Gift Cards as Gifts for Christmas

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
It's all I have the energy to do this year.

Do you give them to family? Do you like getting them?

I like getting them if it's to places I actually go. I'd honestly prefer cash. :lol:

Rather than pick a store, I'd recommend the Visa gift cards. They can be used anywhere.

I don't mind them.

My wife and I usually go shopping together these days. Gauranteed to get what you want that way. Though I do go to extremes to get her a surprise or two. She likes surprises. Me, not so much. In fact, if it weren't for her, I probably wouldn't bother with Christmas. Especially since my dad died. He was Santa. The last few years of his life, especially the last two, he worked as a Santa. Real beard and all. He had a photo I.D. from the City of Los Angeles with the name Kris Kringle on it with a photo of him in costume. All year round children would approach him everywhere he went, telling him what they wanted for Christmas. Their eyes would get huge when he told them yes, he was Santa. He would reah into his fanny-pack and give them little toy, stuffed animals or little race cars, and tell them to "be good."

This is a picture of him:

Dad2.jpg

He signed it to one of his favorite authors, Louise Ure. She was quite fond of Dad. Sent him a galley proof of her book Liars Anonymous to read before he died. I haven't been able to bring myself to read it yet.

Christmas, for now I can take it or leave it.

Last edited:
My kids like gift cards ... and it makes life easier for me! I no longer know what sizes they wear, what CDs they want, what they really need, etc. This year I'm giving them a couple gifts to open and larger $ gift cards to places they said they would like to use them. The only thing I have left to do is write a check to my daughter-in-law to get something she and my son would like to have. I also need to get a couple of Christmas cards.

Everyone who knows you will be thrilled with whatever you do. Ignore anyone who tells you different. Do what you can do. Christmas is not about getting stuff - it's about caring for your family, friends and (for some) people you don't even know. Simple.

I love gift cards. I want actual gifts from my daughter, my boyfriend but anyone else can make it easy on themselves.

No and no.

The general feeling is you can't be bothered to actually buy something, why bother giving gifts at all.

You mean YOUR general feeling.

If it wasn't for my 14 year old daughter, I'd just rather skip Christmas this year.

No and no.

The general feeling is you can't be bothered to actually buy something, why bother giving gifts at all.

You mean YOUR general feeling.

If it wasn't for my 14 year old daughter, I'd just rather skip Christmas this year.
Not just me, that is from years of experience making that mistake more then once.

If I could get away with it, I would.

I actually do like gift cards and my kids LOVE getting them too. My kids are strange though...they like gift cards to Starbucks the best. I do send them to a couple of the boys in our family,especially now that they have gotten older and are in high school (I don't have a clue what they would want..so I let them pick something out). Another great gift idea is movie passes,usually you can get them at a discounted rate and the person you give them to can use them anytime. The last time I bought them they were $6.50 each.

I think they are great for business gifts. But for people you actually care about? Not my style.

I agree.. I may get some as stocking stuffers, or as add-on's to another gift, but not just gift cards by themselves.. I like shopping for people, and I like surprising people...

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" quite as loud as a nice, crisp, newly printed $100.00 bill. Seems like it is always the correct size and it's rarely ever returned. For some reason it always brings on a smile...

xotoxi-albums-pictures-2-picture831-dramatic-gopher.gif

YOUR DAD WAS SANTA???

Sorry to hear that he's not with us anymore.

I guess the fact that he gone is why I have to pretend to be him for my kids.

Who knows, maybe in a few years I will pick up the mantle and carry on in his stead...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back