Gingrich Daughter's Teen Work May Have Violated Law [US Dept. of Labor: Child Labor L

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Gingrich Daughter's Teen Work May Have Violated Law [US Dept. of Labor: Child Labor Laws Broken?]
MSNBC ^ | January 18, 2012 | Eve Tahmincioglu
Bottom Line - Gingrich daughter's teen work may have violated law

Gingrich Daughter's Teen Work May Have Violated Law

By Eve Tahmincioglu During the Republican presidential debate this week, Newt Gingrich shared a story about how his daughter worked as a church janitor when she was only 13.

“I was actually proud of my clean bathrooms,” Jackie Gingrich Cushman said in an telephone interview Tuesday, referring to the janitorial job she held at the First Baptist Church in Carrollton, Ga., in the early 1980s. “I learned work has value.”

But that work may have been a violation of federal child labor laws that her father has denounced as “stupid.”

Cushman was 13 when she took the part-time, minimum-wage janitorial job, scrubbing bathrooms two days a week using cleaning supplies and a bucket. She said working as a janitor was a "great experience." Asked if she was working legally as a janitor for the church, Cushman said, "I certainly hope so."

But based on child labor laws in effect now and in the 1980s, 13-year-olds are not allowed to hold janitorial jobs, said Michael Hancock, assistant administrator for policy in the wage and hour division of the U.S. Department of Labor.

(Excerpt) Read more at bottomline.msnbc.msn.com ...

This is insane! WTF is wrong with our laws...Newt gingrich was right to have his daughter working at a early age. Under a president Gingrich, I'd hope these child labor laws will be changed to make sense. A 12-13 year old should be a janitor!

Gingrich Daughter's Teen Work May Have Violated Law [US Dept. of Labor: Child Labor Laws Broken?]

By Eve Tahmincioglu During the Republican presidential debate this week, Newt Gingrich shared a story about how his daughter worked as a church janitor when she was only 13.

“I was actually proud of my clean bathrooms,” Jackie Gingrich Cushman said in an telephone interview Tuesday, referring to the janitorial job she held at the First Baptist Church in Carrollton, Ga., in the early 1980s. “I learned work has value.”

But that work may have been a violation of federal child labor laws that her father has denounced as “stupid.”

Cushman was 13 when she took the part-time, minimum-wage janitorial job, scrubbing bathrooms two days a week using cleaning supplies and a bucket. She said working as a janitor was a "great experience." Asked if she was working legally as a janitor for the church, Cushman said, "I certainly hope so."

But based on child labor laws in effect now and in the 1980s, 13-year-olds are not allowed to hold janitorial jobs, said Michael Hancock, assistant administrator for policy in the wage and hour division of the U.S. Department of Labor.

This is insane! WTF is wrong with our laws...Newt gingrich was right to have his daughter working at a early age. Under a president Gingrich, I'd hope these child labor laws will be changed to make sense. A 12-13 year old should be a janitor!

OMG--time to start arresting all those paper delivery boys and girls. This is a total outrage---:lol::lol::lol:

A 12-13 year old should be in school

Because working is evil

I agree, there are some stupid laws in this country. Heck I was babysitting at 12, my sisters were at 10. Also at 12 I was berry picking, the only job you could do without a social security card which back then you didn't have to have until you were 16.

OMG--time to start arresting all those paper delivery boys and girls. This is a total outrage---:lol::lol::lol:

Don't forget busting all those children with lemonade stands.

Oh wait, they're already doing that.:lol:

Just unreal.

I didn't see anything in there saying she'd quit school to do the job....

Didn't say that she did.

I'm responding to the claim by Matthew that a 12-13 year old should be a janitor. They should not. They should be a student.

Ahh...MSDNC, that figures. True to left-wing politics, when attacking a Republican candidate fails, then attack their family and children. But, always remember, the family and children of Democrats are off limits.

Ahh...MSDNC, that figures. True to left-wing politics, when attacking a Republican candidate fails, then attack their family and children. But, always remember, the family and children of Democrats are off limits.

Yeah, I'm so sick of MSNBC attacking Michelle Obama constantly, how can they attack the man's family, that's fucked!

Yeah, I'm so sick of MSNBC attacking Michelle Obama constantly, how can they attack the man's family, that's fucked!

They seem to manage to maintain rational thought when it comes to the Obama family. It's just right wing politicians whose family are fair game.

MSNBC are a sad bunch of left wing hacks. Decent journalism comes a poor second to their rabid bullshit.

Instead of bottomline Pmsnbc, it should be called bottom of the barrel Pmsnbc..

this is PATHETIC..now they are going after his children.

Didn't say that she did.

I'm responding to the claim by Matthew that a 12-13 year old should be a janitor. They should not. They should be a student.

There is a LOT to be learned with a simple manual labor job like the value of money earned and the pride of doing a good job.

Apparently you do not understand these concepts or why you need to gain that at a young age. School covers other things.

I should sue the fuck outta my parents!!!

I did janitor work
Yard work in the heat of summer and the freezing cold of winter.
Painter
mover

MY GAWD my parents were EVUL conservative MEANIES!!!!

:(

oh the horror of it all.

Didn't say that she did.

There is a LOT to be learned with a simple manual labor job like the value of money earned and the pride of doing a good job.

Apparently you do not understand these concepts or why you need to gain that at a young age. School covers other things.

I completely agree.

Forum List

Back