getting BJ's from someone NOT his wife. Especially while President. But, while wrong, he was lying to his wife. It was Republicans who made it a "national cause".

But did he serve his cancer stricken wife with divorce papers while she was getting surgery? Has he been married time and again while publicly saying his gay sister shouldn't have the same rights as him because he's protecting the "sanctity" of marriage?

Oh, so Newt is worse because his wife was sick. I get it: it's not okay to cheat, but it's less okay to cheat on a sick person.

Democrats values: as long as you ain't Republican, it's okay!

Oh, so Newt is worse because his wife was sick. I get it: it's not okay to cheat, but it's less okay to cheat on a sick person.

Democrats values: as long as you ain't Republican, it's okay!

I think any man would be considered to have shallow values when he leaves one wife (TWICE) for someone younger and prettier. Guiliani did the same thing.

and what about those other conservatives who keep claiming that liberals don't work...

likel imbaugh
and coulter
and savage

have THEY ever worked?

I saw this in an earlier post.....

How about Our dear Mr. President?....oh yeh community organizer,whatever the hell that is.

dude, its not that the unemployed are lazy (although some of them love the taxpayer money), its that a lot of them are unemployable, meaning, they aren't qualified to do ANYTHING that would benefit society.
No. It's the fact that THERE ARE NO JOBS!!!!!

NO jobs? In America? I thought all you need was an education to make it good in America?
That has never been completely true. even the smartest, most capable people need a venue in which to work. If America had no space program, all those rocket scientists would have to seek work overseas.

dude, its not that the unemployed are lazy (although some of them love the taxpayer money), its that a lot of them are unemployable, meaning, they aren't qualified to do ANYTHING that would benefit society.
No. It's the fact that THERE ARE NO JOBS!!!!!

pew6.PNG

The job market itself also has changed. During the crisis, companies slashed millions of middle-skill, middle-wage jobs. That has created a glut of people who can't qualify for highly skilled jobs but have a hard time adjusting to low-pay, unskilled work like the food servers that Pilot Flying J seeks for its truck stops.

Some Firms Struggle to Fill Jobs Despite High Unemployment - WSJ.com

P1-AW648_HIRE_p_NS_20100808185217.gif

Funny, even though employers say they can't get enough "skilled" employees, Republicans don't see "education" as a "solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
We know that our economy is driven by consumers. Yet the Republicans tell us that those consumers don't deserve a break as much as the wealthy do. How can they sell this message? Coddle the rich and everything works out in the end?

Give the Middle Class a break, get credit into their hands and capital to spread around and the production engine will start up again.

likel imbaugh
and coulter
and savage

have THEY ever worked?

I saw this in an earlier post.....

How about Our dear Mr. President?....oh yeh community organizer,whatever the hell that is.

Limgaubh worked, his daddy owned the radio station....

Forum List

Back