Gingrich Backs Obamacare's Individual Mandate Requiring Health Insurance

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Sunday that he strongly supports a federal mandate requiring citizens to buy health insurance – a position that has been rejected by many Republicans, including several who likely will be running against him for the Republican presidential nomination.

Appearing on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Gingrich told host David Gregory that he continues to advocate for a plan he first called for in the early 1990s as a Congressman, which requires every uninsured citizen to purchase or acquire health insurance.

Gregory played a clip of Gingrich speaking during an appearance on Meet the Press in October 1993:

“I am for people, individuals -- exactly like automobile insurance -- individuals having health insurance and being required to have health insurance. And I am prepared to vote for a voucher system which will give individuals, on a sliding scale, a government subsidy so we insure that everyone as individuals have health insurance.”

Read more on Newsmax.com: Gingrich Backs Obamacare's Individual Mandate Requiring Health Insurance
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

The mandate is a Republican idea. It was proposed by Orrin Hatch and about 8 other Republicans still in office back in the early 90's in opposition to Hillary's proposal. And now they bitch about it and call it Marxist.

Why do I live in a world with delusional idiots and partisan hacks? It hurts.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Sunday that he strongly supports a federal mandate requiring citizens to buy health insurance – a position that has been rejected by many Republicans, including several who likely will be running against him for the Republican presidential nomination.

Appearing on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Gingrich told host David Gregory that he continues to advocate for a plan he first called for in the early 1990s as a Congressman, which requires every uninsured citizen to purchase or acquire health insurance.

Gregory played a clip of Gingrich speaking during an appearance on Meet the Press in October 1993:

“I am for people, individuals -- exactly like automobile insurance -- individuals having health insurance and being required to have health insurance. And I am prepared to vote for a voucher system which will give individuals, on a sliding scale, a government subsidy so we insure that everyone as individuals have health insurance.”

Read more on Newsmax.com: Gingrich Backs Obamacare's Individual Mandate Requiring Health Insurance
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!
After advocating a mandate with David Gregory yesterday, here he is today, flipping once again.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i01NWHX4Ez8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Newt: I oppose the Obamacare mandate. Period.[/ame]

The sooner Newt washes out as a candidate the better.

That's right out of the repub playbook. Oppose everything a dem wants to do because they are dems. Then back away from the "solutions" they proposed.

Newt was for mandates before he was against mandates.

Jeff Gannon still likes mandates. Get it? Man dates?

That's right out of the repub playbook. Oppose everything a dem wants to do because they are dems. Then back away from the "solutions" they proposed.

Newt was for mandates before he was against mandates.

You're describing the politics of both major parties, not just one.

ok folks, you know when the Liberals start giving kudos to a Republican candidate running for President, that is the ONE to RUN away from.

Newt should run as a Progressive, that is what he is. He is dirtying up the Republican pool.

go away Newt.

Weird the way Republicans have turned on Obama's Romneycare. They liked it before they hated it. In fact, many parts of it was their idea.

And Newt is done for.

individual mandate was a CONSERVATIVE/REPUBLICAN idea. it was devised by the heritage foundation as an alternative to a single payor system.

the only reason the rightwingnuts hate it now is that president obama passed it. because the right no longer has any principles... conservative or otherwise.

but don't worry... newt woke up this a.m. and said he was against it.

so i think it's safe to say "he was for it before he was against it".

:rofl:

huckabee -- done
trump -- done
newt -- done
palin -- done
romney?? shouldn't be done --- but might be.

leaving the stupid people who are unelectable to carry the rightwingnut banner.

way to go.

And Newt is done for.

individual mandate was a CONSERVATIVE/REPUBLICAN idea. it was devised by the heritage foundation as an alternative to a single payor system.

the only reason the rightwingnuts hate it now is that president obama passed it. because the right no longer has any principles... conservative or otherwise.

huckabee -- done
trump -- done
newt -- done
palin -- done

way to go.

You and rightwinger need to combine lists:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3646463-post1.html

And Newt is done for.

huckabee -- done
trump -- done
newt -- done
palin -- done

way to go.

You and rightwinger need to combine lists:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3646463-post1.html

all well and good. it's not like the information requires government clearance or anything.

How do you pay for insurance if you're unemployed? You have to pay for car insurance if you're unemployed or just not drive. I assume the same would be true for health insurance.

Just not live?

Maybe the State will provide stasis chambers until you can pay. :eusa_pray:

And then make you pay for it? OR, more to President Obama's evident liking, they'll drop the bill on your grandkids!

And Newt is done for.

huckabee -- done
trump -- done
newt -- done
palin -- done

way to go.

Actually, it's

Huckabee - not running
Trump - was never gonna run
Newt - Who gives a shit? He won't win.
Palin - Never actually announced, but the left struggle with that FACT.
Romney - from those currently declared, could be the next President.

And.... stupid people elected the last president too. So ain't no big shit.

I didn't care for Newt before. Now, he has given me even more refined polished reasons to detest him as a candidate.

Fuck off Newt.

The GOP has some serious problems. You have become one of those problems. You are yesterday's news.

You accomplished a little bit in the receding pages of history. But your day is done.

Go write a dull book or sumpin'.

I didn't care for Newt before. Now, he has given me even more refined polished reasons to detest him as a candidate.

Fuck off Newt.

The GOP has some serious problems. You have become one of those problems. You are yesterday's news.

You accomplished a little bit in the receding pages of history. But your day is done.

Go write a dull book or sumpin'.

newt has always been one of the republicans' problems.

we just think he is for different reasons.

Forum List

Back